Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:32:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How "Normal" Do You Think It Is For Adults To Be Celibate?  (Read 4290 times)
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: September 29, 2014, 09:59:46 am »

I was a virgin and I had never dated before I became involved in GCx.  While at the Church, I obviously met a lot of people who didn't date and many had never dated.  Now, years since I left there, I know some people who never married and some of them are probably still virgins.  Of course, being a virgin is not a bad thing or anything to be ashamed of.  Even if GCx was preaching a message of guys and girls should remain separate from each other, I appreciated talking to people one-on-one and understanding that they had normal sexual desires.  Anyway, I was just wondering what people here thought about this.  Do you believe it's normal for somebody to be an adult and choose to live without sex?  Please remember this is not just a GCx thing... or even an evangelical Church thing, for that matter. 

FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »

No... That being said, I did think it abnormal to put pressure on people to not date outside of GCx, so that this would lower people's chances of finding a mate. I don't think it's fair to limit people in who they can date, if they are still sharing in some common goals and beliefs -- even if they attend a different church. Life doesn't just happen to us -- we have to go engage with life, too.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:00:48 am »

Here is the Christian/Biblical Counseling view (which I also endorse):

- Jesus was the only sinless / perfect human to ever live,
- therefore Jesus was the only truly "normal" human to ever live,
- meaning that Jesus' philosophy, character, and social behaviors were and are the best models of normal human behavior we have.

The assumptions here are that we emulate the human elements of Jesus and not His divine privileges of power and foreknowledge, and that the word normal refers to God's ideal behavioral expectations of humans and not what "everyone else does."  Lastly, sin is not a God-sanctioned human "norm" but rather a self-imposed commonality of humanity that will one day be dismissed for the abnormality that it has always been.

That was a long winded way of saying that while sinful conduct, like sex outside of marriage, is common it is not a biblically or socially healthy practice at which God winks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: