Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:11:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inbred leadership and marriage  (Read 4854 times)
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: October 25, 2015, 05:41:05 pm »

One of my friends posted this the other day, I'm leaving out names and stuff for privacy sake, but it struck me as really odd and very very telling of the messed up inbred leadership system that gcm is known for... "I am SO thankful for the wise leaders in my life and for a God who truly seeks His followers. [[Fun facts of the day: my fiancé and one of his brothers led worship, one of his other brothers gave the sermon, and my fiancé's dad led the Equipping Hour before the service. I think I'm getting the good end of the deal.]]" it's not a good deal that one family monopolizes the entire church, and the kids are pushed up through the ranks simply because of a name
jtk1983
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »

Its nice how that person sees that as something to brag about... but it's really quite sad because that person will have the hardest time getting out when they wake up.
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:35:05 pm »

I often think about the kids of many of these families... and I hurt for them. I know of a few who have "woken up" so to speak, and it's tough. You basically lose everything when you leave. I sure hope that if any eve read through these forums, and recognize who I am from my stories, and such -- that they would contact me if they needed anything. I won't ever be gone.
Outtathere
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:29 am »

I thought of the same thing yesterday. I was reading a website helping people leave Islam and I saw many similarities. GC doesn't put out fatwahs on those who leave, but the deeper the connection, the more shame you feel when you leave. I could relate to a comment made earlier today about feeling that you disappointed God. Imagine how much harder it is for kids who grow up in the system. I know of one family where one son felt like a total failure in life because he chose a college that wasn't connected to a GC campus and didn't follow the rest of his siblings into ministry. I always felt sorry for him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: