Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:53:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joshua Harris apology  (Read 6834 times)
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: May 11, 2016, 09:45:56 pm »

Hi! I just saw this article, which I will link below, about Joshua Harris apologizing to some people for the affects of his book, I kissed Dating Goodbye. Now, if you're like me and grew up in the great commission, there's no doubt this book at least crossed your path if you weren't actively involved in a book study on it. For me personally this was one of the more destructive aspects of great commission, basically my entire childhood/teen years were controlled by the book. I wasn't allowed to be alone in a room with boys, or alone in a car with boys, or to even think about what it might be like to kiss a boy. I remember during a service project meeting/hangout a guy friend and I asked to walk to the store about a block away to get chocolate milk and were told absolutely no way we're we allowed to go alone. I was admonished constantly for standing up to straight(because the only reason for good posture is to make your boobs more prominent) and for being "too flirtatious and distracting". So many things.... In short it was just kind of awful....
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:54:33 pm »

I'm so sorry. I hope you know that "rebuke" is NOT NORMAL communication in a normal (healthy) christian church.

Let us know what you find out about Joshua Harris' apology. I'm curious.

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 04:50:05 am »

My ex-pastor LOVED to rebuke. He LIVED to rebuke. He considered that his gift.  And I am not imagining this. He'd root out people's sins like pigs to black truffles.
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:53:12 am »

Getting back to Josh Harris, is this what you read, Different Strokes?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2016/05/josh-harris-apologizes.html

Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:04:59 am »

Oops I forgot the link! http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2016/05/josh-harris-apologizes.html
Yes it's the same! It's not really much of an apology,
But it's progress I think!
ScottChase
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:10:21 pm »

I can't even begin to describe the destruction this book and more importantly the people that believed it was gospel has done in my life. Indirectly it is at least partly responsible for me leaving GCM as well so in that regard it was a good thing. In short the messages within still mold the way that I interact with others to this day and I am constantly working on finding healthy ways to interact with my wife and other because of it. For someone like me who is an introvert to begin with and socially awkward at best, the insulation from learning to have healthy relationships in my life that this book helped to foster was devastating. It is good to hear that he at least recognizes that there my be problems with the some of the ideas.
ScottChase
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:18:11 am »

A more mainstream article on this came out today
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2016/08/i_kissed_dating_goodbye_author_is_maybe_kind_of_sorry.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:20:14 am by ScottChase » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: