Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 18, 2024, 10:26:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking Wombs  (Read 34636 times)
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 10:39:46 am »

Kirsten,

That’s a fair, reasonable point to make.

I was more saying that “it’s not something you’d ever catch me saying”, but I guess that the issue of his quote is wanting alot of context.
hope

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:20 am »

its about giving people the benefit of the doubt isn’t it…

ironically i think this idea has been mentioned on this website somewhere- but in regards to giving individual bloggers the benefit of the doubt about their posts….
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:33 am »

Hope,

That’s another fair, reasonable point to make. Smiley
snoopy

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 10:40:44 am »

You don’t have enough time to meet with all these women but, here’s your priorities.’

This explains some things. I think I have been de-prioritized a time or two!
snoopy

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

“I assumed it was something she wanted or asked him to do.”

That’s not what he said. He said, “I often have to sit down and- and we get a list of her friends, I say, ‘well.. These are your priorities.”

Leaders need to be able to teach. That means that what they say has to be accurate in doctrine and communicated clearly. If they have good doctrine, but aren’t clear, they shouldn’t be a teacher. (That is not a judgment of them personally, it just means that teaching probably isn’t their gift).
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 10:41:34 am »

And to be honest, I have also heard of this in two other situations. One where a woman gave her husband her schedule every day and had him look it over to see if he thought it was a good use of time. And another where a woman was encouraged by her husband to stop investing in a relationship that wasn’t going anywhere… see “I want to be your friend.” It’s not really about the benefit of the doubt… the rest of the message is loaded with authorian speech. About how in his church he says, “Others may do it (in regards to dating)… we may not (and the church says the last part with him heartily). Truly, listen to the talk you’ll see what I mean. I really have no desire to brand someone an authoritarian for no reason. But when we’ve seen this happen before, and we here it taught. I really don’t see how we can draw another conclusion. And if that isn’t what he means… then don’t say it! In addition, he mentioned that he had taught this message numerous times before so he had plenty of times to practice it and tweak it.
And again as to the benefit of the doubt thing. We DID give them the benefit of the doubt for many years, some of us 20 years! So I do feel that this is a fair assessment based on the evidence. Could we be wrong? Yes, of course. But listen to the message… then you’ll see what were talking about.

Glad to be free.
hope

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2007, 10:41:51 am »

snoopy said:

“Leaders need to be able to teach. That means that what they say has to be accurate in doctrine and communicated clearly.”

yes! and where do GCM pastors learn this skill?!!!

i listened to bill young’s sermon and thought he was definitely gifted as a speaker- but he just needs additional tutoring!
hope

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2007, 10:42:04 am »

bill young’s content was not UN-biblical….but i think

the more appropriate place for his “advice” is over a cup of coffee…not from a stage.
snoopy

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 10:42:14 am »

Personally, I think teaching is a gift.

Just having correct knowledge might not make you a good teacher, but might make you an excellent microbiologist.

Being a gifted speaker doesn’t guarantee you have correct knowledge.

When the two combine, you have the gift of teaching. And, as such, it is a gift. I don’t think you learn it. You can develop it, but either you have it or you don’t.

Kind of like singing, or drawing. If the raw material isn’t there, all the classes in the world won’t help.

I think some of the problem in GCM is that there are some gifted speakers, but they are teaching some things that are “off”.
hope

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 10:42:29 am »

who here among us has been to seminary? sam?

in seminary school do they teach the difference between an appropriate topic for the pulpit and another that’s best over coffee?
anon

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 10:45:42 am »

Is the term WALKING WOMBS used at your gcm? Sad if it is. At our old gcm, one of the sick lines our elders used describing women was:

THE THREE C’S: Cooking Cleaning Conceiving
Genevieve
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 10:45:53 am »

Wow, he three C’s. That is really sick. Was this recently?

No, I just made up the walking wombs term (or maybe someone else did?), but I don’t think ever hear anyone say it seriously.
Genevieve
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 10:46:04 am »

Oops, I meant “the” three C’s. A Freudian slip perhaps? :-)
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 10:46:18 am »

At our old gcm, one of the sick lines our elders used describing women was:

Was this a joke? I just can’t fathom it. Wow.

Glad to be free.
anon

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 10:46:31 am »

The three C’s was still being used right before Christmas 2005. It was thrown around for the four years we were there. It is still probably part of the vocabulary.

It was always said some what kiddingly, but the women never really objected (or didn’t dare to - the elders threw the term around - and no one could object or face the wrath).

I hated it, but never dared speak up - even when we were leaving - that statement was the least of our problems!
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2007, 10:46:43 am »

Whoa. Seriously?

So would it be like, “He he, you know what wives are good for… cooking, cleaning, concieving.” Or what. I about fell off my chair.

I mean I FELT this even though it was unspoken, but to hear it in banter from elders. This is even worse that what Genevieve describes.

I don’t understand why that is acceptable. It would be so unnacceptable to make fun of people with disabilities or a minority, but women? Ahh who cares.

And the thing is, yeah, it’s not like women don’t make fun of men. But they aren’t in power at church and that’s a big difference.

I am still flabbergasted. It’s unthinkable.

Glad to be free.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2007, 10:47:59 am »

At our old gcm, one of the sick lines our elders used describing women was:

What about Crocheting?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: