Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:25:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He must increase, but I must decrease (John 3:30)  (Read 4954 times)
Orange Popsicle
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: July 06, 2018, 11:54:22 am »

I attended The Rock in Minneapolis for many years and left a couple years ago for a variety of issues, including leadership structure problems.

I have been following this issue since it went public, and my heart is grieved.  There are many wonderful people at The Rock and at Evergreen.

I signed on to share something that I think is important but is underreported - all the misconduct allegations predate the beginning of The Rock by a decade or so.  The mediation attempts/things that happened in 2001-2003 were not public knowledge, and other than some vague information about The Rock Berlin, none of this information was known to anyone at The Rock until the allegations went public earlier this year.  This means that virtually the entire Rock congregation has been hit by a bombshell with these issues and are struggling to reconcile the Mark they have known for 20 years who has not demonstrated these behaviors, with the Mark that apparently existed prior to that.  The fact that no public allegations have been brought to light during the entire existence of The Rock lent credibility to Mark being innocent, as frequently abusive behavior escalates over time, and as far as I'm aware, hasn't happened in this case.  This does not mean Mark is innocent.

I believe The Rock and Evergreen have sinned in setting up some pastors as idols. The idea that "you should do what I say and not question me because I'm your pastor" is very poor theology and is ripe for abuse.  This attitude contributes to the current mental incongruity Rockers are struggling with: a revered pastor who has legitimately affected their lives in very positive ways, leading many to Christ, counseling them, teaching them how to parent, etc., who now stands convicted of moral failings unbecoming of a pastor.

Many people are shocked, as Mark has positively impacted a lot of people. The fact that some people are defending Mark and attacking the accusers is understandable, though wounding and heart wrenching from many angles.

Please join me in praying for fresh wind at The Rock and Evergreen. Pray that the pastoral idolatry is broken. Pray that Rockers can embrace the truth about Mark and every other leader - that it's possible for a person who has done much good to also be flawed. Pray that Satan is prevented from causing any more damage, but that God would be allowed to complete the surgery on His Church to remove the sickness. Pray that the isolation of Evergreen/GCM is broken down so good theology can replace errant. Pray for repentance, forgiveness, and healing.

Pray that John 3:30 happens - that pastors and other church leaders would voluntarily diminish themselves so that Christ may increase.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:58:47 am »

Thank you for posting. Your post is helpful and I believe help guide people in how to pray for Evergreen and the Rock.

I hope those who feel blindsided are able to heal.
KnowingGod
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:45:54 pm »

Well said
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »

This means that virtually the entire Rock congregation has been hit by a bombshell with these issues and are struggling to reconcile the Mark they have known for 20 years who has not demonstrated these behaviors, with the Mark that apparently existed prior to that.  The fact that no public allegations have been brought to light during the entire existence of The Rock lent credibility to Mark being innocent, as frequently abusive behavior escalates over time, and as far as I'm aware, hasn't happened in this case.  This does not mean Mark is innocent.

I am going to hazard a guess that had anyone come forward in the last 20 years they were dismissed as the other women were. After Suzanne went public, considering the anger at the Rock it is unlikely any woman attending the Rock would be likely to step forward.

I am not saying that there are other victims, only that there could be victims that have not come forward. And we still do not know the identities of all of the women who did come forward which leaves the possibility that they are recent and from the Rock. We just do not know.
KnowingGod
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 01:18:25 pm »

I could verify that I know at least one woman who said Mark became to involved in sexual conversations with her and the husband. Also any moral sexual sin a husband fell into at the rock was “counseled” by Mark putting blame on the woman. An example would be Mark telling the wife if it wasn’t because of a chronic illness, checkered past, etc.. the husband never would have fallen morally. Small group settings we were apart of often had conversations about personal sex lives that when we looked back were innaporotate.
Orange Popsicle
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:27:16 pm »

This means that virtually the entire Rock congregation has been hit by a bombshell with these issues and are struggling to reconcile the Mark they have known for 20 years who has not demonstrated these behaviors, with the Mark that apparently existed prior to that.  The fact that no public allegations have been brought to light during the entire existence of The Rock lent credibility to Mark being innocent, as frequently abusive behavior escalates over time, and as far as I'm aware, hasn't happened in this case.  This does not mean Mark is innocent.

I am going to hazard a guess that had anyone come forward in the last 20 years they were dismissed as the other women were. After Suzanne went public, considering the anger at the Rock it is unlikely any woman attending the Rock would be likely to step forward.

I am not saying that there are other victims, only that there could be victims that have not come forward. And we still do not know the identities of all of the women who did come forward which leaves the possibility that they are recent and from the Rock. We just do not know.
I don't dispute that that's possible, however I believe my main point stands in that the congregation was completely blindsided by this situation, which explains some of the reactions people are having now.

If there are other victims, either from 30 years ago or more recently, I hope they will eventually become emboldened to find healing.  I agree that now may not be the most welcoming time to go public, but I have heard that a number of pastors in the movement are making positive changes, and may be much more open to hearing this than they were a short time ago.  I pray that this is the case and that anyone who does come forward is treated better than Evergreen/The Rock treated the victims and critics thus far.
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:53:32 pm »

Please join me in praying for fresh wind at The Rock and Evergreen. Pray that the pastoral idolatry is broken. Pray that Rockers can embrace the truth about Mark and every other leader - that it's possible for a person who has done much good to also be flawed. Pray that Satan is prevented from causing any more damage, but that God would be allowed to complete the surgery on His Church to remove the sickness. Pray that the isolation of Evergreen/GCM is broken down so good theology can replace errant. Pray for repentance, forgiveness, and healing.

Pray that John 3:30 happens - that pastors and other church leaders would voluntarily diminish themselves so that Christ may increase.

I will join you in praying this prayer.
marie
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »

I attended The Rock in Minneapolis for many years and left a couple years ago for a variety of issues, including leadership structure problems.

I have been following this issue since it went public, and my heart is grieved.  There are many wonderful people at The Rock and at Evergreen.

I signed on to share something that I think is important but is underreported - all the misconduct allegations predate the beginning of The Rock by a decade or so.  The mediation attempts/things that happened in 2001-2003 were not public knowledge, and other than some vague information about The Rock Berlin, none of this information was known to anyone at The Rock until the allegations went public earlier this year.  This means that virtually the entire Rock congregation has been hit by a bombshell with these issues and are struggling to reconcile the Mark they have known for 20 years who has not demonstrated these behaviors, with the Mark that apparently existed prior to that.  The fact that no public allegations have been brought to light during the entire existence of The Rock lent credibility to Mark being innocent, as frequently abusive behavior escalates over time, and as far as I'm aware, hasn't happened in this case.  This does not mean Mark is innocent.

I believe The Rock and Evergreen have sinned in setting up some pastors as idols. The idea that "you should do what I say and not question me because I'm your pastor" is very poor theology and is ripe for abuse.  This attitude contributes to the current mental incongruity Rockers are struggling with: a revered pastor who has legitimately affected their lives in very positive ways, leading many to Christ, counseling them, teaching them how to parent, etc., who now stands convicted of moral failings unbecoming of a pastor.

Many people are shocked, as Mark has positively impacted a lot of people. The fact that some people are defending Mark and attacking the accusers is understandable, though wounding and heart wrenching from many angles.

That is so well written.  God is tearing down the idols.  Praying for " Fresh Wind."  I will continue to pray for repentance, forgiveness, and healing for all who need it.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:31:37 am »

I could verify that I know at least one woman who said Mark became to involved in sexual conversations with her and the husband. Also any moral sexual sin a husband fell into at the rock was “counseled” by Mark putting blame on the woman. An example would be Mark telling the wife if it wasn’t because of a chronic illness, checkered past, etc.. the husband never would have fallen morally. Small group settings we were apart of often had conversations about personal sex lives that when we looked back were innaporotate.

Thank you for the update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: