Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:51:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter From Mark Darling  (Read 10454 times)
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: July 27, 2018, 08:36:52 am »

https://pastormarkdarling.com/letter/

Here is the link to Mark Darling's letter of resignation and the announcement of his new mentoring ministry called Strong Disciple.

No mention of the elephant in the room.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:11:03 pm by Linda » Logged

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:47:52 am »

So what has transpired with his Sin coming to light is simply, in Mark's words, God calling him to a new ministry? Really?

Mark Darling needs psychological help.

nar·cis·sism
ˈnärsəˌsizəm/Submit
noun
excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
synonyms:   vanity, self-love, self-admiration, self-absorption, self-obsession, conceit, self-centeredness, self-regard, egotism, egoism
"his emotional development was hindered by his mother's narcissism"
PSYCHOLOGY
extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
PSYCHOANALYSIS
self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 11:40:13 am »

Wow, he didn't deny any wrong doing. 

I don't know if it's better or worse that he's focusing on ministering to men.  On one hand, he shouldn't have access to personal time with young women.  On the other hand, he can replicate his own attitudes that obviously devalue women.

So, my former abusive pastor (non-GCC related) left after being found guilty and was going to continue in pastoral counseling independent of a congregation. It didn't last.  I'm sure Darling has enough of a fan base to raise some support but I wonder how long it will last.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:11:38 pm »

Wow, he didn't deny any wrong doing. 

I don't know if it's better or worse that he's focusing on ministering to men.  On one hand, he shouldn't have access to personal time with young women.  On the other hand, he can replicate his own attitudes that obviously devalue women.

So, my former abusive pastor (non-GCC related) left after being found guilty and was going to continue in pastoral counseling independent of a congregation. It didn't last.  I'm sure Darling has enough of a fan base to raise some support but I wonder how long it will last.

His ability to generate funds relies on his being able to get up on stage to mesmerize people. He does not actually have any counseling credentials. Does that make his future plans illegal? Or can anyone just set up to counsel others without a degree, license, etc.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:25:32 pm »

As long as he describes himself as a "mentor," "life coach," "spiritual counseler," "discipler," or anything that doesn't falsely imply that he's a licensed and credentialed professional, he's probably okay from a legal standpoint.

But that letter he wrote, wow. He makes it sound like all of this is just something that happened to him out of the blue, like a flood or a house fire, and not something he brought about by his own actions. Not a single word about the victims; it's as though the victims never even existed.
Phoenix
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:11:44 am »

As long as he describes himself as a "mentor," "life coach," "spiritual counseler," "discipler," or anything that doesn't falsely imply that he's a licensed and credentialed professional, he's probably okay from a legal standpoint.

But that letter he wrote, wow. He makes it sound like all of this is just something that happened to him out of the blue, like a flood or a house fire, and not something he brought about by his own actions. Not a single word about the victims; it's as though the victims never even existed.
Exactly.  Sickening.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 04:00:40 pm »

I have watched several documentaries in the last couple days on cults. More extreme cults. The leaders of these cults began as pastor's that lost their calling when serious sin was uncovered. They all focused on new ministries and created even more strict and rigid cultures than they had created before.
Child_of_Arkham
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 08:39:20 am »

So what has transpired with his Sin coming to light is simply, in Mark's words, God calling him to a new ministry? Really?

Mark Darling needs psychological help.

nar·cis·sism
ˈnärsəˌsizəm/Submit
noun
excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
synonyms:   vanity, self-love, self-admiration, self-absorption, self-obsession, conceit, self-centeredness, self-regard, egotism, egoism
"his emotional development was hindered by his mother's narcissism"
PSYCHOLOGY
extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
PSYCHOANALYSIS
self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

From my experience, narcissists are usually not the ones to seek help. They usually cannot feel empathy or introspect. They are usually afraid of shame, as they are stunted at early childhood where shame is still viewed as an attack on oneself. I know this is not a Christian thing to say, but I seriously wish at times that we were living in the video game Far Cry 5. The bad guys in that game are a Christian cult and the game itself has first person shooting mechanics. (You can put two and two together and figure out what I think should be done with people like #MarkDarkling.)
Boggs
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 08:06:11 am »

Child_of_Arkham you are welcome here, your threats of violence are not. Please consider why you think advocating physical harm against another human is justified, or humorous, or appropriate.
Linda

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 08:21:41 am »

Boggs. I agree. Thanks for posting.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:33 am »

I understand the intense anger toward false teachers who've had profound, lasting negative impacts on your life. I do. But let's remember, and be encouraged, that God will deal with them in a much better, juster, fuller way than we ever could.  Our calling is to expose them as the false teachers they are; God will take care of the rest in His own timing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 10:36:32 am by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 07:10:48 pm »

I also agree with Boggs and Huldah.

David in the Psalms had some pretty angry sentiments he poured out to God toward those he considered his enemies.  Of course it was a very different culture of war and battling and such, so I don’t completely understand the context of his violent complaints to God.  But it is always safe and proper to vent our deepest emotions to God including anger.  He understands the motives behind men’s hearts.  He can correct our thinking as we open up to him; or he may comfort us in ways we couldn’t imagine.  

We have no idea, Child of Arkham, how you were treated by various GCx leaders or what was said to you in private.  There have been very unkind and audacious things said to and about others by GCx leaders.  I know some conversations would make our hair stand on end, and may produce ill feelings in most any human.  But, the Holy Spirit can minister to us and even whisper to our hearts.  God knows every word ever spoken and his Word says all that is hidden will be exposed (either in this life or the next).  To God there are no such things as “idle/careless” words which GCx often claims as it’s excuse for VERY inappropriate “teaching” and “counsel”.  

Pour out your heart to Him for God is a refuge for us.”
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:39:03 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: