Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:52:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll of those who left GCM because of Mark Darling  (Read 3664 times)
ReaperofGCM
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: January 05, 2019, 02:07:24 pm »

There are a ton of topics on this forum and often times they can all weave together.  That being said, I am genuinely interested to see how many people
left the GCM movement because of their experiences with Mark Darling. I have seen some issues with other pastors in the movement but a lot of the issues
people seem to be experiencing overall tend to originate with the Evergreen churches in Minneapolis and then more directly with Mark Darling.

So feel free to respond to this thread with a brief explanation. It would be nice to have all of this information documented in one topic. It just seems that Mark Darling is a common
thread for people who leave the church, and you know the saying, where there's smoke there's fire....
EscapeFromSummitview
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 04:10:39 pm »

Not me. I remember how all of the people I knew seemed to idolize him, and told stories about him that amplified his legend. Even though he was many states away. He "invented" the annual Faithwalkers conference and The Rock youth service, apparently. He visited once and I saw him speak. Leather jacket, buzz cut, and a story about how he loved Mini Coopers and would get one if he didn't think giving that money to the church each month was more important.
Lost Creature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 12:35:34 pm »

I almost did.
Heidi
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 11:53:06 am »

I almost did.

I did- Heidi A
blonde
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »

I left that Sunday after hearing Mark Darling give a sermon at the 109th Street site, on a Sunday morning. His yelling, badgering of others from other churches convinced me to leave. I told a guy I did not get one ounce of encourgement out of the yelled-sermon that same day. It sickens me to even think of it now.

-Blonde
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:24:30 pm by blonde » Logged

We must become the change we want to see.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Cult Proof
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:39:18 am »

I like this question a lot. I too am curious why people have left.  I left a couple of years before Mark Darling was exposed but what has been said about him rings true for me in my experience of knowing him.  I left because it became clear to me that I was stuck in a narcissistic cycle of abuse with my pastor (not Mark D but another pastor from that region).  My counselor identified that I was being abused and specifically by a narcissist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: