Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:12:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharing Jesus with the Cults 2018 book--including Great Commission  (Read 5463 times)
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: March 08, 2018, 10:05:34 pm »

A new book has been released that lists Great Commission as a cult.  You can see it in Section 2 of the Table of Contents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B5ZQQJZ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=peopleofthefr-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07B5ZQQJZ&linkId=fc7e739732341dda91722755ccc10e73
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:20:40 pm »

Wow, thanks for the tip.  I just bought it on kindle.  I never would have found it without your tip. 

Glad to be free.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:34 pm »

Just an FYI, I think a lot of it is apologetics and evangelism.  And for the groups that use the bible or claim to be Christian (i.e. Jehovah's Witness, Mormon), highlighting how their beliefs are far from orthodoxy.  So a little different flavor than other cult/spiritual abuse books.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:44:55 pm »

That’s okay.  I wanted to see what they said about GCx. 

Glad to be free.
xray342
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:15 am »

I've skimmed it. It's a good book to ground someone with cult apologetics in general and it does include some more recent groups (Twelve Tribes and New Apostolic Reformation), but in my opinion it's lacking with information surrounding Great Commission (and the group I was a part of, the International Churches of Christ).

The author lists abuses by both former and current members that are tell-tale signs of spiritual abuse (behavior control, information control, thought control, and emotional control). However, there's little to no theological, doctrinal, or scriptural specifics on what GCM teaches. My best rebuttal would start with the book's section of the doctrine of the Trinity and examination of the Person and role of the Holy Spirit and how it clashes with the shepherding system imposed on GCM.

This book was published in 2017 and there's no mention of "Reliant" being one of GCM's aliases.  Huh
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »

xray342  Thanks for sharing your review.  I'd love to pick your brain on your theology comment as that grabbed my attention.  The listed beliefs of GCC seem pretty orthodox for evangelical Christianity, and that is what most people use to evaluate the doctrinal stance of a church system.

Although as I write I don't know if I have any specific questions other than to ask if you can say more?  I wonder if the author might be open to putting it on his website if you have anything to add.

I know many have written on this forum about the Holy Spirit and how GCC disregards the priesthood of all believers.  I am not sure if I've seen it all in one place though.  If anyone recalls old posts about that I'd be interested in collecting them.  And perhaps some of you have, I know Linda and Janet have written a lot but I am newer and there is so much here Smiley  I just don't to insult anyone by suggesting it hasn't been done.

I would love to see the BITE Model portrayed in a theological light. 

Okay, this post doesn't say much of anything quite yet but you helped me make a specific connection in my brain that is not fully developed yet.  So thanks for that. I'll let you know if any more dots get connected, lol!
xray342
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:51:15 am »

I'm not that familiar with any strict doctrinal analysis of GCx. However, I can bring along what I've learned from other shepherding/discipling systems (namely the ICOC/ICC) and apply it to GCx.

When it comes to shepherding/discipling, the Bible teaches:
  • Every individual Christian is indwelled by, infilled by, empowered by, guided by, convicted of sin and righteousness by, comforted by, counseled by God the Holy Spirit. The individual Christian is called to personally walk in step with the Spirit.
  • Every individual Christian walking in step with the Spirit is intended to walk with other Christians (who themselves are in step with the Spirit) in a local church for relationships, accountability, growth, and carrying out shepherding/discipling and the one-another passages.

The major problem is when one of these two ideas is out of balance: you either have someone trying to do Christianity all by themselves or - like GCx - you have someone in authority over a Christian who takes over the roles of God the Holy Spirit.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 07:18:07 am »

Thanks, xray342.

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 11:34:29 pm »

I've skimmed it. It's a good book to ground someone with cult apologetics in general and it does include some more recent groups (Twelve Tribes and New Apostolic Reformation), but in my opinion it's lacking with information surrounding Great Commission (and the group I was a part of, the International Churches of Christ).

The author lists abuses by both former and current members that are tell-tale signs of spiritual abuse (behavior control, information control, thought control, and emotional control). However, there's little to no theological, doctrinal, or scriptural specifics on what GCM teaches. My best rebuttal would start with the book's section of the doctrine of the Trinity and examination of the Person and role of the Holy Spirit and how it clashes with the shepherding system imposed on GCM.

This book was published in 2017 and there's no mention of "Reliant" being one of GCM's aliases.  Huh

Abuse does not mean that a group is a cult. I'm not suggesting that abuse is good.... But I've seen a lot of churches that abuse. Especially in South America. Abuse is one aspect of a cult. The logic is like saying that a car has wheels... So, everything that has wheels is a car, like a bike.... The biggest thing about a cult is extra Biblical revelation. And I hate to say it, but most evangelical churches practice that.
Free.to.love.Jesus
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 08:56:00 am »

PietWowo,
Are you saying you think most evangelical churches are cults?
Free.to.love.Jesus
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 08:58:00 am »

We believe GCx is a cult.
The book states it well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: