Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:58:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanking  (Read 357034 times)
Isthisreal?
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:49 pm »

Please tell me we aren't rehashing stuff from 1978 now...? 40 yrs ago?Huh Amazing!!!
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2018, 08:31:31 am »

Yes, it is amazing that the founding pastor could say this and get away with it without being challenged:

"When you discipline, this verse indicates, as others do, that you want to do it so it wounds. Now, when you say 'wounds,' it doesn't mean that you have a bloody mess on your hands necessarily. It doesn't mean that you have a child 'wounding' like he has a broken leg."

McCotter added in his taped sermon that this means you have been severe enough that the child's attitude at that point has been reversed.

"And he may, and often will be, black and blue," McCotter continued. "My children have been many times. And it cleans evil from them.”

Even more amazing that current leadership never corrected such awful teaching, or any other awful McCotter teaching.

Even more amazing that they still speak so highly of him.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »

Please tell me we aren't rehashing stuff from 1978 now...? 40 yrs ago?Huh Amazing!!!

By that logic, no one should be discussing the Reformation or the great awakening. No one should be reading about Hudson Taylor or Corrie ten Boom.
Cult Proof
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2018, 01:50:38 pm »

It’s a false statement to say people are rehashing things from 1970’s.  My kids were born in 2003 and 2005 and we were taught by gcc to abuse our kids. Actually more than that we were pressured to abuse our kids and we were rebuked when we wouldn’t. And no I am not calling spanking abuse. I am saying we were told to hit out kids across their face and to spank them until they bleed and to not stop even when they were teenagers. Thankfully my kids are healing from the trauma of being born into a cult.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2018, 06:55:19 pm »

Cult Proof, that remark about 1978 may have been intended as a dig at those of us who've written about our experiences back in the 70's. We write about those things because many of the same problems we faced in our GC churches back then (back before it was even called GC) are still happening.
Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #185 on: March 04, 2021, 02:42:32 pm »

Just out of curiousity, how does a parent justify abusing their children by blaming it on someone - anyone - teaching them to?  That is just MESSED up!  Stop making excuses and REPENT.
Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »

Jim is answering GCI questions right now live!

https://www.facebook.com/JimMcCotterLIVE
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2021, 08:34:53 am »

The above post of advertisement for McCotter does not represent or support the vast majority of former members of GCx for whom this site was created.

Be wary of false preachers who smile a lot, dripping with practiced sincerity. Chances are they are out to rip you off some way or other. Don’t be impressed with charisma; look for character. Who preachers are is the main thing, not what they say. A genuine leader will never exploit your emotions or your pocketbook. These diseased trees with their bad apples are going to be chopped down and burned.

“Knowing the correct password—saying ‘Master, Master,’ for instance—isn’t going to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience—doing what my Father wills. I can see it now—at the Final Judgment thousands strutting up to me and saying, ‘Master, we preached the Message, we bashed the demons, our God-sponsored projects had everyone talking.’ And do you know what I am going to say? ‘You missed the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves important. You don’t impress me one bit. You’re out of here.’  

Matthew 7:15-23     The Message (MSG)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:22:34 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Mark C
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2021, 03:35:47 pm »

I want to thank G-Prince for explaining some of the impact of the abuse those of us raised in the GCI experienced. I have so much I want to pour out on here, but I don't know if it would be helpful. Still debating. In short I will say many of us suffered so much physical and psychological abuse growing up in this cult. It's devastating frankly. I am on a path now in recovery at 52yo to have as complete a remembrance I can have. I have to fight the "cloud of denial" as I describe it, that so quickly blocks my vision every time I get near this stuff. I'll keep working on it and thinking about what is appropriate to share. I am not afraid of reprisals as I have been for years. I have also come to believe that denial plants the seeds for things to continue in the next generation. So I want the truth to be made known and for it to be clear. I entered the church as a 2yo on the blitz. It's been a long journey so far.
Linda

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2021, 07:31:09 pm »

Mark C,

Welcome.

I am so very sorry.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2021, 07:59:41 pm »

Welcome Mark C. Glad you came to share any amount of your story you feel comfortable telling. I’m sorry you were also abused by this cult-like church and still suffer triggering from it (as many of us do), though yours like G_Prince and other GCx “children” is also physical. ‘Unraveling layers’ are the words that come to mind in trying to recall actual trauma.

I agree with you that G_Prince’s sharing his experience growing up as a child in the GCx shared mindset of parenting is very helpful. Sadly, many of those parents had no idea of the negative impact and trauma they were inflicting on their children; how their child’s image of God may become so skewed by this system of oppressive parenting. If God was like what McCotter taught and practiced, I’d be afraid to approach him, always worried I could never be good enough, and not even sure if I really made the cut. That God was impossible for me to please which was extremely discouraging.

One thing that has helped me work through some of the oppressive mess we were in at GCx has been journal writing. Sometimes it may be hard to verbalize out loud, but I could write the deeper things on paper in a journal. I could kind of converse openly with God on paper about my fears, feelings, worries, hopes and dreams. Sometimes I would hear his still small voice of compassion in my spirit and write what I thought he was saying to me.

I can say from experience it is never too late to seek and receive healing. Glad you are on a path in that direction. You are so right about likely repeating history if we don’t examine and learn from it.

By the way, most post anonymously on here so they can be more free to share their story.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:46:33 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Mark C
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2021, 11:58:03 am »

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I wonder about the anonymous posting. Interested to hear peoples perspective on it. To me it feels like another barrier to the truth coming out but I totally respect each person’s own process which is a delicate thing for certain. I say this recognizing that my post yesterday was totally an edited version and I wrote a couple of pages that I cut and stored in a word doc for further consideration before posting. Maybe someone can share more of their thoughts on it.
Linda

« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2021, 04:21:55 pm »

I post by name. I know others who remain anonymous in order to tell their story, and protect others. I’m especially thinking of people who want to honor their father and mother yet need to speak the truth.

Also, I have personally been intimidated by anonymous defenders of GCC. One person even said they knew where I lived. It was disturbing.

That said, people get to choose how they post without judgment from me. I’m glad you are here. I’m sorry for your pain.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2022, 07:59:04 pm »

I was told to spank my kid with severe mental disabilities when he touched things he shouldn't have and that "sometimes spanking a kid 100 times a day was what it took".  Thankfully I thought this was bullcaca, but I stayed a full 5 years after a [GCx] pastor's wife told me that.  You know, I could have used some basic advice like hold your kids, love your kids, read to your kids, sing to your kids.  All I heard was train your kid, serve your family, serve with your kid, teach them to obey, spank them thoroughly.  I would like to have those years back.  If you think life is all about submission, sacrifice, and obedience, you are a sick person and need help.  I mean that sincerly not insultingly. ...
-Agatha L’Orange

... spanking seems to apply for everything.  If a child doesn't eat their dinner, they get spanked.  If they don't clean their room, they get spanked.  Why not let them go hungry or make them eat their dinner cold?  Why not take their things away if they didn't clean?
-Immortal_Raven

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:14:34 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2022, 12:03:37 am »

By that logic, no one should be discussing the Reformation or the great awakening. No one should be reading about Hudson Taylor or Corrie ten Boom.

Yes, those are great stories... But the Reformation had some big problems... And so do all of them. But generally these are good things....

But talking about spanking in the seventies... in a church movement which was relatively very small and really hasn't grown much.... That reakes more of bitterness.... And yes, that's where you can really use the story of Corrie ten Boom. Who had to forgive some horrible nazis....who had killed a big part of her family.... I was in GC whatever in the seventies.... None of them were ever like concentration camps...

So, the big thing to do is to learn from it. Realize that the vast majority of people have just moved on... If it still troubles you after all that time... You might need someone to help you... Because that wouldn't be healthy... I've been in many types of groups, where I was wronged, but I can't just harbor that forever... I need to deal with it and move on. What else would one do...  Maybe as Vince says, if it such a big deal, maybe it might be good to talk with Jim McCotter himself about it. He's not going to eat you... But if it bothers you that much.... In a sense, you're giving the memory of him power to destroy his life.

I know a man, who's parents were missionaries. In that particular mission organization, the children of the missionaries were not allowed to keep their children, but the children had to be in a special mission school. Well, the children got horrible abuse from the mission school's leadership. Every type you can imagine. Many of these children ended up becoming atheists. The children were told not to tell their parents, because that would cause others to go to hell.

Then finally when he was 18 years old, he decided to forgive his abusers... He said: "I don't want them to have any power over me... I'm going to forgive them and move on..." He led an organization that ministered to millions of children in 25 countries... The organization is called Compassion International. Maybe you have heard of it.

Unless there is something tangible that you can do about it... move on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: