Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:25:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why The ECC Investigation is Worse than Willow Creek’s Very Bad Investigation  (Read 28853 times)
Boggs
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:52 pm »

And so begins. For anyone to throw blanket statements like this over ALL of God’s Churches is a sad slippery slope. But, this is predicted in the Bible. Good will be called bad, and bad will be called evil. To all reading. This is this form. A handful of bitterness that most would not sit face to face with anyone, and say the same as they do here. Just propaganda from a hiding spot with a key board. There are mistakes made in every Church, and a very few who abuse the pulpit. Those that do are found out and removed quite rapidly in most cases. But those that hide behind computer screens with fake names do more damage by far. This form is not rare, and not even close to the largest attended.

Hey Greentruth, I didn't expect anyone to disagree with my suggestion that all churches develop policies to protect their communities from abuse. That doesn't seem controversial to me, I guess, but just good common sense.

Maybe you could clarify what your point is? I'm having a hard time understanding your response.
Greentruth

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 07:06:08 am »

I think most Churches have an accountability system in place, especially the Church that follows the Bible. In your post it could allude to a general accountability from who? If a Church isn’t taking its own steps to remain in Biblical standards, move on. Who’s standard do you advocate?
Boggs
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 08:06:56 am »

Well Greentruth, you're saying "biblical standards" and I'd love to hear some scripture that applies in this situation. Can you give me some practical examples relating scripture to a church policy of reporting and investigating abuse?

I think you might be feeling I'm attacking your pastors and I'm not. I'm thinking in general terms, not about your church specifically, but about all churches. In churches, like any group (family/business/school/club), abuse happens. I'm suggesting that churches should be proactive and implement some solid policies to protect everyone.

This thread was started with a discussion of the deficiencies of Willow Creek's policies. Here are some policy improvements I've brainstormed just this morning - feel free to add.
- establish a small team of staff and/or outside counselors designated to hear allegations of abuse and serve victims
- empower that team with a process - if they feel that allegations are credible, what next? Paid leave if it is a staff member, leave from ministry duties if a volunteer, qualified outside investigation, notifying police, etc
- foster a culture of speaking up if you feel you or someone you know has been abused in or out of the church - to encourage members to utilize the counseling team
- subject everyone in the organization to the same process - no exceptions for founding pastors, lead pastors, prominent members, anyone with power and influence in the organization. This may be the greatest hurdle given our human tendencies to trust leaders.

Rebel in a Good Way shared an interesting article that discusses the barriers to properly dealing with abuse. The entire article is worth reading, and the introduction tells a very sobering story. It might help you to read that and consider what could be done to prevent something like that from happening in your church.

Finally - abuse can happen in any church no matter the people and no matter how godly things seem. We are all broken humans and are capable of remarkably destructive behaviors. Please don't be complacent and think that your church is immune.
Greentruth

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 08:47:13 am »

Thank you for that explanation. I agree to a defined process to deal with accusations and or abuse. I have personally been effected by abuse. I shared it on this form.   I just think that any defined action should be agreed on by the Church leadership. The sad fact of this matter is that with any added scrutiny on leaders that hamstring them as a whole in ALL Churches today, will eliminate much needed counseling, teaching and normal interaction that has been normal in most Churches. Someone misinterpretes a statement or someone disagrees and holds a grudge. I know it’s sad that a small handful can cause so much destruction and pain, as much of this form.  That’s why unity in the Church is important. To be on the same page to call out abuse on both sides of an issue. From what I see ECC has handled their situation as best anyone could. Some have different opinions, and that’s their prerogative. A little patience and less assumptions at every step would help everyone involved. I agree with some of your guidelines, but you have to admit, this case with Suzanne’s accusations against MD, are at best troubling. Way to many inaccurate claims that are not proven, besides the bizarrely played out manner of this on social media and from a seriously negative form such as this.
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:01 am »

If there had been proactive measures in place to deal with claims of abuse, maybe Suzanne would never have gone this way. Or there would at least be valid grounds to ask, "why didn't you go through these channels?" As it stands, I don't see what other method she could have used in this case besides what she had done by going on social media (with the exception of the netgrace thing - that is another issue).
Peace
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 10:56:05 am »

http://gccweb.org/about/history/accountability/

"If an individual believes that his or her church is not complying with Biblical standards, what is that individual to do? Our policy is that a church member should work through the Matthew 18:15-17 process, presenting his or her concerns to a pastor in the church and then, if not satisfied, to the board of that church. If still not satisfied, that individual has the option to contact a regional or national office of Great Commission Churches.  Also, at any time in the process, a person has the option of contacting our office directly about any concerns related to a church in our association.  Our commitment is to address concerns with confidentiality, impartiality and sensitivity, with the goal of restoration and reconciliation."

I fully understand Suzanne isn't a member and her accusations are of abuse, not something of lesser severity. But logically, I feel these steps could have been helpful instead of using Twitter as Step One?

- Step One: Contact a pastor at ECC
- Step Two: Contact the board directly
- Step Three: Contact GCC Regionally
- Step Four: Contact GCC Nationally

Please don't take this as me questioning the victim or not taking her claims seriously. I do take her claims very seriously. I also understand the dangers of using Matthew 18 as the process to follow, but even at my place of employment (secular), they encourage harassment, misconduct, etc claims to be made immediately to your manager, director, HR, VP, Board, etc... all "in-house." This process of reporting is just not that uncommon. Now for reporting abuse and eminent dangers, my employer would say "call the authorities" which is what I believe my local church would do as well... but Suzanne's case is a bit more complicated due to the time lapse. Again, I am not judging or dismissing her claims, I am just trying to point out there is a system.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:50:53 am by Peace » Logged
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 10:58:54 am »

Question.

Who is the church in Matthew 18?

The congregation or the GCC regional/national board?

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 11:21:01 am »

Also, Scout's story said she took those steps 17 years ago.  

In a case of abuse, this is asking the victim to go to equals/colleagues/friends/co-workers of the abuser.  Do you think this is an appropriate process for someone alleging abuse?  By abuse I mean one event that is particularly egregious, or a pattern of events that consistently over time cause harm to someone.  I am not talking about "misunderstanding a statement" as Greentruth said, or someone holding a grudge.  Let's say there is legitimate wrong-doing, do you really think we should ask victims to utilize GCC's process?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:30:48 am by Rebel in a Good Way » Logged
Peace
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 11:23:53 am »

The congregation.

My local church has congregational review so I believe if this happened locally (praying it never does), we are set-up with a better structure for someone to bring a case such as this before "the church" as outlined in Matthew 18.

I don't have the answers to this complex and awful situation. I apologize if I posted too much or unintentionally offended anyone, including you, Linda. I do not mean you any harm. We may disagree about quite a few things, but I believe we have much more in common.

This article was good for my soul, maybe it'll be a good read for someone else too: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/when-reconciliation-doesnt-reconcile/
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 11:29:00 am »

Peace: Exactly where in your four step process outlined above is the congregation involved?
Peace
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 11:40:45 am »

I would hope the Matthew 18 process would take place before the other steps as outlined on the GCC website:
- Talk to the person individually.
- Bring 1-2 others along for a group meeting.
- The church should have come in at this point, but I don't know if she attempted to tell the church at this point 17 years ago or not.

And then the four step process would be appropriate to follow.
- Step One: Contact a pastor at ECC
- Step Two: Contact the board directly
- Step Three: Contact GCC Regionally
- Step Four: Contact GCC Nationally

Peace
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 11:43:30 am »

Also, Scout's story said she took those steps 17 years ago.  

In a case of abuse, this is asking the victim to go to equals/colleagues/friends/co-workers of the abuser.  Do you think this is an appropriate process for someone alleging abuse?  By abuse I mean one event that is particularly egregious, or a pattern of events that consistently over time cause harm to someone.  I am not talking about "misunderstanding a statement" as Greentruth said, or someone holding a grudge.  Let's say there is legitimate wrong-doing, do you really think we should ask victims to utilize GCC's process?

I wasn't making a recommendation for what she should have done. I was simply stating that there is a process she could have used. Personally, I believe this route could have been more efficient and effective. Again, it is not my place to assess the ways an alleged victim chose to air their accusations, but there are indeed other channels which could have been used. Social media was not her only choice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:28:41 pm by Peace » Logged
Greentruth

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 12:09:20 pm »

If there had been proactive measures in place to deal with claims of abuse, maybe Suzanne would never have gone this way. Or there would at least be valid grounds to ask, "why didn't you go through these channels?" As it stands, I don't see what other method she could have used in this case besides what she had done by going on social media (with the exception of the netgrace thing - that is another issue).

Who would ever have the foresight to see what Suzanne accused MD and the Church. Even prescribed channels you suggest would not have protected the Church in the never ending story from two decades ago.  Couple that with a handful of people who spend extravagant amounts of time on social media and this form, inventing new disparaging angles daily.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »

Churches Who "Handled" Abuse Investigations internally have been cited as using bias to control the results. The consequences of such actions are distrust and loss of respect for the leadership by many.  Instead of hiding or minimizing the sin there as they intended, they have actually spotlighted the sin there by their lack of integrity.

Although posted previously, felt it was worth repeating as in internal "investigation" is still this GCx church's sad route.

Here is an article from Christianity Today citing SGM and other Christian organizations who have practiced bias themselves in handling sexual assault/abuse cases:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2018/february-web-only/should-churches-handle-sexual-abuse-investigations-internal.html

Excerpt:
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for churches and religious organizations to try to handle sexual assault allegations internally. Bob Jones University, Sovereign Grace Ministries, the Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, and the Institute in Basic Life Principles have all come under fire in recent years for not adequately addressing sexual abuse within their communities. Some of these organizations have been accused of blaming the victims—even those who were children at the time of abuse—and pressuring them to forgive their abusers rather than report them.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:12:15 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 04:07:54 pm »

Janet, that is a good article. 

ECC has said they are using an outside investigator, but because they are controlling the choice of investigator, the process, final report, and the sharing of the results, the entire investigation is not independent but internal. 

ECC people seemed fine to have their BOT control things but very unhappy now that Fox 9 is involved and they can't control the narrative.   I'm wondering what will happen if Joan Harris and Fox 9 come to similar conclusions? 
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 04:21:01 pm »

ECC people seemed fine to have their BOT control things but very unhappy now that Fox 9 is involved and they can't control the narrative.   I'm wondering what will happen if Joan Harris and Fox 9 come to similar conclusions? 

What conclusion do you suppose Fox 9 will come up with, they aren't even talking to the other side? It's interesting how several on here decried the investigation by Joan Harris as illegitimate in part because Suzanne wouldn't be interviewed, but are just fine with this approach by Fox 9.
Linda

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:49 pm »

The way I see it, Suzanne chose not to participate in ECCs investigation. Her choice. Therefore, Joan’s findings will not include Suzanne’s testimony.

ECC chose not to participate in the Fox 9 investigation (according to what I’m reading) so Fox 9’s findings will not include any testimony from ECC. ECCs choice.

I see it as each side choosing which investigation they want to participate in. ECC will have the added advantage of knowing the results of the Fox 9 investigation. Suzanne and the other victims will have no idea what ECC’s investigator found.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:06:16 pm by Linda » Logged

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: