Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
February 21, 2019, 04:25:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was a Questioning Member Banned?  (Read 652 times)
Lost Creature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: December 01, 2018, 07:43:09 pm »

I am a questioning GCX member who was banned from this forum at the beginning of this month after only a week on this forum.

For what? I don't know...but I find it very disheartening and even judgemental that someone considering leaving the GCX movement would be banned.

All I wanted was the truth...All I wanted to do was to save my church family from itself...
Was that too idealistic for you?
Did I ask too many questions?
Did I make you uncomfortable when I didn't drink the juice that everyone else drank?

Angry I am very angry...not just at the spiritual ignorance of the past within the GCX movement, of which I am currently still a member...
...but also at the manipulation that I see at work here in these very forums...the very manipulation that GCX is accused of...

...How dare you take advantage of already spiritually and emotionally vulnerable people!
Instead of offering them objective truth, you try to convince them that it is God's will that they leave the movement instead of letting the Holy Spirit lead them to healing...

One thing is certain...I may not belong within the GCX Movement...but at least after 20 years, they did not throw me out in the cold for my constant questions.
One thing is certain...I don't belong here...and if you are hurting and seeking the truth of what happened in this movement, then maybe you don't belong here either...
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:05 pm »

Oh, Lost Creature, I am so sorry.  It is possible I may have caused a misunderstanding between the administrator and myself.  What exactly happened that you thought you were ďbannedĒ on here.

You have a right to your perspective on here.  I donít think anyone on here thinks you donít. 

I will research this to find out what happened, and what I may have inadvertently caused.

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Cult Proof
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:01:45 am »

Lost Creature

I am sorry for your pain and confusion. I have experienced an extremely painful isolation from a few ex gcx members. Itís a difficult road to walk for sure.  I am sorry. And I believe Janetís apology, people make mistakes, and the internet is far from perfect. 
Lost Creature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 12:58:33 pm »

Oh, Lost Creature, I am so sorry.  It is possible I may have caused a misunderstanding between the administrator and myself.  What exactly happened that you thought you were ďbannedĒ on here.

You have a right to your perspective on here.  I donít think anyone on here thinks you donít.  

I will research this to find out what happened, and what I may have inadvertently caused.

I appreciate you getting back with me about this.

On Nov 11, I found that I couldn't make anymore posts.
There was a message in red ink that said I couldn't post (i don't remember if it specifically said that I was banned).
This came after a series of questions I asked on the 9th and 10th.
I assumed that there was a correlation between my questions and my seeming to be banned...

If this was all just a misunderstanding (and only if), I will apologize for the accusation of being banned.

If anything,
I think I was just more angry at myself for expecting to find objective truth here on this forum.

And there lies the problem...

The problem is that as one who is caught in between the two sides of this debate,
my desire is for objectivity instead of emotional appeals.

Whether you intended it or not, I have felt emotionally manipulated by you and others on this forum.
I was in a vulnerable state, which is very easy to fall for emotional and spiritual manipulation.
I only started to wake up when I started remembering times where these hard questions were answered by those within the movement...where they answered tough questions...where they confessed their sins and their mess ups...when they became vulnerable with me...

Yes, I still believe that the GCX Movement is retreading on a path that it used to take...
...and I believe that many of it's now leaders are unaware of what really happened...and I believe that it is wrong....

But I also believe that there is hope for this movement still...Hope for them to follow Christ, even if it means slowly letting go of the things that used to make the movement...

...and you and others on the forums tried to take that hope away from me...
...That's when I started to see it...the manipulation...the bias that I had been so blind to...
...You used my desire for truth against me and I could already see you and others using it against others who are questioning like me when you tell them that it is God's will for them to leave, instead of telling them that it was God's will for you and others to leave...

That is why I am angry and frustrated...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:00:27 pm by Lost Creature » Logged
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 10:22:37 am »

Lost Creature. I am on my phone so will keep this short. It appears you are at a "stage" I went through of being hyper sensitive to manipulation. I experienced the same hyper sensitivity near the beginning of my journey out of Evergreen. I believe it is part of the healing process.

I have found it helpful to watch Darren Browns full videos during which he showed how he manipulates people. He explains the science of it. Google "Darren Brown Mentalist". Also helpful are you tube videos on "group hypnosis in the church."

Meanwhile when you feel triggered try taking a few deep long breaths and own your experience. I hope this helps.
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 07:26:25 pm »

I am a questioning GCX member who was banned from this forum at the beginning of this month after only a week on this forum.

For what? I don't know...but I find it very disheartening and even judgemental that someone considering leaving the GCX movement would be banned.

All I wanted was the truth...All I wanted to do was to save my church family from itself...
Was that too idealistic for you?
Did I ask too many questions?
Did I make you uncomfortable when I didn't drink the juice that everyone else drank?

Angry I am very angry...not just at the spiritual ignorance of the past within the GCX movement, of which I am currently still a member...
...but also at the manipulation that I see at work here in these very forums...the very manipulation that GCX is accused of...

...How dare you take advantage of already spiritually and emotionally vulnerable people!
Instead of offering them objective truth, you try to convince them that it is God's will that they leave the movement instead of letting the Holy Spirit lead them to healing...

One thing is certain...I may not belong within the GCX Movement...but at least after 20 years, they did not throw me out in the cold for my constant questions.
One thing is certain...I don't belong here...and if you are hurting and seeking the truth of what happened in this movement, then maybe you don't belong here either...

I have run several forums myself. I've always in private send a message to the person that was going to be banned. (Unless it was some sort of spam, or something)  I would suggest that in this forum if an administrator feels that someone shouldn't say anything. That they would first in private try to work this out. Especially if the person about to be banned was just asking questions or offering another viewpoint in a respectful way.

It's as you say very ironic. Then there are people that were put under church discipline in a GCx church, but they all went through a process of being addressed personally, then with some elders and then publicly. I.e. Matt. 18. And people complain about that. But when someone doesn't agree with something, they get banned without even an explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: