Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:24:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Friendships...  (Read 7503 times)
bennyj
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: April 03, 2007, 07:46:53 am »

All my close friends I met in a GC church including my husband.  Granted none of them are still involved in GC in any way and neither am I, but we did meet there and had lots of fun--most often playing Ultimate Frisbee for hours every Sunday afternoon!  

Also had an interesting conversation with a single friend this weekend about meeting decent guys and she commented on how hard it is to find guys, now that she's not involved in GC, that aren't interested in only getting her to sleep with them.  I'm assuming, though it wasn't specifically stated, that she hasn't met any single guys at her current church or that this includes the guys she meets there as well.  Thought that was interesting.  :-)

Those are my good memories, despite the yuckiness I witnessed that still makes me cringe when I think about it.
TurnLeft

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:48:45 am »

Hi BennyJ.  Our closest friends, too, are almost all former GCx'ers.  Strong bonds are formed when you live together, serve together, raise children together, etc.  We expect to go into our old age with these people. 
Joel45

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:24:31 am »

Friendship is very sweet relationship which has a silent promise with it self.
A friend is a person with whom you may be sincere before thinking.

BTDT
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:32:51 pm »

Hi, bennyj -- My closest GC friends have remained friends for over 25 years, even though some of us rarely see each other.  We'll probably always be friends.  Somehow, we managed to transcend that "fallen eagle" nonsense (about people who left GC), although it was all around us.

That was brought home to me once again, just recently.  One of my old housemates passed away unexpectedly, and many from our old GC circle of friends travelled several hundred miles to attend his funeral.  (Sadly, I could not attend due to illness.) It was a fitting testament to the power of the love of Christ.

(Vaya con Dios, Glenbo.)

-Ed-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: