Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:14:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Place to Start the Journey.  (Read 2877 times)
Lost Creature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: December 12, 2018, 05:56:40 am »

While I am still trying to evaluate my time with GCX, one thing that stands out to me is this:

The strong point of this movement is two-fold:
1. Finding and leading to Christ those who are ready and searching for him.
2. Welcoming "baby" Christians who are just starting their journey with God.

On the flip-side, I am starting to notice that the movement is so good at this that in a lot of cases,
I have noticed that Christians who are maturing seem to struggle a lot here.
If you are interested in exploring your faith beyond the vision of the movement, it's often hard to find that motivation there.
I've often had to look on my own for ways to mature in my faith, which have usually been through outside sources.
Heck, the one mentor I have within the church is someone who was not raised in our church movement and is the one that challenges us the most.

While I am still questioning this part of my journey, I know that God has used this movement in the lives of many who needed him.
I pray that within the movement, those who are maturing in their faith (or desiring to mature beyond baby Christiandom) will find the courage to do so.
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:55:41 am »

It's interesting that you come to those observations on your own.  People who study spiritual formation have found a pattern that evangelical churches in general are really good for the beginning of the faith journey, but often do not provide tools for people as they mature.  Mainline churches seem to fit the needs of "mature" Christians better but don't do as well in the earlier stages of spiritual development.  This is a situation regular attenders cannot do much about, other than to attend church where we feel called and not believe that we must commit to a local church for life as GCC asks.

Hopefully church leaders will start trying to pay attention to these trends.  While being driven to serve, serve, serve in the college and young adult ministry, and hearing "seeker-friendly" sermons that seemed to be on a 1-year-rotation, a group of us asked my former GCC pastor for more meat.  We said we weren't being fed and wanted something that would meet us where we were at other than just instructions on the sinner's prayer every week (this is not to say the gospel shouldn't be preached every week but there are many ways to preach it).  These were a group of Christians in their early 20's.  Can you imagine the outcome had the pastor responded well to the needs we expressed after having self-awareness of our own spiritual formation?  I mean, what leader wouldn't want people saying "we're hungry for more!"  Let's say our needs were not met.  I don't think "spiritual formation" was much of a thing back then, but a church with a true mission to serve rather than just fulfill its own agenda should respond better to expressed needs of those in their care.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 12:37:04 pm »

Yes, the gospel was preached to me through several members (not leaders) from GCx churches during a campus “blitz” at the University of Maryland back in 1980.  I did come to understand the all encompassing forgiveness of my sins through Christ’s punishment on the cross for me, and by receiving him into my heart and life through these believers.  The Holy Spirit prompted me to “Let Him in” then.  So, I agree they do seem to preach the gospel by “sharing the gospel” with others.  

However, it was the PRACTICE of “the Gospel” that GCx taught and followed that significantly hurt my relationship with God, family, friends, co-workers and believers outside GCx.  

I heard Dr. David Jeremiah preach this very thing years ago.  He said False Teachers can be those who Preach the right gospel, but PRACTICE the wrong one.  It was a sermon he did at least seven years ago so it is difficult to find, but here’s my post the day it aired; under The Healing Forum, Page 4, “COME TO FREEDOM!”

http://forum.gcmwarning.com/the-healing-forum/come-to-freedom!/msg10613/#msg10613

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:42:45 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:57:45 pm »

While I am still trying to evaluate my time with GCX, one thing that stands out to me is this:

The strong point of this movement is two-fold:
1. Finding and leading to Christ those who are ready and searching for him.
2. Welcoming "baby" Christians who are just starting their journey with God.

On the flip-side, I am starting to notice that the movement is so good at this that in a lot of cases,
I have noticed that Christians who are maturing seem to struggle a lot here.
If you are interested in exploring your faith beyond the vision of the movement, it's often hard to find that motivation there.
I've often had to look on my own for ways to mature in my faith, which have usually been through outside sources.
Heck, the one mentor I have within the church is someone who was not raised in our church movement and is the one that challenges us the most.

While I am still questioning this part of my journey, I know that God has used this movement in the lives of many who needed him.
I pray that within the movement, those who are maturing in their faith (or desiring to mature beyond baby Christiandom) will find the courage to do so.

I think you're right on... Very good in reaching religious people, or very young believers. I think it's a bit natural. Jesus took His disciples from a place that was very religious. The north of Lake Galilee. Capernaum, Bethasaida, and Korazim. Only one disciple didn't come from Galilea, and that was Judas Iscariot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: