Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:59:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: loss of many  (Read 3512 times)
Daisy
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: April 14, 2007, 09:33:36 pm »

I have years and years (literally) of good memories.  The city I was saved in, the fun and rock climbing.  The summer that followed, I dealt with the death of two of my friends, and my last remaining grandparent passed away.  My small group leader, roomate, and best friend, stood beside me; she wanted to be there when I needed her and supremely understood my need for space in dealing with all of this.  The male leader, I remember helping me too, talking when I needed, and clarifying many GC teachings that confused me so, considering my current situation.  I remember many hikes at turbo speed, feeling like I could leave everything else behind with another guy friend from GC that summer.  We all lived in the mountains, he and I would roll out of bed, hike all morning, then work through the afternoon.  I trusted him with everything, even things I was so sure I would tell no one.  He stayed concerned about a health/psychological aspect of my life far beyond anyone else.  His support helped me conquer a dangerous sin that could have ended my life.

I owe a lot to these men and women.  I realize that their time for major involvement in my life is over with because of my disbelief in GC, and my conflicts with GC.  It changes people and rules relationships, I regret to say...it rules how members (even those closest to you) see you.  This control is very difficult for them to see or believe beyond.  It destroys friendship.

Though I will never be able to regain or recreate the friendships I lost I am so much happier with who I am, how I behave, and how I experience life outside of GC; I can't go back, and after having life uncontrolled by such strict rules and standards.  Life without ritual puts God first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: