Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:09:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did a GCM Facebook purge. I didn't feel guilty. I felt free.  (Read 10360 times)
MisterPenguin42
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:15 pm »

Hey! 

I did the GCM thing a little bit in college and then for a few years after seeking isolation from... GCM. Looking back, I would say they deserved the second chance, but man, that place has major toxicity issues, especially in the leadership. 

Like I said, I disconnected on social media with all the people from that church. And I immediately felt unburdened. I was actually inspired to read God's word. No obligation, no compulsion by authority. I legitimately wanted to seek out God. 

This shouldn't happen. 

Church should not be a chore, a place you go to get your weekly spiritual hazing as you grow and mature as a Christian. No. It should be a weekly inspiration that you can get through the things that are bothering you and that you're part of something bigger. 

The breaking point for me was net neutrality. The church had gone extremely right, almost fascistly right in the last few years, but no one's willing to listen to reason. They seem to blindly welcome unfettered corporate authority. It got bad. They worship this administration in lieu of Jesus. Sad. 

Anyway, I'm here to field questions and support others. I've had years to process this and I find myself emotionally and Biblically justified. 

Cheers!
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:09:01 pm »

Welcome MisterPenguin42!

Thank you for testifying here about this organization and how they are so unwilling to listen to anything but their own twisted traditions (rooted in their spiritually abusive founder, Jim McCotter) though they claim they are not. I agree that they are blind to the idolatry of worshipping their own church rather than Jesus.  They are deaf to the unbiblical control they hold over their people.  

Unconnecting from unhealthy soul ties is what many of us had to do to get healthy.  So glad to hear of your courageous move and the sweet results you had in making it.  So cool to hear what grace brings forth in us as compared to the law which kills the desire to connect with God.

That exhilarating feeling of being free when leaving GCx is so telling in how weighed down and unnecessarily burdened we were there.  I like what you say about what church should be.

Yes, sir!  We are not only justified to make our break, but pleadingly urged by God (in his word) to remove ourselves from these spiritually abusive environments.  

Believe your speaking up here will inspire others to make healthy choices, too.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:14:14 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Wolfgangg
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:51:03 am »

Finally come to the site for so long that it is put to use in life.

Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:21:15 am »

"The breaking point for me was net neutrality."

Well at least you're focusing on the spiritual things that really matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: