Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:37:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GCx's Fourth Cousin Five Times Removed: ICOC/ICC  (Read 3284 times)
xray342
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: July 29, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »

Hello everyone! I was never a member of GCx, but was a member of the International Churches of Christ (ICOC) from 1998-2006. The stories of shepherding/discipling abuses I've read in GCx and the evolution of its theology and systems of control are virtually identical to the ICOC.

I've recently encountered current and former members of H2O churches in my part of the country (Cincinnati, Ohio) and am greatly concerned that the same kinds of GCx abuses are still occurring in these H2O churches. It's similar to what happened when the original leader of the ICOC (Kip McKean) was kicked out of leadership and a new group took over. The same abuses still occurred (and are still occuring), but not to the levels that they did in the past. However, these abuses are abuses nonetheless. This is my fear with the people I know who are involved with H2O, particularly at the leadership level.

What makes it more difficult is that the ICOC's teachings are very easy to pick out, namely one is not saved unless they follow the ICOC's bible studies which as a lost person you start living the life of a saved person so you can be baptized and become a saved person. (Wait, what??? That's what they teach in a nutshell!) It's harder to uncover bad GCx theology unless you really dig into it.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:07 am »

Welcome Xray342!

Unfortunately false teachers are not uncommon or Paul would not have so strongly warned believers in Acts, chapter 20, verses 29-31 to WATCH OUT for them. He was brought to tears with his concern for them. Thanks for the heartfelt warning to those in GCx's churches named H2O.

In regard to those who are under false teachers' tutelage, and take the "controls" of leadership this verse seems to appropriately describe their spiritual condition:

"if a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

Matthew 15:14

Thanks for speaking out here.

Janet

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:38:58 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: