Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:24:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Jim, I'm the new guy  (Read 3024 times)
crazyjimwilson
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: January 12, 2016, 10:58:30 pm »

Okay, so I'll start with my customary introduction.  I attended the Rock ISU and Stonebrook Ames from 2005 through 2010.  I made a few mistakes and broke a few rules.  I made a few friends and mouthed off at a few people whose bubbles needed a little bursting.  But I'm flabbergasted at the recurring themes here.  Maybe I'm lucky but I never caught the same kinds of disrespect that many of you appear to have received.  I was welcomed warmly and retained eagerly, even when the Stonebrook folks figured out that I was only going for the donuts (a metaphor I used when attempting to court a girl there; it went as well as you might predict) and when I stopped supporting missionaries (a fact that I mentioned when I told said missionaries that I'm an atheist and that I don't regret the money I gave them and that I want none of it back).

I stopped going when I realized that education, not playing at religion, would get me out of the rut my life was in.  I enrolled at DMACC and fell into a new job.  I wrote a plan for my life.  I made new friends.  One job went to suck and another one took its place, up a progressive ladder of awesome.  I got arrested (I'm not shy about that) and the intake officer asked me my religious preference.  I told him that I'm an atheist.

I get the feeling that GCM would want me back.  I won't go back, but some of the friends I made there will be my friends till they say otherwise.  I have no intentions of disconnecting with anybody just because they attend a GCM church.  But I feel for all of you who had these horrible experiences.  I've tried to conduct myself with integrity, neither cruel nor cowardly, and to make amends when I make mistakes (I hope that sounds familiar to most of you).  That's why I use my real name and don't need anonymity.  If I've hurt you in the past, tell me.  I accept all calls and all callers.
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:54:37 am »

Welcome, Crazy Jim! Glad you're here, and glad you're unscathed  Wink
theresearchpersona
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 06:55:14 pm »

Hello Jim. Smiley I'm the burned-out/disconnected opposite of you. xD Glad to *meet* you...sort-of!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: