Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:23:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timeline of Suzanne's story  (Read 15249 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 02:50:08 pm »

Still Learning-

Thank you SOOOO much for that video link.  It is so helpful in understanding the impact a position of power has on the gradual introduction of sexual matter.  It explains how someone can be dangerously exploited in a relationship that is built or already exists, and how the perpetrator uses it for his own gratification without any consideration to the harmful and long lasting effects upon his victims.

This is GREAT video to educate us in the power manipulated to catch and keep his victim's entangled.  It seems similar to what the three victims of the pastor in question experienced.

Thanks Again,

Janet

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 02:58:01 pm »

Thank you, Rebel.  Your words of understanding a comfort to me.  

I cried when I read your post. It is hard to get past these things.  So hard for the victim. Talk about feeling alone!!

Some churches are doing a better job of counseling, helping, believing, and at least knowing where to direct victims.

Where is the emoji for tears running down my face?  

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 03:03:08 pm »

"I will literally get on a plane with my mom, book a hotel, and I will be there," said Suzanne van Dyck, 51, an interior designer from the Minneapolis area who said she was abused three decades ago. "
I was once interviewed and misquoted in a newspaper (on a topic totally unrelated to anything GC or religious). It's possible that the NBC reporter also made a mistake when she wrote "thirty years." It would be helpful if Suzanne could clarify this at some point.
Linda

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 04:49:40 pm »

Quote from: Scout
Approximately 23 years ago, I felt very uncomfortable with ways in which Mark Darling was behaving and set up a meeting to talk to him about it.  By this time I was one of his "special" girls and had moved on to being one of his "special" married couples.  We were in his inner circle and felt chosen, special and remarkable.  Note:  for those of you that have read my story on this thread, this meeting took place approximately 5 years before the meeting in my therapist's office in which I confronted Mark Darling.

From this post on Jan. 30th we were told that she expressed discomfort 23 years ago. So, 1995 ish? She also says she had moved from being a special girl to special married couple. I vaguely remember someone posting here that she was married in 1989. If that is the case, saying three decades would not contradict her story.

I have no specific knowledge of what three decades referred to. Just remembered her post, found it, and did some simple math.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
iamnotafraid
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 04:54:18 pm »

Thank you, Rebel.  Your words of understanding a comfort to me.  

I cried when I read your post. It is hard to get past these things.  So hard for the victim. Talk about feeling alone!!

Some churches are doing a better job of counseling, helping, believing, and at least knowing where to direct victims.

Where is the emoji for tears running down my face?  

I'm thankful for my church The Rock.  I've been able to speak to many other women about the abuse we've experienced.  I've felt comforted to hear other women's stories and be able to serve the Lord together and help other women find healing.  It's hard to walk through those things but nice to have friends who have understanding hearts.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: