Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:10:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An AHAA Moment for our Questioning Souls: What WAS that I was under?  (Read 6931 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: March 14, 2016, 01:44:07 pm »

An AHAA Moment for Our Questioning Souls

What WAS that I was under?

Why WAS it so hard to get away?

"The idols...made by hands of men.
They have mouths, but cannot speak,
     eyes, but cannot see;
They have ears, but cannot hear...
Those who make them will be like them,
     and so will all who trust in them."

(Psalm 135:15-18)

Sometimes we must hear a truth several times before it sinks in.  Perhaps because we had been trained in error (either by ignorance or deliberate manipulation) so long, the truth does not easily settle in our minds.

It seems God understands this about us, and so gently and lovingly removes the error just one layer at a time.  Perhaps because being confronted with the weightlessness of long held ideas would rock us too much.  I feel this is the case for the pull and consequences of idolatry in believers' lives.  For instance, it seems obvious to us when we view (from outside it) an unhealthy codependent relationship of a loved one, but not so obvious to us when we are the one inside the soul tie.  We probably have all known someone in such an unhealthy place.  We don't understand why they can't easily walk away.  Our words often sadly seem to lack the power to free them.  It appears sometimes that nothing less than a divine intervention will deliver them.

"Among my people are wicked men who lie in wait like men who snare birds and like those set up traps to catch men.  Like cages full of birds, their houses are full of deceit; they have become rich and powerful and have grown fat and sleek."   (Jeremiah 5:26-27)

Looking at a similar problem the Israelites (in the Old Testament) had with some very aggressive soul ties, we can examine more closely the scene and the detrimental effects they had.  It seems God instructs Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel, His Prophets, to give an urgent message to His People to warn them of danger in their midst.  These prophets faithfully deliver God's message as he has told them, saying that some of the spiritual leaders of the Israelite people were actually NOT sent by God; and he certainly did NOT give them their message.  These harmfully aggressive leaders, acting outside of God's authority, were disheartening his people and tearing them down in order to build themselves up.  They were using His People for their own exultation and glory. God appointed and sent His Prophets to speak his divine message to them because he knew the people were blind to it.

"Israel's watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge; they are mute dogs, they cannot bark..."      (Isaiah 56:10)

"You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured.  You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally".        (Ezekiel 34:4)

"Must my flock feed on what you have trampled and drink what you have muddied with your feet?"          (Ezekiel 34:19)

The rebellious leaders disguised themselves as God's shepherds, sent by him, and carrying his message. Thus, the Israelites could easily be fooled into following them. They could get way off His intended path and fall into idolatry.  Following men who are not or no longer led by The Spirit, but by the flesh.  Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel warn God's people of falling into this pit of idolatry with these wayward men, he calls False Prophets.  

I believe God, The Good Shepherd, is calling us by The Holy Spirit to see through His eyes and hear through His ears that the leaders we were under in GCX churches were trapped by an evil false prophet/ false teacher, Jim McCotter, and had fallen prey to follow and teach his idolatrous ways. I think some of the temptation was that mere men were glorified and given a false sense of approval, importance, and purpose. They were actually given a counterfeit calling. Their devotion to love GCX with all their heart, soul, mind and strength was definitely not divine, but fashioned by men.

Many of us like myself were snared into this trap. (I am not talking about genuine faith in Christ's shed blood for our sins for eternal salvation.) I am speaking of the possession and control of us and our day to day living by this man and those under his spell. Healthy Christians tried to warn me, but I had already begun to forfeit the grace to see and hear by the Spirit. I became "robot" like in my submission to these men.  Like the scripture above says, a sort of hollow shell.

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs".   (Jonah)

I would not have understood this biblical principle of idolatry had God not revealed it to me with much patience, compassion, and care. Though I have been gone from GCX 25 years now, I didn't start getting a clear grasp on the actual reality of False Teachers among God's people and over my own life (through my 10 years in GCX) until recent years when I started asking him 'WHAT WAS THAT?' For him to 'Show me in his word what was specifically perverted there'. I believe God is continuing to educate us through our own conversations with Him, answering us in his revelational word; and on this forum through His Spirit about what we were really caught up in. I believe He is calling his people who were false shepherds under this wolf in sheeps clothing to come into the light and admit the truth. I believe many of these leaders were not happy, but actually miserable there. Codependent, especially unhealthy "spiritually" codependent ties as we see in the verses above are extremely difficult to walk away from. But, they are much more dangerous and debilitating to remain in. I am also strongly convinced it is God's divine intention to crush completely this harmful system of GCx; to bring it to nothing and nowhere.

Here is an encouraging word from our God on his current and coming judgement:

'The Lord takes his place in court; he rises to judge the people.
The Lord enters into judgement against the elders and leaders of his people:
      "It is you who have ruined my vineyard;
      The plunder from the poor is in your houses.
      What do you mean by crushing my people
           And grinding the faces of the poor?"
                                        declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:20:23 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 08:45:25 pm »

What do you mean by crushing my people
And grinding the faces of the poor
declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty.

I should add, my wife and I stayed as long as we did because we had partially bought into the GC mentality that God is always displeased with us, so we must work harder to please Him, and no group works harder than GC, so...  As you all know, this is a self-defeating approach.  This undertone of their bad theology leads to both pride and despair.  What a pity, we just didn't get it.
-EverAStudent

It seems like this is the kind of dark bondage that Galatians is addressing, working rather than present-active-believing to be experience God’s movement in our lives. So it follows that gratitude for mercy and grace is blocked. This is a form of adding something to the pure gospel; which results in heavy burdens and continual shame.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:55:35 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:53:12 pm »

What WAS that I was under?

A Very UNHEALTHY Church

When people leave a difficult and painful church, they often ask in counseling, “Is this normal?” “Am I crazy or over-reacting?” “Is this unhealthy church leadership?”

... a wise ministry friend who knew our church and the characteristics of others like it, warned me: “It’s going to take you a few years to see things more clearly and understand the problems with what you just experienced.”

... Too often you are taught that “our way is the best way and our critics are our enemies. ” Additionally, you often have seen what happens to those who disagree with church leadership and some of the ugly responses they have endured. ...

Here are some warning signs of unhealthy church leadership. ...

1. Leaders won’t apologize or admit to clear mistakes. ... Unhealthy churches are so driven by the  insecurities of worldly success that they can’t admit mistakes...

2. Leaders can’t give clear answers and seek to marginalize critics. ...churches can exaggerate, threaten, manipulate, or withhold information to marginalize their critics too. God calls elders to have integrity and give a clear answer, not spin. Some churches even have a practice of requiring non-disclosure agreements. Churches need to avoid these types of practices if they care to have the trust of the flock.

3. Former leaders just “disappear” without explanation. When a high percentage of former staff can no longer vouch for the character and health of the church leadership, they often disappear quickly. Most often this is because they are troubled by what they have seen as a staff person and are often conflicted about how to respond. This is a major warning sign. If former staff and elders are removed with little to no explanation, it is generally safe to assume they have lost confidence in the church leadership.

4. Leaders protect what they value the most, and develop a theology to protect it. A church that cares most about their reputation will often mislead the congregation to protect their image. A church that cares most about finances will get very angry if someone threatens their ability to acquire funds or if you question expenditures. If control is the issue, then unreasonable requests will be pressured upon unassuming leaders. The insecurities of a church leader are revealed in conflict. Healthy church leadership will be more focused on serving the church instead of protecting what they personally value.

5. When you’re out, you’re out. ... Unhealthy church leaders rarely interact with any former staff, and they seek to erase and transfer any remaining influence that former staff has at the church. Those who leave healthy church staffs want to continue those relationships and feel that they can.

The above are portions clipped from the article below. Some bold and italicized emphasis was mine as it pertains to GCx trained leaders and culture. For the full article click on the link below:

5 Signs of Unhealthy Churches - Biblical Counseling Center.org - Tim Allchin

https://biblicalcounselingcenter.org/recognizing-the-signs-of-unhealthy-church-leadership/#

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: