Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:01:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave B of the 1991 Weaknesses Letter  (Read 6847 times)
The Clone
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: September 02, 2007, 11:06:37 pm »

I would not say that Dave B. is passive-aggressive. I know him pretty well and was next to him especially when the book of government was being framed and debated. I would say at most, that Dave B. might be frustrated but not angry.
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:22:28 am »

Would you care to comment on the specific nature of the interactions that led to the Book of Government (or Articles of Association)?

Om, shanti.
The Clone
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:42:56 pm »

Here is an email written to me, The Clone from a long-ago member that was from Ames about the whole Weakness Letter and the nature of Dave B.  From my research, Dave will do what others tell him regarding sending Namesta papers.  Dave should send them regarldess of who requests it. It's a game of catch-me-if-you-can here.  No one one will show their hand, but GCM said they would and LIED again about their openess to change.

The Letter written to the clone from Phil:

Good question regarding why Dave Bovenmeyer was the fall guy for The Statement of Weaknesses of 1991. What I remember of Dave Bovenmeyer from 1976, he was a soft-spoken guy, more willing to be a doormat than others. Dave has no formal schooling that I know of. Gee, where are the rush-to-the-microphone guys like Mark Darling, Dennis Clark, Brent Knox, Tom Short, Jim Coleman and others at times like this? I think it's just more evidence that the leaders are usually just glory boys wanting to tell others what to do, and hopefully make a buck while doing it.
     I'm not really aware of Great Commission Ministries getting taken to court, BUT I know there are past litigation issues--other than rumors in 1980 or of the IRS going after Jim McCotter or Mark Darling’s personal issues. I wouldn't doubt what happened was that a disgruntled caregiver for his children (of which he and his wife always had one on hand) tried to cause trouble later for Jim McCotter. It was almost a common practice for the leaders to ask some unmarried woman/women in the group to "help out" with the children. Many would say “Yes,” since it was almost a sign of distinction to be included into that leader's inner circle. An example of this was my family members being asked in 1984 by Tom and Janet Grove to come along with them to Colorado to help with the children (a team of around a dozen was starting a satellite church in Fort Collins). Well, the team moves to Colorado, the singles are deathly lonely, and some, have trouble with jobs. Eventually she started having "problems," but where were Tom and Janet Grove and the others that made good use of her baby-sitting services then? They probably condemned her "problems" as poor character, and backed away from her.  But GCI has rarely known what to do with weak people anyway (save a few like Todd Gustafson). Their values are more along the lines of using the talented and good looking to “powerfully” reach the world for Jesus.
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:29:06 am »

Clone-
GC was also (quite famously) gone after by the IRS in the late 90s for the way they do support raising for staffers.  The question was whether it was acceptable to give a donation to a charitable organization and then force them to use it for a particular purpose.

GC won that battle, as I recall.  I think I have a link around here somewhere...

This one is brief, and from a conservative source.
http://ctlibrary.com/1104

There used to be a goldmine of info on the IRS website (this was a very, very, very important lawsuit- did I mention very?), but I can't find it quickly.  All of the filings, etc. are available somewhere (for free).

Anyhoo, after that experience, I'll bet anyone would be a little freaked out to hear the name of the IRS dropped.

As to litigation, I'm not aware of any commenced against GC, but frankly, I'd be a bit suprised if there wasn't.  I've read old newspaper articles where people threatened it.  I'd imagine any lawsuit from members/families against GC would be filed in Federal Court (diversity action), so it should show up on pacer.  I'll see if I can look later.

Om, shanti.
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:55:54 am »

I've seen ripples in the blogosphere about some lawsuit involving a guy named Standinger, in Ohio, circa 1994.  Anyone want to share the scoop on that?

One of the consequences of the loosely affiliated organization theme (although I'm positive that it was never considered by GC leadership, so I don't think they did this on purpose) is that it becomes really difficult to find out about legal action taken against them.

A litigant could have filed in the jurisdiction of any of the local churches, or in the jurisdiction of any regional or national hq.  They could have filed in state or Federal court.  

It will take a fair bit of doing to even find out definitively if they have been involved in legal action(s), much less get the court papers.  

But I have to admit, if they made it to discovery, it would be like Christmastime to read through interrogatories, etc.  :twisted:

Om, shanti.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: