Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:25:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: False Apostle Still Influences GCx and Burden Believers  (Read 14531 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: October 29, 2012, 08:55:56 pm »

False Apostle Still Influences GCx and Burdens Believers

"Though untrained in public speaking, I am certainly not untrained in knowledge"     2 Corinthians 11:6

"When I was present with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs. I have kept myself, and will keep myself, from burdening you in any way"     2 Corinthians 11:9

Paul's humble attitude toward the believers he ministered to is very different from the attitude I witnessed and received first hand under Jim McCotter when I attended the GCx church in Maryland.  Paul, apparently, was not a charismatic speaker and thus probably did not use slick persuasive tone, expression, or words to deliver his messages; but relied upon the pure power of Grace & Truth itself.  He comes across as unassuming, meek, somewhat reticent at asking for financial support, and even inferior to the other apostles.  This is in glaring contrast to GCx founder, McCotter, who instead wanted us to know he was superior to us because had a relationship with God only few could share, and that he had higher revelation about God's plans to reach the world than any other current christian leader or church group.  In fact, it seems he said or implied since the first century!  Although he talked about GCx leadership's (implying his) humility, dedication, and meekness, he not only showed no hesitation over the all the time, money, family and careers he necessitated we surrender "to God", but he gave an utter condemnation on the unworthiness of the believer who would not.  It was only "right" and "obedient" that we suffer to accomplish the grand plans he dictated were God's will.  He actually acted as if he were the one to be feared.  

"I know that, after my departure, savage wolves will come in among you and won’t spare the flock.  Some of your own people  will distort the word in order to lure followers after them.  Stay alert! Remember that for three years I constantly and tearfully warned each one of you. I never stopped warning you!"      Acts 20:29-31

This GCx founders' callous, brutal, and cruel treatment of believers was evidence of his godlessness.  Those who intimidate, frighten, and castigate others are NOT DEVOTED TO or LOVING GOD, no matter what they say.  Only those who practice the second commandment are really following the first.  Paul did not teach or disciple this way and neither did Jesus.  Jesus never manipulates or condemns us to action.  Through voluntary faith he changes us, instead.  He truly is abounding in compassion and lovingkindness.  

"Remind them of these things, charging them before God not to fight about words; this is in no way profitable and leads to the ruin of the hearers.  Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed, correctly teaching the word of truth.  But avoid irreverent, empty speech, for this will produce an even greater measure of godlessness."    2 Timothy 2:14-16   HCSB

If you watch the Spiritual Gifts Video of Jim McCotter, http://gcxweb.org/Misc/ApostleshipVideo/Default.aspx (on this site), you can actually note these numerous empty arguments and prolonged discussion on "higher or better knowledge" of particular biblical words (which are not founded) and the distorted definitions he attempts to build upon.  It's so empty and void of Truth that he doesn't even list the other four out of five scriptures that supposedly back up his "argument".  In fact, he tells his audience of believers they are too proud and immature to receive them.  Even his personal group prayer is empty and irreverent and VERY manipulative.  I had no idea he didn't even stop and close his eyes, his eyes dart over the room as if he'll be caught, all the while he moves to his next agenda.    

"That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you... You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free."     Galatians 5:8,13

Perhaps if we have not been in a church with doctrinally sound or "approved" teachers and leaders before, we might not understand what one should look like .  As long as they are preaching Jesus and the same bible, we may think it has God's stamp of approval.  However, there is a stark difference between an approved bible teacher and one who distorts the word to subtly lure and attract followers to themselves away from the main body of Christ.  This teacher God' says should be ashamed.  They use LOTS of empty arguments, empty logic, and empty reasoning for the purpose of PERSUASION.  Why would persuasion to virtually isolate believers from other sound christian teaching be necessary if the "love of Christ CONTROLS us"?  

"Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough?"     1 Corinthians 5:6

By GCx not standing against or condemning this man's evil teaching and actions they have perpetuated them and fostered their growth as the above truth tells us.  That is obvious in the current and recent claims on this site.  They continue to confuse, deceive and hurt believers.  

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:29:54 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
gooldb328
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:01:45 am »

As new parents, Jim and I memorized the verses from Proverbs and Ephesians on training children.  How thankful we are for such clear instruction from God’s Word!  When I’m confused about how to handle a certain situation with the children, these verses give me specific direction to follow.

braindumps   Braindumps
Certkiller 640-461 dumps   Certkiller 640-461 dumps
arthur
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:19:39 pm »

Sorry for the dump - but the subject of clarity is a hot button for me, and one of the big reasons that I began feeling uncomfortable with GCX years before I left.

A long time ago I came to the conclusion that the more you know about the bible, the less clear it becomes. I usually assume that someone who claims "clarity" in the scriptures usually knows very little about interpreting it correctly. You may be different, and I may be reading more into your use of the word "clear" than you intended. Still, GCx doctrine was to teach the "clear meaning of scripture". Yet, that "clear meaning" was achieved by oversimplification of the text by failing to respect linguistics, history, culture, science, ethics, hermeneutics, apologetics, epistemology, ontology, and other subjects. The resulting interpretation was crafted by twisting the text to make that point the pastor wanted to make, rather than the point that the text was trying to make, and this is a practice that I truly hate. I found the child care teachings of GCx more than a little creepy, and always chose instead to rely on other sources when raising my own kids, using scripture as illustration rather than as a textbook.

When raising kids, I believe (and I could be wrong) that scripture is clear on one and only one point: love (agape) them. Everything else that I think scripture says looks like its a special case that could illustrate anything from good parenting to very bad parenting.

What does scripture say about A.D.D.? hyperactivity? gifted minds? developmental delays? asymmetric development? teasing and bullying?  depression? physical disability? education? age of accountability? dating age? chores? allowances? homework? how about who owns a child's income? how about how much authority the church has over your kids? teaching children about myths (Santa Clause? Tooth Fairy? Easter Bunny?)

Nothing specific - only generalities and vagaries and sometimes insights that are true and may help the thought process along as you try to solve each problem, but CERTAINLY NOTHING THAT CAN BE CALLED "CLEAR!!" True guidance takes time and patience and study to ferret out the implications of what you think you've read in scripture, and to separate truth from lie.

GCX teaches that are no problems with kids that can't be solved with prayer and discipline (spanking, rules, authority). Try that on a kid who was born with special needs and see where it goes. Even on psychologically healthy kids, these techniques can mess them up but good! Raising kids requires both positive and negative reinforcement, and a LOT more positive than negative.

Did GCX EVER teach about the positive part of raising children? No, not even once in the more than 15 years that I went to a GCX church. I only realized it was missing when I had kids of my own. Of course by then, there were a lot more issues that were apparent to me than when I joined them in the beginning. I was so naive.

But now, I think for myself, and I'm more guarded about who and what I will be believe. Now, I attend a church whose pastors actually prepare for their sermons, and whose sermons stand up to close examination. And whose pastors who are open to criticism, believing that they can be better than they are by actually listening to parishioners.

Most important, I actually get to feel the hope that my faith is supposed to bring me. They teach the gospel. I feel happy leaving church Sunday morning, having been reminded of the reasons for my hope, having listened to an exegesis or exposition that is well done.

OK... I'm done....

-Arthur-
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:13:27 am »

There has been a trend toward harsh, so-called "Biblical" parenting in Christian circles for several decades now. In the late 80's, my non-GC church taught a program called "Growing Kids God's Way." Although it had a few features I liked, such as teaching kids to address adults as Title-Lastname instead of Firstname, it was mostly a graceless program that emphasized punishment over love (or, worse yet, redefined love as punishment). The program called for spanking a disobedient child until the child showed clear evidence of repentence. I recall wondering, "What's the difference between spanking until the heart changes, and simply beating a child into submission?" It was, in many significant ways, an awful, destructive, and IMO godless program.

I'm not saying that punishment is never necessary, but that it should never be the go-to solution for every parenting problem. Can you imagine how awful our own lives would be if God took that approach to us?
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 08:57:47 pm »

All this commitment to the church.  Where is the emphasis on our relationship with the Lord? Even those messages depended on US.  

This is the problem with GCx -- everything is what we do, not Who Christ is?  There is no motivation in doing this work.  After 10 years in this church I felt burned out.  Every message was full of guilt and shame.  We were never doing enough.  Everything depended on US.  Wrong theology.  WRONG in so many ways.  ...

The early days were foolish days.  We went to conferences on buses that had no brakes (makes me cringe to think of it now), in the middle of snow storms,  we were encouraged to go to meetings even when very sick, no time for anything of a personal nature (you were made to feel guilty for spending time doing things you enjoyed).  If you didn't go to these meetings you were labelled fringe or uncommitted or rebellious.  There was no room for growth or process of life.  

He [GCx Leader] was the one who told me that it wasn't God's will for me to live in an apartment by myself or go to college (after all I would be getting married) or to get a good job since it would be too much time commitment and not enough time to share the gospel.

-wastedyearsthere,   2010

Let’s look at the logic of some of this counsel. I’m not convinced it was sharing the good news of Jesus that GCx was concerned about. Living by yourself doesn’t stop us from sharing. In fact, you may actually have more time alone to spend with God whose forgiving love is the chief motivator in telling others about His Gospel. He is the Vine and fruit producer after all.

Going to college is a path some take to add knowledge and training (often necessary) in the areas you wish to work. This can be a great advantage in supporting oneself and giving to others. (Personally, I am grateful I graduated from college with a degree in my area of work as I didn’t marry until my 30’s. My parents and grandparents, who paid for it; I, who would be responsible for the work necessary, and God Himself only have the right to make that judgement call.)

This whole reasoning by “GCx” of members giving up anything that takes time away from “producing more members” for the “GCx” Church Organizations (not really Jesus) is suspicious to say the least.
Giving up a good job at a mere man’s persuasive counsel who is neither husband, nor responsible parent and offering no provisional ministry to take its place is quite unwise. That leader should have to pay for the member’s needs. Only Jesus calls into specific ministry and only Jesus sustains us there.

GCx and Jesus are NOT one and the same. Actually, according to Paul’s letters to the Galatians and Colossians, “GCx” seems to represent a different “Jesus” in the way that it PRACTICES (not presents) the Gospel. I would say as such, members are made captive slaves to men rather than set free in Christ to respond in obedience to the One who lays his life down to love them and provide for all their needs.

My personal conclusion is that only a false teacher and evil man can voraciously exploit & isolate men in the name of God’s gospel for his own selfish ambition of building an (ungodly) “kingdom” to jealously rival most other true works of God.

For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist,
there is disorder [unrest, rebellion] and every
evil thing and morally degrading practice.

James 3:16   AMP

« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 06:14:57 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: