Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:11:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is GCx GOOD for My Faith?  (Read 9660 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: July 16, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »

Is GCx GOOD for Growing in My Faith?

Will I Benefit from its Teaching?

What does God's Word say about some of its foundational teachings?

It seems that so many write here to inquire if GCX or any group affiliated with or related to its teachings are actually beneficial churches? They might be considering trying them out. They might be attending one. They may have been a member of one?  They may have made many friends there, and hesitate leaving them.  They wonder if this high level of committment is actually spiritually advantageous (as they likely have been falsely persuaded)?  They want to give Christ their all and have no regrets later (of which they are also often deceptively pressured with).  If like me, they might just be scared to do the "WRONG" thing (which they have been abusively told is to leave the church) because they desire to be acceptable and pleasing to God.  So, they may have been compelled through false spiritual authority to agree to present themselves to this group and their separative traditions.

"Woe to the obstinate children", declares The Lord, "to those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, BUT NOT BY MY SPIRIT..."  (Isaiah 30:1)

Unhealthy churches do not post a sign "DANGER:  Severe Risk To Your Precious Faith".  In fact, Paul tells those he loves that have entered into such alliances:  They will go to great lengths to appear better than others, and more PLEASING to God than other church groups.  They will tell you you'll receive more favor and blessing from God by committing to their SPECIAL methods.  Paul says they will be like the world in appealing to your ego, promising to make you a superior christian.  

"For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached...you put up with it easily enough."  "I do not think I am in the least inferior to these "super-apostles".   (2 Cor. 11:4,6)

"For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one who The Lord commends"...(2 Cor. 10:18)

'I am not ashamed of the gospel (the good news of the grace of Christ) because IT actually (presently actively) IS the POWER (miraculous ability to perform) OF GOD for the (victorious rescue from destructive enemies) deliverance of everyone (presently actively) BELIEVING...For IN the Gospel a (divine) righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that IS BY FAITH from the beginning (eternal saving faith) of each believers new life (moment by moment faith as he chooses) to the end...The Righteous will live abundantly and victoriously (as he chooses to abide in Christ) BY FAITH (in Christ's righteousness in them).'  

[Rom. 1:16 paraphrased by me from the Greek - via Interlinear Bible - please check out for yourself!]
(Tony Evans and Tullian Tchividjian rightly divide this verse out much better)

Paul warns the BELIEVERS that if they TRY TO PLEASE GOD by obeying rules and regulations, Christ will be of NO VALUE (or help) TO THEM!  A particular group he referred to made circumcision a requirement to be pleasing to God, surrendering themselves to be cut off all around - as if to extinguish lusts and sin.  GCx did this same thing - but in a different way - by striving to separate us through unnatural and invasive impositions on our personal lives.  This included separation from even "lesser" christians and their teachers.  Which, of course, results in an arrogant spirit, even hostility toward those who don't agree. Galatians 5:1 in the greek says don't ENTANGLE yourselves {enechesthe} with this type of teaching.  Don't be HELD IN by it.  He says these "holier" methods are a bondage or brand of slavery.  Thayers explains its a slavish sense of fear, DEVOID ALIKE OF BUOYANCY OF SPIRIT & TRUST IN GOD.

"Stand firm...and DO NOT LET YOURSELVES be burdened again by a YOKE of slavery"   (Gal.5:1)

"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the GRACE of Christ and are turning to a DIFFERENT gospel - which is really NO GOSPEL (GOOD news) AT ALL."   (Gal. 1:6,7)

Jesus says the only work or comittment you must continually do to have success in your christian journey is to believe.  We are all prone to unbelief here and there as believers because we still have a  sinful flesh.  It encourages me to hear teaching on Romans that addresses believers as it's intended audience.  Explaining that our main obstacle to obeying Christ is unbelief (as children of God), not lack of "good works".  Believing in and relying upon His Righteousness rather than our own causes power and grace to flow freely through us!  But thinking we are approved because we are meeting certain standards by examining our "good behavior" is a set up for unbelief.  Self-righteousness being the biggest cause for lack of grace and power to really act as Jesus does.  Therefore, nothing - but Jesus, himself, (actively & presently relying upon him) makes us even good Christians.

"Then they asked him, "what must we do to DO THE WORKS GOD REQUIRES?"  Jesus answered, The work of God is this: TO BELIEVE in the ONE he has sent."   (John 6:28-29)

"Apart from me you can do NO good".  (John 15:5)    "There is only ONE who is good"  (Matt. 19:17)

False teachers knowingly and unknowingly create pits for true faith or dependence upon Jesus' righteousness.  They invent a "righteousness" of their own.  Because it is not a righteousness FROM God it is Not good in God's eyes.  So, following these "superior" rules is actually doing your faith NO good, God says.

"Mark my words!  I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be ..., Christ will be of no value to you."  (Paul addressing believers in Gal 5:1)

I feel God calls out False Teachers in many of these passages. Though they promise advantage and even power, they actually deliver the opposite -heavy burdens, shame and disgrace.  I asked God some time ago to show me where GCx was exposed in the Bible; and these and many other verses God kept highlighting to me over and over.  I believe God is calling out GCx as he called out this Galatian church's teachings and leaders!  And God wants you to ask him about it, so he can show you HIMSELF, too.  

"Though they have officials...and their envoys have arrived..., everyone will be put to shame because of a people USELESS to them, who bring neither help nor advantage, but only shame and disgrace."
  (Isaiah 30:4,5)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:28:27 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:01 pm »

CBN Looks At Spiritual Abuse

Here is a really helpful link from CBN, a reliable source, in examining churches for spiritual abuse

http://www1.cbn.com/warning-signs-of-spiritual-abuse-part-one
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:29:35 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:07:13 pm »

More From CBN on Signs of Spiritual Abuse

If you have read some or many of the thousands of posts on this site you would have no problem identifying them with the signs of spiritual abuse outlined in CBN's article based on Mike Fehlauer's book, Exposing Spiritual Abuse.  In fact, the heavy amount of evidence here on this website, according to this article alone, would convict this organization of longstanding and widespread spiritual abuse.

I have included just a few quotes from it to reveal how close GCx's practices are to it's signs.  (The underlining and bold emphasis are mine.). The remainder of the piece strongly resembles the concerns and complaints of the former members (from the entire span of its existence) writing here. The link to the full article is at the bottom.

Excerpts from "Warning Signs of Spiritual Abuse - Part Two"

...When we pursue the honor of men, we do so at the expense of our relationship with God. If we continue to do so, gradually men will take the place of God in our lives. An unhealthy soul tie is created, and our sense of confidence is determined by our standing with those in leadership. This kind of control will destroy people spiritually!

...This kind of preaching causes church members to seek a position of favor with the pastor rather than a proper desire to "please God and not man." Jesus also condemned such man-pleasing...

...A man from one church told me, "We were told that it is more important to obey leaders than to question what they are doing." He went on to say, "It was unthinkable to question the motives of the pastor."...

...Pastors operating under a spirit of control are often convinced that they are the only ones who can accurately hear from God. Under the constant exposure to this spirit, members often become convinced that they indeed need their pastor to think for them. In essence, their personal fellowship with the Lord has been abdicated for a relationship with a man. As a result, they lose their confidence in being able to discern the will of God for their lives...

[© 2001 Mike Fehlauer. All rights reserved. Excerpted from Mike Fehlauer's book, Exposing Spiritual Abuse.]

http://www1.cbn.com/warning-signs-of-spiritual-abuse-part-two

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:02:38 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:50 pm »

The GCx Law of “Rejoicing Always”

I love Sarah Young’s paraphrase of the truths of scripture written in first person. After all, that’s what is so comforting and thrilling about being God’s child -that He actually makes our relationship to him very personal. His detailed plans for us are not the same as for his other children. He’s not looking for robotic obedience. It’s not about simply following rules and being rewarded or punished. For example, in GCx we were constantly told as if it were a condescending command to “Rejoice always” period. Never be disappointed, or hurt, or angry, or grieving. ‘Don’t feel’ is what was essentially communicated with that rule. Swallowing that rule was a big step toward disconnection, not experiencing how God made us. We also lost out on the opportunity to experience how He intended to be the One to lift us up (which sometimes included his love and compassion being ministered through others.)

It’s about our heart that is seeking to please Him out of great gratitude. So many verses in the Bible support and reveal this. Isaiah 61:10 below demonstrates that. The conjunction “for” used here translates “because” in the vast majority of cases according to NAS Exhaustive Concordance. So, Isaiah rejoices BECAUSE he understands and presently accepts these stupendous gifts of salvation and righteousness, not because he has to. Not only that, but his soul (his inner thoughts and emotions) experience this inner exultation, not just his lips.

GCx was nearly all about the outward appearance; going through the motions and leaving your heart behind. Their constant rebukes of “Rejoice Always” were evidence of this. That is why my observant friend who visited my GCx Church on several occasions said to me, “Why would I want to join a church where people are smiling on the outside, but crying on the inside?” The testimonies of that very thing are scarily common on this site.

He is Our Father who instructs us for our benefit, guides us onto the paths of abundant life, steers us away from what will hurt us and others, corrects our waywardness with loving whispers and faithful discipline, and wondrously rewards our trust in Him so that we may enjoy the delightful fruits of walking with Him. It’s all about constant communication between God and us. As Jesus amazingly said, “Just as the Father has loved me, so have I loved you.” That alone is worth much contemplation. We need never doubt his attention toward us. We are on a journey of being candid with God and being sensitive to what he is trying to communicate to us in his Word, in his encouragement through his people, in his quiet whisper through His Spirit, and his ordaining our circumstances.

Here is an excerpt on this important truth from Sarah Young’s wildly encouraging devotional book, “Jesus Calling,” (pages 60-61):

... Beloved, the best way to face yourself is to remember you are constantly clothed in My robe of righteousness. I have no illusions about what lies beneath that pristine garment of salvation. Nonetheless, I take great delight in you; I even rejoice over you with singing. Open yourself up to My unfailing Love. Talk with Me about whatever is bothering you. Experience your pain in the Light of My loving Presence. ...

I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness...

Isaiah 61:10

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.

Zephaniah 3:17

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:28:05 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 08:10:24 pm »

More Jesus, Less Religion: Moving from Rules to Relationship” by Stephen Arterburn and Jack Felton is a sequel to “Toxic Faith.” Publisher’s Weekly explains that “Arterburn and Felton describe healthy faith as one that is centered on the person of Jesus, reflecting His example of mature love, respect for individuals and realism about human weakness. The book takes a compassionate but firm tone, warning against the subtle pressures many evangelicals feel to maintain the appearance of being ""good Christians"" even at great spiritual expense to themselves and their families, making it ""easy to either give up or to get weird trying to earn God's favor.""

“... the authors criticize distortions in evangelical religious expression while affirming what evangelicals recognize as their most important commitments--to the person of Christ and the message of the Bible.”

Goodreads describes “More Jesus, Less Religion” for readers who want to enter into a deeper joy, stronger obedience, greater influence, and healthier experience of God, More Jesus, Less Religion points the way to the grace of the Lord and shows what it takes to avoid the pitfalls of a faith based on legalism and works.

GCx scarily fit these authors’ description of a “Toxic Faith” Church. This sequel to that book describes what a healthy faith church looks like -focusing on relationship with Christ rather than simply rules to adhere to.

Link to Book:

https://www.amazon.com/More-Jesus-Less-Religion-Relationship/dp/0307458822

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 09:25:57 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 09:12:03 pm »

This VERY REVEALING insight into “Ungodly Churches” is copied from a 2015 post here that some may have missed.

The following is an EXTREMELY confirming and clarifying excerpt of a Bible Study by Beth Moore I did years ago. All the bold emphasis is my own identification of similarities in GCX. I hope you find it just as helpful.

From Page 90, "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things,
 Beware of the Web" (workbook) by Beth Moore, 2003

"In the following example, circle any elements of Satan's schemes that you see."  (All Bold emphasis mine)

"I have a dear friend who along with her husband was caught in the powerful seduction of a religious cult. They were very active Christians who were enticed by a church that profess to practices very close to those of the early church in the Book of Acts. In actuality very few of their practices ended up imitating the early church with the convenient exception of pooled finances.  They did not realize how far they were veering from the Word into man-induced legalism and bondage because the leaders interpreted the Scripture for them. They were not encouraged to study the Bible for themselves. Are you beginning to recognize the signs? They lost the active protection of the ongoing sanctification of God's truth.

In the end, this family was seduced into losing practically everything they had except their salvation and one another. My friend is one of the least gullible people I know. She testifies that this cult had a terrifying seductive power to control the mind and blind the eyes. Keep in mind that any kind of mind manipulation that draws a believer away from his or her wholehearted, sincere, and pure devotion to Christ qualifies as a demonic seduction according to 2 Corinthians 11:2-3.

For our present subject matter, pay particular attention to the following dimension of Satan's scheme.  My friend said that the hardest part of the cult to walk away from was the closeness of the members to one another. Their lives were extremely intertwined. They did everything together and knew virtually everything about one another.

The separation was "bloody" because they were all skintight. Defectors couldn't simply clip the ties and walk away. They had to tear themselves away. They were not bound in the Spirit. They were bound in their Spirit-mimicking flesh. Dependency counterfeited genuine unity. Their ties weren't sexual, but they were messy. There's our key word.

Have you ever been or ever known anyone who was seduced by a cult? What were some of the common denominators in their experience and that of my friend?

Read 2 Cor. 11:4-6. What did the apostle Paul imply about the message others were preaching?"

From:  http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/excerpt-from-'when-godly-people-do-ungodly-things-beware-of-the-web'/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:09:32 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 07:32:19 pm »

I found what this biblical counselor had to say and warn about unhealthy churches helpful. I have clipped two of his five signs. The link to the article and their website with similar articles is below.

Leaders can’t give clear answers and seek to marginalize critics. A church in our area recently filed a lawsuit to silence its critics. Thankfully, they have chosen to drop the suit. However, churches can exaggerate, threaten, manipulate, or withhold information to marginalize their critics too. God calls elders to have integrity and give a clear answer, not spin. Some churches even have a practice of requiring non-disclosure agreements. Churches need to avoid these types of practices if they care to have the trust of the flock.
. . .

Leaders protect what they value the most, and develop a theology to protect it. A church that cares most about their reputation will often mislead the congregation to protect their image. A church that cares most about finances will get very angry if someone threatens their ability to acquire funds or if you question expenditures. If control is the issue, then unreasonable requests will be pressured upon unassuming leaders. The insecurities of a church leader are revealed in conflict. Healthy church leadership will be more focused on serving the church instead of protecting what they personally value.

https://biblicalcounselingcenter.org/recognizing-the-signs-of-unhealthy-church-leadership/

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 08:41:35 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 08:08:58 pm »

Is GCx GOOD For My Faith?

Do the Shepherds Take Care of the Sheep?

According to scripture this a crucial question in evaluating the spiritual health of our Shepherds. As we might guess, it is not in how clever, polished, or charismatic a pastor/shepherd speaks to his congregation/flock. But, rather how accurately he handles the word of truth. Does he twist the meaning of God’s Word to exploit his flock for his own agenda?

It is also not in how slick he dresses or persuasive his message is. But, how loyal and submissive he is to God; and as a result shows genuine humility toward others. Does he use God’s Word falsely to threaten the hearers to be unconditionally loyal to him/them, essentially substituting himself as the Head (director of their lives) instead of Christ? Does he practice “authority” harshly and brutally?

It definitely is not how he can gather “important” or “attractive” people who seem to have it all together and spend much of his time with them. But, that he treats the needy with the same respect as those who appear “healthy.”  Does he strengthen the weak in faith, bind up the spiritually wounded, and bring back the wayward believers; as well as search for the lost?

God speaks in much detail in Ezekiel 34 against the shepherds who take care of themselves instead of the sheep. Those characteristics are scripturally identified as clearly NOT GOOD for one’s faith. Sadly, the real stories of many former members found on this Forum present a vastly unhealthy environment in GCx Churches (or those churches who have changed their names but their roots remain in GCx teachings and practices.) The testimonies here offer answers to the questions above.

Here is one collection of short excerpts from these former members:

A Great Wounding of God’s People in GCx Churches
http://forum.gcmwarning.com/general-discussion/a-great-wounding-of-gods-people-in-gcx-churches/

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:33:24 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: