Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:51:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have You Been SCAMMED By False Spiritual Authority  (Read 12856 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: January 03, 2015, 08:01:56 pm »

Have You Been SCAMMED

By False Spiritual Authority?

Today I received a call from a dutifully polite police officer patiently and officially notifying me that I had received a Federal Jury Summons to appear as a juror one day this past December.  As the police scanner alternately beeped and hissed in the background, he professionally addressed me and explained in detail for half-an-hour the issue and consequences of my dilemma.  I didn't want to be disrespectful to this police officer, so I listened, and kept my questions to a minimum.  He carefully but unclearly explained at length the dire circumstances.  He said because I had been summoned back in November, and had accepted by certified mail (with a signed receipt in his possession), to appear as a Juror in Federal Court ; and had failed to appear I was now (according to January 2014 Law) fined $250 on two different violations, totaling $500.  Though I could not recall receiving a summons of any kind, I didn't want to be uncooperative with the law.  The officer told me I could submit to pay these fees (by buying a "govt." card from the local chain drugstore & calling him back with the numbers on it); or be apprehended by officers by way of arrest to serve 6-30 days in a certain county jail.  Now, I've never been to jail and my husband (who I had signaled to pick up the phone and heard the whole conversation) didn't want me to have to go either, so we listened to the options we had.  Be arrested or pay the fines.  We then asked him a couple of questions to verify the authenticity of the notification including his address and barracks number, which he rushed through. But, when questioned by us why his official barracks number and official badge number he gave us were the same, he abruptly went silent and hung up the phone.  

Oh my goodness!  We realized we had been Scammed... almost... by False Civil Authority!!  

By finally questioning this "officer" about his true AUTHORITY, we found out not only did he have NONE, but he had been impersonating a Civil Authority.  His police authority-like tone and police acronym vocabulary along with the sounds of a beeping scanner/radio in the background took us in long enough to listen to his persuasive scheme.  He lured us into an illusion.  He "hood-winked" us for nearly 30 minutes. Perhaps the bait was the fear of possibly going to jail.  The Cunning Impression created by deceit, fear, made-up evidence, false police authority and tactics almost led us astray from the Truth and into being robbed of probably more than $500.  There never really was a summons to me.  There was no such certified mail or signature. Police don't have you pay on a card from the chain drugstores. (But you probably already knew that.) Nor do they call you over the telephone to notify you that they are going to apprehend you.  We confirmed  the things they claimed were false by checking known sources of TRUE Police who possess TRUE Civil Authority.  

I believe God had some GOOD purpose in mind to allow this strange and confusing intrusion in our lives, and now feel confident he wanted me to relate and compare it to FALSE Spiritual Authority.  

I believe he wants to ask you:  Have you been scammed by False Spiritual Authority?

Be back to look at some similarities...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:34:20 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:20:40 pm »

Janet, I'm looking forward to reading your similarities.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this, the "missed jury duty" scam is actually pretty common. Another common scam is a call from IRS impersonators. This scam is so sophisticated that it even shows a valid IRS phone number on CallerID. Not to mention all those emails that tell us to verify our account details on credit cards or PayPal accounts. Ah, yes, our earthly treasures are a constant target for thieves and moths... we were warned about that!

But spiritual scamming is the worst of all. It can ruin our lives, family relationships, friendships, goals, dreams, and even our usefulness to the Kingdom. GC is not the only scam I regret falling for. Those legalistic, graceless childrearing gurus of the 80's and 90's were even worse. The Ezzos and their "first time obedience, spank until the child's will is broken" advice come to mind. I wish I had never heard of them.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:21 am »

I'm not trying to hijack your topic, Janet, but I hope you'll allow me to point out something interesting I just came across.

In my previous post, I mentioned the Ezzos ("Growing Kids God's Way") as additional examples of false teachers. I just came across an interesting parallel between the Ezzos and GC.

Quote from: Ezzo.info
Gary Ezzo continually demands that people who are critical of him go through a Matthew 18 process...Many individuals have attempted to go through the Matthew 18 process with Gary-even though this does not apply to public leaders whose materials are widely distributed. Yet, in the interest of going the extra mile, pastors, elders, critics, and friends have attempted this process.

What does apply to Gary Ezzo and other rebellious Christian leaders and false teachers is 1 Timothy 5:19-20, which states: "Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning." In short, Gary Ezzo is to be rebuked publicly.

Gary Ezzo uses reconciliation meetings as a way of confusing his critics and avoiding true accountability. In mid-1995, for example, Ezzo met with the elders at John MacArthur's Grace Community Church.... Ezzo assured the elders that he was going to rectify their concerns. Instead, he  began a quiet campaign against those who had raised concerns...

The behavior sounds eerily familiar.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:24:11 am »

Huldah,

That's the purpose of this website - so go for it!

Very interesting.  Important point that bears highlighting.  Twisting scripture for one's own gain and to SUPPRESS OTHERS.  Certainly not wisdom from above -

Like Other Imposters we know, quoting and bragging scripture, but above it themselves.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:52:32 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »

Have You Been SCAMMED By False Spiritual Authority?

Looking at Similarities

Two key similarities jump out at me in this comparison of False Civil Authority to False Spiritual Authority. They are the Messenger and the Message, or the Authority and the Proclamation. We've heard the truth that one's authority is only as good as the one who sent him.

In the Jury Scam case, the proclaimers or messengers are only operating from their own illusion. There is NO civil authority directing or sending them.  In fact, they are acting in the dark, (hiding themselves from this very authority) so they will not be caught impersonating it. For instance, when my husband offered to go to a close State Police Barracks to verify their claim, they strongly advised us not to, warning I would suffer the consequences of being arrested on site. Thus, if we checked with others with known authority (outside their recommendation) there could be imminent harm to us. During the lengthy conversation, the threat that this danger could happen was the hook that kept us listening - that I would NOT BE in good standing with that real authority.

"SEE, darkness covers the earth & THICK darkness is over the peoples"
(Isaiah 60:2)

'detestable - what they are doing in the darkness'
(Ezekiel's Judgement on Israel's False Prophets)

False Spiritual Authorities also operate in the dark. They warn others not to check with those outside their group, especially with hundreds upon hundreds who have (first hand) REAL KNOWLEDGE OF THEM. They are URGENTLY warned to avoid them (kind of like we were with the State Police). [I want to emphasize here that most Christians do not want to speak out against a christian group they once belonged to UNLESS it concerns the safety of other believers' faith and their general well-being.]

False Spiritual Teachers also use "hooks" just as these False Civil "Teachers" did. They will scare their people into believing a "false" danger is imminent unless they obey their orders. They threaten them that they will not be in good standing with God if they don't follow their instructions.  For instance, telling them that if they "disobey" the elders or leave the group they will be displeasing to Almighty God. They threaten that they will have made an eternal blunder and suffer much loss of eternal reward, or even eternal salvation. So, to the listener, staying seems the only safe option to their brainwashed conscience.  

"Among my people are the wicked who lie in wait
like men who snare birds and
like those who set traps to catch people."

Jeremiah 5:26

When my husband and I questioned these so-called 'police' about the certainty of their proclamation, they spoke in their 'official' firm 'police' tone that they were just carrying out what they had been told by those above. Then the officer read to us some legal jargon from articles such and such (which of course we weren't familiar with). All pointing back to the supposed "authority" from which they were acting. They were masters at pretending. These FALSE Civil Authorities manipulated us to nearly follow their orders (and be recipient of some very bad results) until we queried longer and found a hole in their identity. By checking (with known real sources) into what they told us, we confirmed the Falsifying of their Identity, Authority and Proclamation.

This is similar to how False Spiritual Authorities uphold their disguise. Unfortunately, it's much more prevalent than Police Imposters.  All you seem to need is to carry a bible, quote a few scriptures, have a following of a few believers that are relatively young in their faith, sound especially authoritarian and confident in "teaching the bible", be very persuasive, have an unquenchable thirst for importance and ungodly power, instill manipulative false fear, and a conscience that doesn't object to greed, harshness, and brutality. You can further empower a Spiritual Wolf by simply acting as a non-challenging imposter (a "yes-man") embracing his "doctrinal revelation" and teaching it to others also (though it doesn't benefit you one little bit).

"They want to be known as teachers of the law of Moses, but they don't know what they are talking about, even though they speak so confidently."

1Tim. 1:7

Like These False Civil Authorities, False Spiritual Leaders have NO REAL AUTHORITY either. They have not been appointed or sent, nor carry a message from above (as they claim). God has not sent them, nor given them their message. They speak from their own imagination (and a little bit of scripture). Like False Civil Authority, the known real sources of knowledge do not back up their "strange/special" claims.

"They say "The Lord declares" when The Lord has not sent them..."
Ezekiel 13

For instance, nowhere in the bible does it teach to commit to NEVER LEAVE (to stay for life in) a particular group (church,etc.) of believers. It only states that about the marriage vow. I have never heard of any healthy church pastors proclaiming that nor would I expect to. But don't go by my word, ask someone OUTSIDE this group who possesses some real biblical spiritual power and authority.

'Prophesy against the (false) prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination'
(Ezekiel 13:2)

Like False Civil Authorities, False Spiritual Authorities are rebellious to the law themselves, breaking it in order to carry out their deceptive schemes.

"...you have not followed my decrees or kept my laws but have conformed to the..."
 (Ezekiel)

"anyone who teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ"
(1 Tim. 6:3)

"Certain men not to teach strange doctrines (deviating from the truth)..."
 (1Tim. 1:30)

Both these slick and crafty false authorities cause you to doubt yourself (what you thought to be true), especially your right standing with that REAL authority. They persuade you that you have a serious problem, that you are possibly in much danger. And they both have just the right solution to your "false" dilemma.  All you have to do is obey their orders from above. Unfortunately, following their "right" proclamation will bring your life unwanted loss and even destruction.

'you put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you, takes advantage of you, pushes himself forward, abuses (slaps you in the face)'
(2 Cor. 11:18)

Enough to examine for now  - - -
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:51:07 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:55 pm »

Excellent points about the similarities, Janet.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 09:41:26 pm »

The following appeared on a very helpful site for Spiritual Abuse called “Under Much Grace”.  Some on here are more familiar with this site than I am.  In light of the question recently posed about McCotter’s doctrine, I feel it is particularly important to copy this site’s page here.  The first author and expert spoken of here was a former member of GCx, and as a result of his encounter with a Spiritual Abuser there, founded the first accredited treatment center for people leaving cultic and abusive groups.  I have highlighted certain portions here for the pertinence to this question of doctrine as it relates to identity of a Spiritual Abuser.

Considering the Biblical Model of Examining Behavior
 to Identify a Spiritual Abuser

Dr. Paul Martin presented a workshop at the Evangelical Ministries to New Religions Conference on March 7, 2008 discussing why Christians should understand the dynamics of spiritual abuse.  (Dr. Martin was a former member of the cultic Great Commission, and after leaving, became one of the most respected psychologists in the study of cults but also in the area of Christian counter cult apologetics.  He also founded the first accredited inpatient treatment center for people who have exited cults and abusive relationships, the Wellspring Retreat and Resource Center in Albany, OH.)  Along with impressive research concerning abusive religious groups that he presented at his workshop, Why Evangelicals Should Believe in Thought Reform (“Brainwashing”),”Dr. Martin also included some interesting information about what the Bible has to say about false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing.

Today, in counter cult apologetics, the Christian Discipline of effectively articulating reasons for believing in the Christian faith, when it comes to identifying aberrant groups or cultic Christianity, most of the leaders teach that behavior and works are off limits. The focus primarily on identifying doctrine only, and it's not seen as proper to examine behaviors unless they are tied directly to false or questionable doctrine. As Paul Martin pointed out, the Bible teaches the Believer to identify problems with behaviors, not with doctrine. As the Apostle Paul stated about himself, and as the Book of James attests, the real test of what doctrine a minister follows (their faith) is notable not so much by what he says but is demonstrated by their conduct.

According to Paul Martin's analysis, the 210 verses found in the Bible that refer to false prophets, priests, elders and Pharisees deal with the following:

99 verses (47%) concern Behavior
66 verses (31%) concern Fruit
24 verses (12%) concern Motives
21 verses (only 10%) concern Doctrine

Only 10% of those verses concern doctrine!

According to the Scriptures, we should be very concerned with both the behaviors and the fruit of spiritual leadership in the church and in parachurch organizations
. This is not gossip or mean-spirited critical abuse but what Scripture actually teaches us to observe.

The Necessity for Two Types of Fruit: Doctrine and Living Out that Doctrine

This information goes hand in hand with what Dr. Walter Martin, the author of The Kingdom of the Cults and one of the first and foremost counter cult apologists, once preached at Lee University in the late seventies. He taught that the Believer must have two types of fruit in their lives to be truly effective.

From Walter Martin in "Rise of the Cults," a 1979 lecture at Lee College Chapel:

You will be able to identify them by their fruits. . .
Be careful, there are two kinds of fruit:
there is the fruit of the life lived, and
the fruit of the doctrine taught.

The Pharisees taught purity of doctrine, but Jesus said that they were whitewashed sepluchres. If you have pure doctrine and a corrupt life, you are condemned for it. If you have a pure life and a corrupt doctrine, you are condemned for it. . .

Because salvation does not come from the efforts of purity but by the gift of God. . .

But according to Christ, it is possible to look, act and sound like a believer and not be one. .

4 things that they do (deceiving even the elect):

1. They can say “Lord,” but they don’t mean “Savior.”
2. They can say that they speak for God and are prophesying in His Name.
3. They can even use the Name of Jesus to cast out demons.
4. They can use the Name of Jesus to work miracles.

And their sin is, having used the Name of Christ for their own purposes, they themselves have not believed

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:15:19 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 10:52:18 pm »

Here is the video of the workshop, “Why Evangelicals Should Believe in Mind-Control”, given by expert himself, Paul Martin.  I have to tell you even after all these years (30 for myself) of being out of GCx, something gasped inside me as I read the definition of Thought Reform projected on the wall at the start of this workshop.  I found it TOO EERILY FAMILIAR to my soul.  I think I need God’s help just to process this anew.  So, if you are newly out of GCx, don’t be surprised if it seems TOO Shocking TO TAKE IN.  You aren’t alone.  It is a lot to process.  

I personally recommend a very good Christian counselor, or a group of close friends outside GCx where you feel safe to express yourself.  I needed both thirty years ago after I left.  In fact, I ended up needing 30 consecutive and continual days of counseling at a Christian Treatment Center about 5 months after I left.  I will pray for those who are still trying to process all this.  You hopefully will find the testimonies on this site encouraging as you understand better you are in a pretty large group of survivors of spiritual abuse in the Churches of GCx.  There are MANY who just read here, but don’t write.

I should note, some people didn’t know they were perpetuating such a thought reform system though they probably sensed something was wrong.  They were not really listening to the Holy Spirit.  But, there was at least one who I believe knew he was in very sinful manipulation and control.  This wolf had such an insatiable appetite for power and domination that even the ruination of others didn’t stop him.  The Bible does call such a person Evil.  I do believe there are others who are to be held accountable.  Those who claimed to follow Christ, impart his word faithfully, and protect his sheep.  They were either blind or rebellious leaders who have essentially denied and participated in hiding his/their abuse.  This has caused greater pain and grief for those who were so incidiously wounded.

This is the link to the very workshop.

https://vimeo.com/439682769

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:29:35 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 10:01:33 am »

Interesting video. Thanks for the link.

I've only watched the first half so far. One question I had while watching is the difference between involuntary brainwashing, such as might be done to prisoners of war, and voluntary brainwashing, such as signing up for a cult or a political movement because you really think you've discovered something positive. It would be interesting to know which type is more effective and more resistant to reversal.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:41:06 am by Huldah » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 08:17:54 pm »

The following is a portion of a good description of False Teachers from Bible Gateway. The descriptions here seemed very much to apply to the delivery and teaching of the essential founder of GCx Churches, Jim McCotter; and seemed to most unfortunately be passed down to men he discipled.

The False Teachers

As Paul's analysis of the situation continues, he uses language that expresses regret and irony to describe these disguised "wolves." There is more to false teachers than false doctrine.

First, they have lost their spiritual bearings. They have wandered (v. 6)--an image of slow but steady movement away from some point. Perhaps in the beginning these teachers only drifted aimlessly. But as they hardened in their disbelief and became argumentative in their attempts to convince others of their views, their lives came to be characterized not by love but by controversy, impure hearts and ineffective consciences. They have wandered from the faith.

Second, they speak and teach foolishness (v. 6). Having left the faith and diverged from the standard of approved teaching, their doctrines and discussions are meaningless talk, devoid of truth (6:4-5). In choosing the word he does, Paul places their doctrine into the category of idolatry and paganism (compare Acts 14:15; 1 Pet 1:18).

Third, verse 7 reveals that they claim authority for their teaching. Teachers of the law, a title given to the rabbis (Lk 5:17; Acts 5:34), were regarded as the authoritative interpreters of Scripture. These enthusiasts were not interested in simply offering their ideas for consideration. Rather, they "taught" them as God's message and expected them to be received.

Finally, Paul's description of their "confidence" implies in this context stubbornness, a refusal to be denied. We might say they are dogmatic, which (along with the claim to authority) Paul regards with irony, since they have no real understanding of the matters they teach. Error, the claim to authority and dogmatic insecurity make a deadly combination to be sure, especially if these heretics began from positions of leadership in the church, as may well have been the case.

These characteristics make a timeless portrait of the false teacher. Doctrinal subtleties, special interpretation, spurious claims to authority, controversy and dogmatism ought to make God's people suspicious.  ...

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/IVP-NT/1Tim/False-Teachers
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:20:25 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 01:43:07 pm »

X
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 03:25:54 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 11:05:42 am »

SCAMMED By False Spiritual Authority

The Way, The Truth, and The Life

GCx outrightly claimed to know and practice THE only real biblical WAY to follow Christ in it’s first couple of decades. Then, in the next three decades it publically softened that claim while still privately grasping it among many of the old guard which was apparent in many of their teachings.

THE TRUTH seemed to remain a sole possession of most of the “elders” as they continued to reject any correction or rebuke from The Word by spiritually discerning members (including some leaders). This site confirms this into the 2010’s by members testimonies about approaching it’s leadership with error in its counsel and teachings, and especially it’s shunning and slandering innocent members.

THE (abundant) LIFE has often been sadly misrepresented by GCx and even faked by those in charge as they sought and still seek to attract new members. An outward show and much public relation effort has been made to “paint” a life dedicated to GCx will be one of no regrets. Ha! Just read the excerpts from many a member. They very much regret their “submission” to an idolatrous GCx leadership.

Very sadly, GCx Churches shared a very unhealthy and erroneous “Way”, “Truth”, and “Life.” It makes me profoundly sad they drew us in with these claims and promises. Though the Jesus many believed on is very much all these things, they set His rule aside for theirs and wrecked many lives spiritually, emotionally, socially, mentally, and professionally.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.
I have come that they may have life, and have it in all its fullness.

John 10:10

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 11:58:34 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 09:55:57 am »

O LORD, our God, other lords besides you
have ruled over us,
but your name ALONE do we honor.

Isaiah 26:13

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:59:23 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 09:34:49 pm »

The verse above fits into what I heard today in Dr. Diane Langberg’s talk on Power, Deception, and the Church. She has been blessed with a gift to understand and explain profound truths with simplicity. The more I listen to her the more I admire her and am ministered to. Her words open our eyes about the “workings” of abusive power in the Church. She unwraps the deceptive packaging of leaders that attack and injure the sheep.

One thing she says (about a third of the way in) is that “knowledge” can be perceived as power, especially Theological knowledge. She says, “It is assumed they have the right to tell us about God.” She explains we believe a Pastor is speaking for God, which he may also outrightly tell us; but he may be ‘without the character and integrity’ which God requires for a such a representative. To which many of us former GCx victims might reply - “B I N G O !!” - except they were even missing the Theological Knowledge.

As Huldah, Linda, and others have pointed out on here - GCx Leaders we’re sorely lacking in Theological knowledge  - as most all the leaders hadn’t even attended Bible College, much less seminary! What a ridiculous state of affairs we were in, and hadn’t a clue because we were emotionally and verbally persuaded with lies. We feared checking out their knowledge and real power with outside sources because they threatened we’d be in dangerous sin and severely disciplined by God himself. That, my friend, is the evil of SPIRITUAL ABUSE.

I hope you are also informed and blessed as you hear what all Dr. Langberg unpacks about Deceptive Power in the Church.

Power, Deception, and the Church - Diane Langberg

https://youtu.be/ncii2Hf3ouQ

« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 07:00:39 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 05:57:30 pm »

Profound Wisdom from Diane Langberg on

Power, Deception and the Church

Among many other positions Dr. Langberg holds, she is Chair of the Executive Board of the American Association of Christian Counselors. According to Audible.com she is globally recognized for her 47 years of work with Trauma Victims; and has trained caregivers on six continents in responding to trauma and to the abuse of power.

There are so many gems that Dr. Langberg sagely explains in her talks. I wanted to share just a few more from the talk I referenced on link above. I have tried to translate what she says, but check the link to be certain.

We allow ourselves to be deceived by the deceiver because we want what they promised. We are vulnerable, hungry, given hope and we follow one we assume to be good, but who is instead a prowling wolf.

Christendom is a system established in God’s name and that system has the power to seduce us away from God himself; so that we act to protect our institutions through disobedience to God.

We even use the words of God to camouflage those sins, and I fear many of us today have confused Christendom with Christ. They are not the same. They have never been the same.

We defend leaders and organizations and pulpits who feed on the lambs.

- Diane Langberg

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 05:55:00 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 04:59:22 pm »

Ungodly Leaders

A godly “pastor’s task is to help the members discover, develop, and deploy their gifts,
 and to let them serve at Jesus’ command.”

- Adrian Rogers

“There is only one who has ever lived the Christian life—and that is Jesus. It will be lived anew and afresh when we let him manifest his person through his body the church. ... The body is to be the servant of the one who inhabits that body. ... The church can do nothing apart from the power—the Kingdom Authority—of the Holy Spirit. ... God gives divinely appointed and anointed pastors to lead his church. ... The Holy Spirit of God is the one who makes the pastor the overseer.”

“...the pastor is not a dictator. ... I serve at the pleasure of my congregation. The only leadership I have is what they allow me to have. They may dismiss me whenever they choose.” ... Luke 22:25-27 “ought to make it clear that the pastor is not a boss or a dictator. God’s sheep are not to be driven or herded but led by a loving shepherd.”

Scripture teaches us to “follow and respect godly leadership...” Rogers goes on to say leaders are to be mature in the faith, honest and practice “honest reports”, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom.

He speaks of the responsibility and duty of the congregation to openly rebuke the leader/s if there are grievous charges against the pastor that are proven. The matter should be brought before the entire assembly. “The pastor is accountable to the congregation in which he serves. While a pastor is to lead, he is not a law unto himself.”

Woe be to any pastor who has such sense of his self-importance that he becomes authoritarian and fails to listen and to learn.”

(All quoted content above came from Adrian Roger’s book, “The Incredible Power of Kingdom Authority.”)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 06:22:13 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2022, 07:59:18 pm »

“Super Apostles”

Exposing False Spiritual Authority

As I was reading this article on Cultwatch.org I wondered for a minute if the spiritually abusive “Super Apostles” they were referring to were GCx [GCC, GCAC, CCN, GCI, GC and some Reliant Mission] Churches since there were significant similarities. However, there does seem to be the difference, at least in word, of GCx not teaching “hyper prosperity.” Here are important excerpts from their article, “Super Apostles” that reveal the sad similarities.

“Our research has confirmed that certain Christian Pastors have turned to Mind Control as a technique for growing their church. We have copies of their tapes, sermons, seminars, courses, and other documentation, that provide solid evidence of their deliberate employment of Mind Control... Unfortunately these Pastors have done significant damage to individual Christians.“

“From what we can tell these “Super Apostles” aim to build a fiefdom (a medieval feudal estate) of churches with themselves as the lords, second only to God himself (the King). What these self-proclaimed apostles lack in solid Biblical Doctrine they make up with cultic Mind Control techniques (also known as spiritual abuse)...”

… “However these Super Apostles do not follow Paul’s example. They are rigorous self-promoters who see power and wealth as important goals. They demand that you cede (to yield typically by treaty) to their authority. Church members must sign “covenants” stating that they will obey the church leadership. Church leaders themselves must “submit” their lives to the Super Apostles. To not submit is to rebel against God’s will and condemn you to a barren Christian life outside the protection of the Super Apostles magical “umbrella of authority”. For those who do not yield it is claimed God will leave them to fend for themselves when the enemy comes. Also rebels will suffer a life of physical poverty, not to mention terrible accidents and diseases. To reject the Super Apostles themselves is the greatest sin. Do not even suggest that they are wrong; the spiritual repercussions could be horrendous!“

(Emphasis mine)

Sound familiar?   Didn’t Jim McCotter and his successors act as a “Super-Apostles” who harshly treated and “spiritually” threatened anyone who questioned their authority?

(All quoted content is from the link below)
Attack of the Super Apostles
https://www.cultwatch.com/superapostles.html

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:59:37 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: