Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:42:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh those glorious good old days!  (Read 5171 times)
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: January 06, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »

http://antiochproject.com/daylights/default.aspx?date=06-22-2008

Yet another glorification of the past... written by a former apostle!

Glad to be free.
EverAStudent
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:54:56 pm »

Sister Agatha, the following does not directly apply to the article you referenced, but it was inspired by the subject line of your post:

There is NO such thing as "the good old days," not the good old days of GCx, not the good old days period.

For oppression makes a wise man mad, And a bribe corrupts the heart. The end of a matter is better than its beginning; Patience of spirit is better than haughtiness of spirit. Do not be eager in your heart to be angry, For anger resides in the bosom of fools. Do not say, "Why is it that the former days were better than these?" For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this. (Ecclesiastes 7:7-10)
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:41:40 pm »

This is so true and I have realized it more and more as I grow older. Humans idealize the past, remembering things as better than they were, often forgetting or minimizing the bad. Something I like to remind myself whenever I get too nostalgic for something that in 10 years I will probably feel just as nostalgic for some aspects of my current circumstances even though right now I have a fully realistic opinion of both the good and bad of my present situation - and it may not seem that great.

Nostalgia/good-old-days-mentality can also be a hard thing for someone who has left an abusive group. As you heal you may look back and start remembering the friendships you used to have - forgetting the abuse and the control and the utilitarian attitudes and the errant theology and so on. Emotions and memory are an interesting thing.
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:18:53 pm »

I used to long for those glorious old days until I recall the continual reproofs, my lack of freedom (couldn't do anything without getting elders counsel), my depression that I struggled with (and haven't since I left this church) and my eating disorder I think I developed from the stress of the Church and difficult relationships based on what I was doing rather than who I was.  This made my self image plummet because I never could do enough for God according to the Church's leadership and teaching.

I'm Glad to be OUT and FREE!!!  Freedom is a wonderful thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: