Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:03:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REVISITING McCotter HISTORY: Opening A Blind Eye  (Read 30573 times)
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2021, 10:07:09 am »

Thank you for the link, Janet. This is indeed what a cult leader is like behind the facade. Of course, these aren't necessarily the traits that the cult recruit will notice at first! Usually, "superficial charm" is the first trait a cult recruit will encounter. The recruit is drawn in by the welcome, the apparent generosity and concern, the feeling that, "This leader (or group), understands me, and values me; this is I've always longed for!"

Then, as time goes by, the recruit comes to feel less and less valued, more and more under pressure and condemnation.

A couple of other traits from the article:

"Doesn’t seem to feel guilty for anything he has done wrong nor does he apologize for his actions." Maybe this is coincidental, but in one of our Solid Rock teaching sessions, the teacher mentioned that Paul didn't go around apologizing to the Christians he had harmed before his conversion. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it strikes me that the stage was being set for the leadership of the church not to take responsibility for any harm they caused. The Weaknesses Paper doesn't count, because even though it technically contained an apology, it had a lot more to do with making excuses ("our youthful zeal") and more or less patting themselves on the back for their own efforts.

"Uses enforcers or sycophants to ensure compliance from members or believers." This happened at Solid Rock. It continues to happen in this forum occasionally, when supporters of GC and/or McCotter join this forum, seemingly for no other purpose than to defend the leadership and harass or discredit the critics. It's not enough that we left the movement so long ago, and that we confine our activities to this one small forum that does no advertising or recruiting; some of them just can't seem to let us go.
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2021, 10:36:13 am »

To clarify what I was trying to get at in my last reply:

If you're reading this, and you're in a church where you used to feel valued and welcome, but now you feel like something's terribly wrong that you can't quite put your finger on, then don't be afraid to step back and re-evaluate what's happening and whether this is the right church for you. Jesus came to seek and to save what was lost. He did not come to discourage and condemn His own sheep.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2021, 08:44:11 pm »

Yes, I agree, Huldah. The church as a body of believers ministering to each other with their different gifts (in varying ways) is to build you up, not tear you down. It is a place to receive and give genuine love, encouragement and support, not to be used. A place to learn all that you are and possess in Christ, not condescendingly robbed of that power. Somewhere to be reminded often how incredibly precious you are to God, instead of what you need to do to be worthy. Even the action of correction, God says, should be done with a very humble attitude and in a gentle manner.

So, if you are in an environment where you distinctly feel less in value, condescending condemnation, somewhat invisible, only appreciated for your “man-power”, and constantly asked to give more; step back to get a better perspective, like Huldah said. You may want to read some of the books recommended here. A whole new world of Christianity will start opening up.

Here are some links:
http://forum.gcmwarning.com/the-healing-forum/the-book-list/msg10184/#msg10184

http://forum.gcmwarning.com/recommended-reading-and-links/

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:55:46 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: