Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:24:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "BITTER" Lie  (Read 7584 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: July 14, 2015, 11:47:03 am »

The "BITTER" Lie

How many of us speaking openly and honestly about our experience in GCx after leaving were accused of being "bitter"?

The unspoken pact of silence in discussing our feelings and experiences while in GCx is what perpetuates the continuation of abuse there. This site (there are a few others though not exclusive to GCx) seems an open forum set up and promoted by our Heavenly Father, himself; to finally allow a voice to those who were severely spiritually hurt by their experience in this so-called "church" or "christian" organization. Thank God for the starters and maintainers of this safe place to speak out!  I, personally, felt supernaturally led to it at just the right time, as many a person has claimed on here. This is no trivial forum. It is one with a "higher" purpose and seems to be protected by God himself. So, if you have come here, it is no accident or coincidence.

The twisted truth of biblical bitterness to accuse and label the spiritual condition of believing whistle blowers of GCx is rampant among its leaders and falsely taught followers. This false teaching of naming children of God voicing abusive injustices and destructive practices (such as oppression or ungodly submission) in churches or christian organizations as "bitter" or a "bitter root" is actually a TWIST on the truth. It is an act of turning the tables to place guilt on the victim instead of the accused. It is one of the telltale signs of spiritual abuse. It is an ABUSE of authority in attempt to spoil the reputation of the victim so that the authority is not held responsible. The verse often quoted in this labeling is Hebrews 12:15:

Exercise foresight and be on the watch to look [after one another], to see that no one falls back from and fails to secure God’s grace (His unmerited favor and spiritual blessing), in order that no root of resentment (rancor, bitterness, or hatred) shoots forth and causes trouble and bitter torment, and the many become contaminated and defiled by it—.   [AMP]

It's symptom is in the verse before: "Make every effort to live in peace with all men...". It seems the 'Bitter root' scripture is referring to results in stirring up undeserved trouble with others. It seems it is conceived from a lack of living in the GRACE of God.

What's really telling in this truth is that believers can stir up trouble and defile other believers by it. In GCx it seems quite possible from his roughly documented "spiritiual" history in being passed over for leadership in another church, the virtual founder, James D. McCotter's own bitterness grew to actually foolishly accuse every generation of Christian leaders AFTER the first century till McCotter began his ministry, of being misled and unscriptural in following the New Testament as a model for churches (or christian groups). That McCotter had superior revelation on how to follow God with more devotion and accuracy. This is EXACTLY the same accusation the false teachers IN THE NEW TESTAMENT had against the Apostle Paul. Those NT false teachers created animosity and shunning arrogance toward Paul in the precious body of Christ.

Ironically, there WAS a bitter root in GCx. However, it was not with those who would no longer submit to its idolatrous teachings; but from McCotter, himself! His self-righteous passion seemed to arise out of anger and jealousy. He even accused the old masters who painted images of the Apostles of being inspired by the devil, because they were depicted with gray hair and in old age. From a limited peek into his former rejection as a leader in his old church, one of the reasons for his rejection seemed to be his youth. (By the way McCotter was not elected, nor appointed as a christian leader, he was SELF-PROCLAIMED).

The well that shepherds are supposed to draw from to give to their flock is to be pure so that it's sheep will be healthy and strong. Our well in GCx had long been tainted and the waters bitterly poisoned by McCotter so that ultimately many, thousands of sheep (including future leaders) would become weak and sick in their faith. Some even "dead" as to their faith.

So don't believe the LIE [from twisted truth] that you who have doubts and find fault with GCx are bitter. The truth is you have stopped drinking from the bitterly polluted well !!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:47:23 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Hope
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:19:31 pm »

This is one reason, it would be the first thing that I would be called by candlewood. I have been learning who I am since leaving the church. I learned who my friends were and weren't, my faith is stronger, and I can forget what others are saying about me. I left the church after months of praying about leaving and pondering the consequences that would follow after witnessing others who left before me. I knew it was time when my walk with Christ wasn't growing and dealt with trust issues amongst leadership.

I remember they would speak about topics to keep you in your place, keep it inclusive, and to get you to think that it would be slandering. I had a discussion with the pastors at candlewood about justification. The pastors told me that anyone in the church was walking higher than those outside of the church and couldn't do no wrong. I seen that day that they would assume the worst of those who left or were not apart of the church, and they would expect everyone else to have accountability.
OSU Solid Rock
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »

I know of many OSU students in OSU Bible Studies that were encouraged to stop attending the University so that they could tithe and support their home church Elders.  Many of them worked at Paychex for one of the Elders & they talked so bad about that company & corporate America, yet they wanted money from each of us.  Thank God I stayed in school and graduated and followed my career path rather than following the guys in my house who moved to Morgantown to start another home based church.  The irony is if they had bought stock in Paychex back in the late 70's early 80's they would likely have a very nice retirement now.

I hear Jim McCotter is back to creating a new flock via you tube and the sale of his books.  There is the perfect human form of the word hypocracy.  That Man led an elder base of students that governed and made life changing decisions over their peers in the name of the word of God.  They preached the word, yet came between students/ churchmembers and their parents.  "Honor thy Father and Mother ring any bells?"  They drove members out of the church and shunned them for personal issues - they made public many private confidences in the name of group prayer.  I remember one guy named Rich whose family literally let 12 guys from the church live in both sides of their family investment property for bargain rent.. he was driven out and disparaged, effectively shunned because of personal issues.  Those actions didn't seem right back then/ and now some 34 years later I am embarrassed that I didn't stand up for myself & others.  You know who you are, & I forgive you but God be with you on judgement day.
pvitartas
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:42:25 am »

Bitterness is part of the issue; i.e, the root of bitterness by which many are defiled.  The other aspect is a smug waiting for God's discipline for we who have left and continue to walk outside God's best will - i.e, a life outside a gcm "church."  

Given the proclivity to spank kids in Solid Rock, the same was extended to those who left - my purported "discipler" would say regarding those who didn't quite knit in - "God's going to give him a spanking."  How disgusting
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:46:19 am by pvitartas » Logged
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:41:32 am »

Just for the record:

If you hear that I am gone, it is not because I was not worthy to belong to a GC church, it is because it was God's time for me to go "home"!!
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:02:48 am »

I heard a chilling story very recently about how Jim McCotter is still creating havoc with the influence he throws around.

It is not my story to tell.

But it sounds like the Jim of old is the same Jim McCotter who instigated this whole movement, kind of like a Joseph Smith who had those visions and started the Mormon Church.

The fruit is not good at all, wasn't then, and isn't now.

Look at the experience of OSU a few posts back on this thread!!
Wingless_Butterfly
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 03:36:10 pm »

I just wanted to hop on here to shed some light on that verse, and how horribly it's been twisted and maneuvered to further abuse. I learned this through reading "Untwisted Scriptures" - I highly recommend that book. It does a way better job at explaining than I currently can.

In a nutshell, Hebrews 12:15 has nothing to do with resentment. It isn't referring to a state of heart. The author is referring to the OT.

"Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the Lord our God to go and serve the gods of those nations. Beware lest there be among you a root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit..." Deuteronomy 29:18.

The "root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit" is unbelieving people or people who are turning away from the Lord. Not people who are "not forgiving" or "resentful." Also important to note: this letter is written to an entire church, not to an individual.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:45:10 pm by Wingless_Butterfly » Logged
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:49:53 pm »

I also recommend this book!  I have done work on Ruth after reading that book and noticed the text does not condemn Naomi for feeling bitter, since many bitter things happened to her.  It seems to be used in the bible more the describe the state of events or the pain of grief rather than the state of an unforgiving heart. 

I just wanted to hop on here to shed some light on that verse, and how horribly it's been twisted and maneuvered to further abuse. I learned this through reading "Untwisted Scriptures" - I highly recommend that book. It does a way better job at explaining than I currently can.

PietWowo
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 09:54:00 pm »

The "BITTER" Lie

How many of us speaking openly and honestly about our experience in GCx after leaving were accused of being "bitter"?

The unspoken pact of silence in discussing our feelings and experiences while in GCx is what perpetuates the continuation of abuse there. This site (there are a few others though not exclusive to GCx) seems an open forum set up and promoted by our Heavenly Father, himself; to finally allow a voice to those who were severely spiritually hurt by their experience in this so-called "church" or "christian" organization. Thank God for the starters and maintainers of this safe place to speak out!  I, personally, felt supernaturally led to it at just the right time, as many a person has claimed on here. This is no trivial forum. It is one with a "higher" purpose and seems to be protected by God himself. So, if you have come here, it is no accident or coincidence.

The twisted truth of biblical bitterness to accuse and label the spiritual condition of believing whistle blowers of GCx is rampant among its leaders and falsely taught followers. This false teaching of naming children of God voicing abusive injustices and destructive practices (such as oppression or ungodly submission) in churches or christian organizations as "bitter" or a "bitter root" is actually a TWIST on the truth. It is an act of turning the tables to place guilt on the victim instead of the accused. It is one of the telltale signs of spiritual abuse. It is an ABUSE of authority in attempt to spoil the reputation of the victim so that the authority is not held responsible. The verse often quoted in this labeling is Hebrews 12:15:

Exercise foresight and be on the watch to look [after one another], to see that no one falls back from and fails to secure God’s grace (His unmerited favor and spiritual blessing), in order that no root of resentment (rancor, bitterness, or hatred) shoots forth and causes trouble and bitter torment, and the many become contaminated and defiled by it—.   [AMP]

It's symptom is in the verse before: "Make every effort to live in peace with all men...". It seems the 'Bitter root' scripture is referring to results in stirring up undeserved trouble with others. It seems it is conceived from a lack of living in the GRACE of God.

What's really telling in this truth is that believers can stir up trouble and defile other believers by it. In GCx it seems quite possible from his roughly documented "spiritiual" history in being passed over for leadership in another church, the virtual founder, James D. McCotter's own bitterness grew to actually foolishly accuse every generation of Christian leaders AFTER the first century till McCotter began his ministry, of being misled and unscriptural in following the New Testament as a model for churches (or christian groups). That McCotter had superior revelation on how to follow God with more devotion and accuracy. This is EXACTLY the same accusation the false teachers IN THE NEW TESTAMENT had against the Apostle Paul. Those NT false teachers created animosity and shunning arrogance toward Paul in the precious body of Christ.

Ironically, there WAS a bitter root in GCx. However, it was not with those who would no longer submit to its idolatrous teachings; but from McCotter, himself! His self-righteous passion seemed to arise out of anger and jealousy. He even accused the old masters who painted images of the Apostles of being inspired by the devil, because they were depicted with gray hair and in old age. From a limited peek into his former rejection as a leader in his old church, one of the reasons for his rejection seemed to be his youth. (By the way McCotter was not elected, nor appointed as a christian leader, he was SELF-PROCLAIMED).

The well that shepherds are supposed to draw from to give to their flock is to be pure so that it's sheep will be healthy and strong. Our well in GCx had long been tainted and the waters bitterly poisoned by McCotter so that ultimately many, thousands of sheep (including future leaders) would become weak and sick in their faith. Some even "dead" as to their faith.

So don't believe the LIE [from twisted truth] that you who have doubts and find fault with GCx are bitter. The truth is you have stopped drinking from the bitterly polluted well !!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the paintings of the disciples with them being old men with beards were satanic, but there is a strong argument that the disciples were less then 20 years old, outside of Peter.

For one, only Peter and Jesus had to pay the temple tax, which is 1/2 shekel per year. That shows that Peter was at least 20 years old. The others didn't. It was common for young disciples to start discipleship after Bet Midrash, which was at age of 15. Most of these disciples (TALMIDIM in Hebrew) were about high school age.

When Christ said in Matt. 10:42: "Anyone, who gives a cup of water to one of these little ones, who is my disciple..." He was referring to the 12. Notice He called them "little ones."

I've seen teenagers do amazing things for the Lord.

I think the point that Jim was making was that he was talking to college students and for them not to wait to be like Jesus till they are old. They were cut from the same rock and David, Esther, Jacob, Abraham came from Isa. 51. So, sometimes those paintings can cause someone to say that they can never be like that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: