Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:25:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncovering the Mystery of GCX Introduction  (Read 2862 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: December 30, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »

Uncovering the MYSTERY of GCx

Introduction

My pastor commented once about how difficult it is to grasp all that is going on in false teaching.  Perhaps because it is done in "substitute" churches and does involve believers.

A few days ago on our way home from our Christmas in the midwest I had been and kept asking God (silently, of course) for something more to be revealed in this foggy mess of false teaching that was present and still is (according to much evidence on this site) in GCx.  There was a BIG piece still missing - something that would make all the other pieces revealed more clear and complete.  Nothing came.  A little impatient and disappointed when we stopped mid way at our hotel, I accepted that God would give it in his own good time.  But I by his GRACE still believed him for it.  

That night my husband and I watched a PBS NOVA show entitled, The Quest for Solomon's Mines, where they dug for clues in the Valley of the Dead Sea (if that is correct) and archaeologists studied the finds.  Only mineral pieces here and there were found, but nothing leading to confirm their quest, until the find of a piece of broken pottery.  After examining it and highlighting the text they saw that it had Cannaanite writing of distinctive Hebrew words.  I waited for them to reveal these Hebrew words.  Though not all deciphered, the first two were clearly "Don't Do" and "Worship" followed later by another word which was something like "King".  Perhaps, I thought they might be "Do Not Worship any other king or god" since the Hebrews living among the Canaanites were warned by God NOT to serve or worship other idols like they commonly did.  Pondering that I looked up one of God's warnings in Deuteronomy 13:6.  

It says: "If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love secretly entices you,
  saying, Let us go and worship other gods…do not yield to him or listen to him.”

I thought - it didn't say if a pagan entices you, it said a Hebrew brother - one of God's own people.  Perhaps because you would be especially unsuspecting of a brother.  Perhaps a subtle way to get caught up in it.  The Hebrew word for entices there is suth.  Now I am no Hebrew or Greek scholar, and only occassionally look up stuff in the Lexicon. (Bibleapps online is great!) It said it means: to incite, allure, instigate.  If it doesn't bore you too much these are the NASB Translation words are:  diverted (1), entice (2), enticed (1), incited (3), inciting (1), induced (1), mislead (2), misleading (1), misleads (1), misled (1), moved (1), persuaded (2), stirred (1).  STRONG'S has:  entice, move, persuade, provoke, remove, set on, stir up, take away.  Now, I am in quite unfamiliar waters using all these references and someone more knowledgeable could do a MUCH better job, but until they do I am going to attempt explaining what I saw.  

These references also said "Perhaps denominative from shayith; properly, to prick, i.e. (figuratively) stimulate; by implication, to seduce -- entice, move, persuade, provoke, remove, set on, stir up, take away."  (Underlining and bolding mine)  The Lexicon says this word is thornbushes or in short thorns.  Woa!  That is quite reminiscent of the New Testament fruit or actions of false teachers (Acts).  Many of those same words are used in the New Testament to describe the actions of false teachers - seduce, persuade, remove (from Christ).  One reference said "briers (as if put on the field)".  Hmm...does that mean like a trap?  So they can't escape.  BROWN-DRIVER-BRIGGS says, of this Hebrew word suth, "2. instigate, in bad sense, with accusative of person, + בְּ against, 1 Samuel 26:19; 2 Samuel 24:1; Jeremiah 43:3; Job 2:3; with accusative of person alone 1 Kings 21:25; 2 Kings 18:32 = Isaiah 36:18, compare.  

So it seems from these that the way the people of God would be persuaded to worship or serve these idols probably wouldn't have been "Hey, you want to go down that defiled temple where all the corrupt people are and put our children in the fire along with them?"  Instead, perhaps they were much more likely seduced by accusations and implications against godly sound teachers of God's law, continually hearing comparisons against them, perhaps even accusative comparisons with God himself, like "Things just aren't going the way we expected with these leaders (i.e. Moses), and even our prayers don't seem to be answered anymore.  That rich pagan idol worshiper seems to be doing better than we are, maybe even getting results from his idol offerings, let's go down there."  

To me, God dropped my jaw.  He showed me how false teaching produces idolatry through this and some more research which I will share in a near future post.  Summary, I believe the bible declares that believers can get caught up in idolatry through becoming captured by false teaching.

Does this resonate with anyone?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:37:09 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:18:35 pm »

A Vain Labor

While listening to some fine believers discussing Abraham and Sarah’s plans “to be fruitful” in their own strength resulting in Ishmael and serious family discord; they talked about their own experiences of building things that God was not IN. Then one quoted this verse:

Unless the LORD builds a house,
the work of the builders is wasted.
Unless the LORD protects a city,
guarding it with sentries will do no good.

Psalm 127:1

Oh, I remember this verse… It was quoted to us with the threat that we would waste our life if we spent it outside GCx where “they were REALLY DOING the work of God.” It was implied over and over how much more pleased God would be with us if we “labored in their supposed God-inspired plans.” In fact, we were strongly persuaded our life was “guaranteed” not to be wasted there.

Once again, the deceitful twist with scripture of even thinking about pursuing other things outside GCx would risk great spiritual loss. So many of their twisted scriptures POINTED to a danger ELSEWHERE —while all the while THEY were the danger and vain labor.

ACTUALLY, the aberrant traditions that made up their wearying and depressing Christian culture were the VERY WASTE we faced in a plan NOT of God. I don’t believe God was IN the GCx “Church” plan that we were manipulated to join and labor in continually and tirelessly. I believe THEY WERE THE HOUSE GOD WAS NOT BUILDING.

Though GCx has split several ways and changed their “church group” names for the umpteenth time, the same people (or their “duped” disciples) are leading too many of God’s precious sheep. I strongly suggest you look into these leaders’ “church history” before you invest your time and money, and eventually your life.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 06:21:19 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:23:29 pm »

Uncovering the Mystery of GCx

See, they are all false!
Their deeds amount to nothing;
their images are but wind and confusion.

Isaiah 41:29

Recently, God has been impressing upon me the passage above; especially the word “see.” It seems this must be revealed through the eyes of the Spirit, not the eyes of man. I believe God wants us to SEE and UNDERSTAND this false teaching we were under made up the IMAGE of GCx. The ideology they taught and fearfully threatened of life-long devotion and unconditional submission to their church and their leaders was IDOLATRY. Replacing Jesus with themselves to whom we should bow and submit was no less than serving an idol. NASB says, “Their cast metal images are wind and emptiness.”

That is why we felt no satisfaction or filling as a result of following them. We felt only increasing emptiness. It seems that is also why the words many of the GCx-loyal leaders still use today are the same old empty idolatrous teachings, same old deceptive ideas, and same old unhealthy co-dependence on man’s approval rather than God. Though Christ was alive in us, we were wrongly persuaded we needed to submit to dead traditions of GCx to follow Him. Those very teachings began to divide us from dependence on Jesus himself and his people at-large. All we were left with was false spiritual pride or condemnation.

Our calling is always to follow Jesus, never to follow men.

Here is an updated re-post of the second part of “Uncovering the Mystery of GCx.”

Blindsided Believers

AudioEnglish.net defines blindside (or blindsided) as “Catch unawares, especially with harmful consequences”

Baker’s Dictionary of Evangelical Biblical Theology quotes Ralph E. Enlow, Jr. saying “spiritual blindness can also afflict believers who fail to perceive their true spiritual condition. To avoid the plague of spiritual blindness and escape the condemnation of leading others into spiritual ruin, believers must be quick to appropriate and obey the Word of God”.

The New Testament says of believers, “For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they will keep you from being useless or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. The person who lacks these things is blind and shortsighted, and has forgotten the cleansing from his past sins.”  (2 Peter 1:8-9 HCSB)

We don’t typically think that believers can be spiritually blind, especially ourselves.  Recently, I was made aware by the Holy Spirit how very prideful, rude and unloving I have been (for years) toward some in my life I should have very much appreciated and treated with humility and tenderness.  God brought about in me a grief and regret over behaviors I was unaware of or blind to until then, that were actually arrogant and hurtful.  I have heard well-known mature christians say the closer they grow to God the more aware they become of things they once thought innocent were actually sinful and hurtful.  The things I believe they are referring to are those of the inner life rather than the outward one.  

There are schemes Satan has to catch us unaware, and seem to be temptations not apparent to man's natural eye.  They don’t appear to be direct disobedience to God’s laws like sexual immorality, murder, stealing, lying or worshipping golden cows.  In fact, to the spiritually young they may even appear good.  When what has actually happened is that the line of attack on us was where our vision was obstructed, where we were NOT at all expecting it, and often crushes us with detrimental results to our faith and well-being.  We got tricked (fooled) because we never even saw it coming, and even more insidious is that we may not even realize that we have been hit or injured.

"you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face"

(2 Corinthians 11:20)

“I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.”

( Acts 20:29)

Don't you SEE what GCx's actual founder and national leader, Jim McCotter, was doing to us and the blind guides he taught.  He drew us in with the cloak of a shepherd speaking with contrived humbleness and artificial gentleness; and then attacked our dignity and standing in Christ with soft yet mutilating words that said we were not good enough, not good enough yet, and accused us of being too proud and immature for real closeness to and true revelation from God Almighty.  

We were not expecting a “bible guide” to tear away our confidence, power and righteousness in Christ. He claimed the answer for our problem of not being good enough (which is a LIE in the first place).  You had to be totally submissive and loyal to him and the GCx leaders. You had to become like him who boasted in his humility, sacrifice, obedience and maturity in Christ; all the while testifying in his actions just the opposite, that he was indeed a liar.  If you need a reminder, just watch the last part of his Spiritual Gifts "Conference.  I was even there in that conference and was BLIND at the time, and didn't see it for 5 more years (I had been there five years already.  That's a total of ten.)!  

Don't subject yourself any longer to this man's yeast of false teaching and lies about who you are in Christ.  It permeates throughout the GCx churches because they will not publically disassociate with him or condemn his teaching.  Don't put up with so called "spiritual teachers" "pushing you around" and "slapping you in the face". I believe God is begging you to leave.  Here are some fatherly and endearing words of God toward his people:

"They have eyes to see but do not see and ears to hear but do not hear...

Therefore ... pack your belongings for exile and in the daytime, as they watch, set out and go from where you are to another place.  
Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house.  
During the daytime, while they watch, bring out your belongings packed for exile.
Then in the evening, while they are watching, go out like those into exile..."

Ezekiel 12:2,3,4

Please pause and calmly think about this in your heart.  Close your eyes and listen to "Take My Hand" by Lindsay McCaul.  Pray that you will SEE and hear and GO.   I have a strange inkling you'll feel his presence as you do...

Take My Hand - Lindsay McCaul
https://youtu.be/3-2YU3dA8Cs

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:52:39 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: