Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
August 18, 2019, 10:27:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How have your beliefs changed since you left GC?  (Read 4527 times)
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: September 28, 2014, 10:03:20 am »

Just curious about the life path everyone's taken after leaving GC, and the changes in each of our spiritual journeys. The person who, for example, helped 'lead me to Christ' when I was in college -- she is now a Catholic, after having married a Catholic man and being dissatisfied with GC. Some friends are now Presbyterian, some joined the rival non-denominational church in Ames, and still, some others became agnostic or atheist.

How would you describe your beliefs have changed, or the church you currently assist (if any)?
steelgirl
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »

I have attended Vineyard Churches, a presbyterian church and a pentecostal/charismatic church.   Rght now I attend a Baptist Church.   I still love Jesus.   I am very leery of leadership these days.   I do not regret going on the service trip I went on while I was there.

I go to a  Baptist Church, however I am more open to the gifts of the Spirit,  because of my time in Vineyard and other charismatic churches.   I am glad I left my GCM Church when I did.   If I would have stay, my growth and walk would have stagnated.   Looking back,  the leadership might have been controlling.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:54:07 pm by steelgirl » Logged
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 07:29:58 am »

What a great question, FeministRebel!

We have chosen churches that place a high value on the Word of God (unlike GC who says they put a high value on the Word of God, but in practice value the Words of Men above the Word of God). We attended 4 different Baptist churches. They were all fairly large and we felt oddly safe in all of them because of the size. We could worship God corporately, yet didn't have to repeatedly tell our story. I think we really needed that anonymity when we first left ECC. Looking back, it was a fairly traumatic departure.

We currently attend a conservative Anglican church. We love the way they value the word of God and read a lot of Scripture during the service. We love the emphasis on prayer and how they pray aloud every week for everything from guidance for our President Barack and peace for the conflicts of the world to healing for members of the congregation and their families/friends who may be ill, to strength and guidance for all. We love how the focus is The Cross of Christ and the service ends with communion and worship songs. The sermon comes before announcements. Everything builds to a focus on The Cross.

I now find myself keenly aware of what is said from up front in a service. It doesn't take long to discover whether or not a church is interested in themselves ("our church", "our movement") or whether or not they lift up the name of God.

My GC church has gone to a lot of work to discredit other churches. They used to send out flyers that said things like "This is not your mother's church" and they have a web site called "Religion is a Lie" where three people talk about how bad their churches were. (Methodist, Lutheran, and Catholic, I believe) Of course, the great irony is that the Anglican church that we attend is way more solid than our GC church and places much more emphasis on Scripture and prayer during the service.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:33 am »

Just curious about the life path everyone's taken after leaving GC, and the changes in each of our spiritual journeys. The person who, for example, helped 'lead me to Christ' when I was in college -- she is now a Catholic, after having married a Catholic man and being dissatisfied with GC. Some friends are now Presbyterian, some joined the rival non-denominational church in Ames, and still, some others became agnostic or atheist.

How would you describe your beliefs have changed, or the church you currently assist (if any)?

I think the biggest change for me has come from growing in self-confidence and maturity.  I think having a low self-esteem was the biggest contributor to why I stayed with GCx as long as I did (8 years).  In other words, I can look back now and see some red flags and things I should never have put up with... but at the time, I just wanted to fit in and be accepted by people. 

I still believe in Jesus and I praise God that I benefit now from a Church where I can be myself.  The biggest mistake GCx made, in my opinion, was trying to fit people's lives to look like what they thought was right rather than accepting people where they are.  I'm glad today I'm part of something so much better. 
steelgirl
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:12:30 am »

Ned, I was involved for almost 5 yrs.  I did not have the best self-esteem either.   I don't know why I allowed myself to put up with what I did either.  I should have seen that something was not right about having to be asked to go to a life group.   Some other things I should not have put up with the way I did.  I am rather leery of church leadership. I can't negate the fact that God allowed me a ministy opportunity.   It was good, but this caused conflict especially after the opportunity.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:09:01 pm by steelgirl » Logged
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 12:13:34 pm »

Ned, I was involved for almost 5 yrs.  I did not have the best self-esteem either.   I don't know why I allowed myself to put up with what I did either.  I should have seen that something was not right about having to be asked to go to a life group.   Some other things I should not have put up with the way I did.  I am rather leery of church leadership. I can't negate the fact that God allowed me a ministy opportunity.   It was good, but this caused conflict especially after the opportunity.

steelgirl, thanks for the response.  Again, I think self-esteem is the key. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: