Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:18:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psalm 155  (Read 16506 times)
theresearchpersona
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: November 18, 2008, 01:57:39 am »

Translated by John FH:

Judge of Truth, Lord!
Judge me not according to my sins!

For no one living
is righteous before you.

Grant me discernment, Lord, by your Torah,
teach me your judgments,

that many may hear of your works,
peoples honor your glory.

Remember me and do not forget me,
lead me not into situations too hard for me.

And he notes, quote:
“Lead me not into spots too hard for me” / “lead me not into temptation” are expressions of humility on the part of the one who prays. It is not implied that God might lead in the way the one who prays asks he will not. Rather, the words describe what the psalmist knows God will already do. They are a vehicle of the psalmist's resolve to shun evil, not fall into temptation, and avoid situations that amount to asking for trouble."

<--End Quote.

"Torah", by the way, is used in differing sentences in Hebrew/among-Jews(then) than we do: traditionally it's rendered "law" in the OT (and Gr. "nomos" in the NT is often used equivocatingly: probably the term used among the Greek Jews similarly if not identically as them who spoke Hebrew and Aramaic); whereas we usually think of the laws in the Pentateuch, it can also be more broadly applied to the Pentateuch itself, and even more broadly to the "Law and Prophets" (Torah and Kethuvim), and yet even earlier I believe it was at once applied to all the (then extent) Scripture: but which sense is used here, I do not know: how to distinguish such things I need to learn.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: