Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:28:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Reasons I Don't Believe Suzanne van Dyck  (Read 27831 times)
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: April 19, 2018, 12:07:49 pm »

1.   Suzanne completely changed her story from one of “spiritual abuse” to one of sexual abuse 18 years after the fact.

2.   In a sit-down meeting 18 years ago with Mark and several others, including her husband and counselor, Suzanne is on record as having never brought up anything in the realm of sexual abuse. Also, in a letter she and John wrote to Mark at that time, there are no charges of any kind that support her recent claims of sexual abuse. Mark has the letter as proof.

3.   Suzanne accused Evergreen (specifically three Godly pastors of great integrity) of a cover-up and a $60,000 bribe to buy her silence. This is patently false. The money was in the form of a severance package for John as he transitioned from being an employee of Evergreen. An outside firm, Mission Training International, was brought in to help manage this transition, and they suggested a standard severance agreement, which included language around non-disparagement, be used.

4.   As a part of Suzanne’s accusations, she literally accused Mark’s wife of not only knowing about, but being complicit in, the abuse.

5.   Several friends of the van Dyck’s at the time say the topic of sexual abuse never came up even as they confided in others about their issues with Mark.

6.   Suzanne would have us believe that even though her husband John knew that she was being serially sexually abused, he did nothing to stop it and, in fact, remained employed in the same church as her abuser for many years. And when he did leave the church several years later, he did not bring forth any charges of sexual abuse. Interestingly, John also has indicated he won't participate in an investigation.

7.   Suzanne has refused to answer any questions either on this forum or Facebook and Twitter, which is where she brought these charges forth. Even basic questions go unanswered. She said that she had proof but has offered nothing in that regard.

8.   Suzanne now refuses to participate in the investigation even though she had originally agreed that she would participate.

9.   Suzanne posted this on Feb 5th, “Sometimes our bodies know what was done to us long before we have the words to name it. Those that help to name it, help to free us.” So, 18 years later she still needed others to help her figure out what happened to her and what she should call this? With the encouragement of several individuals here, she named it something it clearly was not.

10.   Suzanne’s story has been like shifting sand. Her latest iteration would seem to include the fact that she was a child when Mark abused her, as she recently reported him as her abuser in a network specifically for sexual child abusers.

11. Bonus reason and maybe the most compelling reason of all. In order to believe Suzanne, I also must believe that not only is Mark lying, but so is Mark Bowen, Brent Knox, Doug Patterson, Kathy Darling and Suzanne's counselor. When I weigh each side on the scale of truth, and look at the testimony of each of their lives, it isn't even close.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:02:01 pm by Digital Lynch Mob » Logged
Roger Dodger
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:50 pm »

#12 The Darling kids babysat for Suzanne and John Van Dyck during the late 90's.  This was after any allegations of abuse.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:10:06 am by Roger Dodger » Logged
arrogantcat
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:49:00 pm »

And Suzanne pretends not to know the difference between $15k $60k and $1M
Mango
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:15:39 am »

This is all quite compelling. Since Suzanne was on this forum this morning I wonder why she didn't try to address some of this.
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:31:49 am »

Maybe she didn’t reply to this because she doesn’t owe anyone here anything.

GTA, your glee is revealing a slightly less humble attitude than you would like everyone to believe.
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:39:29 am »

She owes God (and Mark) the truth...although you may be right, based on the content of this place over the past decade God may not be here.
Roger Dodger
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:25 am »

#13 Suzanne and John had her abuser officiate their wedding.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:07:42 am by Roger Dodger » Logged
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:51 am »

This (wedding and babysitting arguments) are faulty reasoning. Many people in an abusive situation are not fully aware of how bad the situation is until they are out of the situation. Hindsight is 20/20. During the events it is often difficult to pinpoint what is going on. This is why women return to abusive boyfriends, people forgive a repeatedly adulterous spous, or even why people in cults defend the cult leaders and their participation.

And maybe Suzanne stays silent on this forum for similar reasons Mark does. Their silence says nothing about guilt of innocence of either party. People on this forum do not know what discussion and research is going on behind the scenes.
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:50:08 am »

#12 The Darling kids babysat for Suzanne and John Van Dyck during the late 90's.  This would have to be after any allegations of abuse.  NO ONE ALLOWS the children of their sexual abuser to babysit their own children.

You clearly do not understand what a wreck spiritual/power/sexual abuse can do to one’s thinking. Both on the babysitting and the wedding you act like you have a trump card. I cannot even begin to tell you how entangled the person who abused me was in my life for over 20 years. Abuse lasted about 5 years and I carried on as normal until I couldn’t anymore. You say “NO ONE” but I’m telling you that compounded trauma and grief and trying to act like nothing happened doesnt make sense if it didn’t happen to you.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:42:12 am by Mary7 » Logged
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:03:29 am »

I absolutely agree with Mary7. I have seen this happen in the lives of people close to me, and even somewhat in my own life. It is often easier to pretend it didn't happen and put on a happy face than admit you were taken advantage of. Especially if you are taught unity is one of the most important traits of a Christian/church.
Mary7
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 08:05:06 am »

She owes God (and Mark) the truth...although you may be right, based on the content of this place over the past decade God may not be here.

God and Mark already know the truth. God is here. He is here even if not a single Christ-follower was here. I think you were issuing that phrase “God may not be here” to say that you believe we aren’t Christians.

When I was in the GCC Church, one wrong move (even when not sinful) could get you labeled as a non-Christian. I heard it said of many people “they might not be a believer.” There were sermons teaching you to question your salvation if you did or struggled with x,y,x. There was a whole lot of trying to prove that you really are a Christian worthy of investment by the leaders.

You and I may disagree but if you say you’re a Christian and have Jesus as your Savior, I will not question that the Holy Spirit resides in you. I may question your reasoning, kindness, wisdom, but not your salvation. That is not a game I play anymore.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 08:09:16 am by Mary7 » Logged
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:32 am »

I think you were issuing that phrase “God may not be here” to say that you believe we aren’t Christians.

Actually not at all. I know many of the people who've been posting here over the years. I do not doubt their faith. I just question their rationale for posting and the belief that they are actually doing good here.
Roger Dodger
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 08:16:41 am »

Mary7 in no way am I all knowing, but I modified my post to keep it to the facts of the matter.  Mark officiated their wedding after claims of abuse and the Darling kids baby sat for Van Dycks after allegations of abuse. The red text was eliminated as well, that is annoying for all to see.  We will trust the Holy Spirit to continue to lead all involved with the truth being brought forth.  
Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 08:17:04 am »

God and Mark already know the truth. God is here. He is here even if not a single Christ-follower was here. I think you were issuing that phrase “God may not be here” to say that you believe we aren’t Christians.

When I was in the GCC Church, one wrong move (even when not sinful) could get you labeled as a non-Christian. I heard it said of many people “they might not be a believer.” There were sermons teaching you to question your salvation if you did or struggled with x,y,x. There was a whole lot of trying to prove that you really are a Christian worthy of investment by the leaders.

You and I may disagree but if you say you’re a Christian and have Jesus as your Savior, I will not question that the Holy Spirit resides in you. I may question your reasoning, kindness, wisdom, but not your salvation. That is not a game I play anymore.

you must have not see the thread about "where are you now after GCx"  some are not following the Lord, including G-prince, who I believe is one of the founders of the forum.   
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 08:29:56 am »

Most posts on the "where are you now" thread were people saying they do still go somewhere, just not a GC church. Some exceptions, but it is not the majority by a long shot. Maybe you need to read it again.
Peacemaker03
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 08:37:19 am »

Everyone, please stop.  We all want to come here and throw stones at the other side, when it is perfectly obvious that both sides have some things that they could clean up.  In the spirit of not pointing out the twig is your neighbors eye without first dealing with the log in your own, I would encourage all to look around their side first.  Is there things that you could help clean up on your side before coming back here and lobbing bombs at the other side.  There seems to be a lot of dirty laundry sitting on the floor around here, and a lot of people who like to ignore their dirty laundry while still mocking the other side for living in such filth.
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 08:47:40 am »

Everyone, please stop.  We all want to come here and throw stones at the other side, when it is perfectly obvious that both sides have some things that they could clean up.  In the spirit of not pointing out the twig is your neighbors eye without first dealing with the log in your own, I would encourage all to look around their side first.  Is there things that you could help clean up on your side before coming back here and lobbing bombs at the other side.  There seems to be a lot of dirty laundry sitting on the floor around here, and a lot of people who like to ignore their dirty laundry while still mocking the other side for living in such filth.

It's easy to say "stop" when it isn't you or someone you care about who has been systematically libeled and defamed online. Suzanne doesn't stop. She's been doing this for over three months now. The example of the child predator forum is just the latest in a series of reputation-and-life-destroying attacks leveled at Mark. So as long as she continues, I will not be silent.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:56 am »

And GTA, are believers supposed to be condemning and sneering toward the 30%? Is that going to win the day?

Nothing on this forum says it is for believers only.
Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 09:51:36 am »

And GTA, are believers supposed to be condemning and sneering toward the 30%? Is that going to win the day?

Nothing on this forum says it is for believers only.

I have attempted to share love and truth with those that are not believers.  You can go back and read my posts.  My heart breaks for them. 

Yes, nothing on the forum says it is for believers.  But I thought how ironic that one of the founders of the forum is not a believer.  But then I thought again, and no, this makes perfect sense, that a lot of this forum is coming from a heart that does not want to follow God.  What a perfect way to cause division within the church. 
Greentruth

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 10:46:10 pm »

Yes, nothing on the forum says it is for believers.  But I thought how ironic that one of the founders of the forum is not a believer.  But then I thought again, and no, this makes perfect sense, that a lot of this forum is coming from a heart that does not want to follow God.  What a perfect way to cause division within the church. 

GTA
This is what transitioned me from watching and trying to figure out the motive on this form, and what caused such a condescending approach, for me to voice from a broken heart. Where in my Christian walk, I had NEVER experienced or seen this type of never ending assault on the Church. Until Omegaman ,who is a local Christian who has never been involved in a GC Church, shared what seem to define it for me. But what still confuses me is why do those who claim to walk with God, link hands with those that don’t want to follow God, in trying to cause divisions in the Church. I guess all I can do is pray for them. Thank you for being strong, as my prayers will continue for those on the front line. Jesus grace and protection to you
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: