Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:00:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious  (Read 7752 times)
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: May 19, 2017, 06:29:00 am »

I don't know if people still come here, but maybe someone does and can answer my question! During my time at Candlewood, Rory would often mention someone in his sermons whom he described as being vindictive, bitter and angry because he wasn't appointed to leadership...he said he had come around for a while and wanted to be a leader, he wrote a book or something at some point and basically denounced the church. I was just wondering if anyone knew who that was or what really happened? From what Rory said the guy sounded like a real jerk, but I can't help but wonder how true that account was....

On a side note, I was curious if there are any other places where people discuss there GC experience? Like Reddit or Facebook? I am involved with a counselor at my college trying to open up discussion with the president of the school on the dangers of gcm, And Trying to put in place some resources for those who are leaving the church. I always direct people to this website, but it's so inactive Lately that I don't know how helpful it is for them..
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:17:32 am »

Hi Differentstrokes,

I get the impression that the most active days of this forum have come and gone.  Even so, there is a great archive of testimonies and information that remains very powerful.  It will continue to serve as a tremendous help to those who find their way out of GCx and other dangerous, abusive religious groups.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:22:38 am by Ned_Flanders » Logged
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:17:06 pm »

I have been contacted and have met with people in recent months who are still struggling. I do know people find help by reading old threads. Not much has changed. No real apologies have been made. No teaching has been corrected. They continue to publicly defend Jim McCotter and attack his critics.

http://gccweb.org/jim-mccotter-statement/

So many lives have been messed up by this group of men who genuinely thought they were doing good. Very sad.

I am not aware of any other resources, but would be interested in links. Every now and then I Google to see if anything new shows up. Haven't done that in a while.

God bless you all.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
MidnightRider

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 08:02:45 pm »

Discussion here goes up and down.

If there is something on your mind, speak up. And welcome.
BTDT
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:25:03 pm »

When I came across this site several years ago, the discussion was already starting to wane a little bit, although it was nowhere near as quiet as it is now.  Reading the old threads was super helpful and healing to me. I read all of them, and realized that I was far from alone in what I was feeling and experiencing.

I wonder if Rory was referring to Larry Pile.  Take a look at http://gcxweb.org/TopTen.aspx to see what he wrote so long ago.  It would be sadder than usual if a second generation was carrying on the bitterness over Larry or others telling the truth about what was going on.

I've often thought it would be nice to have some sort of forum meet-up. But I have no idea how many of the folks who have posted here still stop by.
trthskr
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:51:12 pm »

From what I was told after leaving GCM at Drake University, there was a sort of watchdog group looking into the church there.  The InterVarsity leader told me that Drake was very concerned and had formed a task force, but hadn't done anything to "kick them off campus" -  I think they were concerned about it looking anti-diversity to kick a religious group off campus.

You could possibly have your school contact get into contact with someone at Drake and see what info they had gathered.  I believe there had been quite a few concerned parents in contact with the school about GCM

Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 08:08:02 am »

That's helpful info about drake, I will look into that
Ned_Flanders
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 01:28:13 pm »

From what I was told after leaving GCM at Drake University, there was a sort of watchdog group looking into the church there.  The InterVarsity leader told me that Drake was very concerned and had formed a task force, but hadn't done anything to "kick them off campus" -  I think they were concerned about it looking anti-diversity to kick a religious group off campus.

You could possibly have your school contact get into contact with someone at Drake and see what info they had gathered.  I believe there had been quite a few concerned parents in contact with the school about GCM

This is a good idea if that Church is a dangerous religious group.
theresearchpersona

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 03:28:42 pm »

This is a good idea if that Church is a dangerous religious group.

Problem is who defines "dangerous" and precedent set.

Universities already being havens for the kind of leftism seen in the Bolshevik years, destruction of free speach, tone-policing, and totalitarian aspirants, asking the uni to do anything is a problem.

Then there is InterVarsity: these day's it's an ecumenical mixed-bag which honest minds don't even see as particularly representative of Christianity or anything faithful.

That said, a better method to pursue this is to alert confessional/traditionals in the area, give them the library docs from a site like this, have them review statements here, Larry Pile book, etc., and ask them to do their duty as pastors to expose false teachers, wolves in sheep's clothing, etc. Good pastors will warn--possibly in public squares too, to "sheep steal" the sheep out of the wolves Jaws. Part of righteousness is breaking those jaws.

Cheesy --> :x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: