Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:22:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From "On the Wall" booklet by Rick Whitney 2006  (Read 5871 times)
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: February 22, 2008, 08:04:32 am »

"I remember when I first witnessed a few men leave us and walk away from our churches.  They were angry and they said some pretty hard things.  It was personally challenging for me to understand.  I reacted in the flesh.  I got angry.  

I thought, "Why don't they just walk away? Why can't they just leave?"

So I asked an older brother, "Why can't they?"

His answer was abrupt.  He turned towards me and challenged my lack of real understanding.  

This is what he said;

"You don't get it, do you, Rick?  They are lashing out because they are hurting and they are hurting because they are walking away from family.  They might even feel a little guilty. They probably feel like they are deserting.  We are indeed involved in a great enterprise, brother, *and you need to remember it*."
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:12:10 am »

And another quote in that booklet by Jim McCotter:

"Following the Lord and doing His will, will link you heart-to heart and shoulder-to-shoulder with the highest quality of men and women upon the face of  the earth."

___

These 2 quotes seem in contradiction to another booklet I was browsing through today that was actually very good, "The Secret of Success" (humility) by Jim McCotter
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:55:33 pm »

"You don't get it, do you, Rick? They are lashing out because they are hurting and they are hurting because they are walking away from family. They might even feel a little guilty. They probably feel like they are deserting. We are indeed involved in a great enterprise, brother, *and you need to remember it*."

Hmmmm, wasn't this said by the man who walked away mysteriously in the mid 1980's.  Apparently he found a greater enterprise!

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:04:52 pm »

I was just reading more of "On the Wall" by Rick Whitney(Spring 2006)

At the end of the booklet the impression is definitely given that if you are not with  this church, you are missing out on God's best.  There is no other church that can offer what this church offers.

But, if you were to look at the many pastors and others who have left GCx, you'd find amazing servants of God who are still serving Christ with all of their heart, soul mind and strength and helping others to do the same.  

If you are a GCx pastor/staff member and  feel any guilt and condemnation for even the thought that God is leading you elsewhere, don't.  

God has done amazing things in your life up to now and He will continue even as you serve Him elsewhere.

There are many examples of those who have chosen to do the same.

__

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous for the Lord your God is with you, where ever you go."
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:22:02 pm »

But, if you were to look at the many pastors and others who have left GCx, you'd find amazing servants of God who are still serving Christ with all of their heart, soul mind and strength and helping others to do the same.  

Good point. Next latte on me.  I was never actively involved in GC. I lost a friend to the group. She left  years later for undisclosed reasons. I left a pentecostal bible school with shepherding  and other heretical leanings.  It took years to recover. I am now a member at church with Protestant Reformed background.  It is a great place to serve and be served.  

I do not have any hard statistics. Of former members I know.  Two are in the UMC. One is a minister in Texas. One is in Baptist church.   One was briefly in a balanced charismatic church.  I had occasion to visit.   The point is there is life after our groups.

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: