Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:31:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GCM pastor in the news.  (Read 47901 times)
Genevieve
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 10:04:26 am »

I'm not Catholic, but that sounds like a serious misunderstanding of Catholicism. Maybe try reading some Catholic theology books to shed some light on the things you don't understand? Or try reading some of the early church fathers and theologians?

Not everything we believe as Christians is directly spelled out in the Bible (the Holy Trinity, for example). So some of the older traditions and practices need some more explanation.
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 05:03:20 pm »

This was an interesting CNN  interview with author Gabe Lyons that reminded me of the original post on this thread about politics and GCx.  

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PMflS_pRnVo
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 06:33:12 pm »

" Watched the documentary Jesus Camp last night... and thought it was disturbing. This is a must-see film for any believer who wants to see the growing perspective of Christians in the US... and the dangers of mixing politics with faith. Erwin McManus is right when he says that the greatest threat to the movement of Jesus Christ is Christianity."

~Ben Arment

http://www.benarment.com/history_in_the_making/2007/03/jesus_camp.html
theresearchpersona
Household Name (300+ Posts)

t
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2007, 02:35:06 am »

Quote from: "Genevieve"
I'm not Catholic, but that sounds like a serious misunderstanding of Catholicism. Maybe try reading some Catholic theology books to shed some light on the things you don't understand? Or try reading some of the early church fathers and theologians?

Not everything we believe as Christians is directly spelled out in the Bible (the Holy Trinity, for example). So some of the older traditions and practices need some more explanation.

From.Catholic.Background. and currently the missionary target of a Roman Catholic Great Aunt who hopes I'll become a priest in her church, as well as by another who's a granmda. And no...if you mean the apologetic books meant for counter-reformation and appeasing critics...worthless: I have an interesting book sent me by a catholic man from who I bought an old Bible though...something like by an "emminent" theologian or something, which may end up to be interesting reading.

Catholicism isn't something to be played with or compromised with/to...and if you do happen to read early Christian writings there are roots here and there of course...and yet you'll find more often that what they taught and wrote directly contradicted Catholicism. When the pope declares himself infallible he directly denies the Bible; when they declare the Apocrypha to be scripture they deny the early Church, Jerome, miedevil Pope-declarations on the subject, and so on.

It's no interest of mine to contend with them just to fight...only if there's a real need: and I hope not to let anyone who I may warn think that RCC or Catholicism or its varianst and/or forms are in any way normal or acceptable: especially for the blasphemies. Take, for instance, Eucharist: they teach it as the literal re-sacrificing of Christ to cleanse the sins, and they teach it and the other Catholic sacrements as the means of God's grace and dispensation of His Spirit. However, as the Bible tells us, God's Spirit isn't subject to me, and I cannot accept any such blasphemy against Him.

I learned from my family, from experience, and even from Catholic and ex-Catholic priests.  I also happen to have friend/etc. from whom I also get the young understanding of Catholicism...and it's interesting that they're the first to tell me that they define all the terms differentally, (like the Mormons), than we do. Here's a link to one such preacher who's been working against falsehood since his repentence and conversion: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8147007351072823056, and here's the chart to which that video refers.

Furthermore, beliefs not explicit from the Bible, by implicit by the Bible, are not extra-biblical. It is, for instance, possible to witness to it even in the Hebrew choices of words applied to God, "Elohim" (plural), "one" (word used for one cluster of grapes); and one of the clenchers is Zechariah 12:10, which Jews famously (in the past) tried to mis-translated but where then called-out by scholars. ""I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn." The context is God speaking...the "Him" is "Me" (God), but differences of person is evidence while God yet claims to be the "Him" and "Me"; some Bibles still have tried to gloss this over, a few tried to be grammatically correct and "smooth" the english...but translating it as is becomes really revealing, (and you can check into this with commentaries, original language study tools, e-sword and its models, or by learning Hebrew...the last of which I recommend and which I'm working on very slowly, but with hope).

The Church is supposed to "test every spirit" (read the rest), remember? How? By the word. There's explicit, there's implicit, and then there is reading-into the text what isn't actually there. The Church must ever be on guard against the last, or against purposeful imposition of thereupon teh scripture by traditions of men and not God; must undertake faithful study and examination of the scriptures and obey: including exposing and calling-out those in false and unclean religion and spirituality; she must take heed to all the explicit and also (upon prayerful and believing petition to God) the implicit also, provided no command is added or taken away; we must permit only pure and clean doctrine, and Rome has none of this, only lies upon lies, and it really is sad.
Truth Lover
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 07:06:59 am »

Below is a link to an excellent resource to help ones understand the difference between the Roman Catholic faith and the true faith of the Bible.  It is called "Proclaiming the Gospel".  The man writing these articles, Mike Gendron, is an ex-Catholic who is now a believer in the true Jesus, the true Gospel, and he has a special gift of evangelism.  You can read the articles on line, or have the newsletters sent to you.  There are some very helpful tracts and other things available.  My favorite tract is called "Roman Catholicism - Scripture vs. Tradition.  It explains the history of the Roman Catholic faith, with a time line and definitions, etc...  All the stuff there is very good.  I agree with Theresearchpersona that any and all issues that go against the Bible, against Christ, against the True Gospel should be exposed for what they are.  We are called and commanded to not only proclaim the Truth but also defend and protect the Truth from any and all error ~ especially as it relates to the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ.  There is another very helpful book about the times we are in called "The Truth War" ~ by John MacArthur.  You can find it at www.gty.org.  This talks more about the postmodern thinking that is pervasive in our culture, and it calls us as Christians to be discerning (1 Thess. 5:21-22) and to fight for the faith once for all delivered to the saints.  (Jude v. 3).  I highly recommend it to every Christian who loves God and His Truth!

http://pro-gospel.org/

For our Lord Jesus ~ For His glory!

Truth Lover
Romans 11:36 ~ "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.  To Him be the glory forever.  Amen."
G_Prince

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 11:17:38 am »

Look, there are millions of anti-Catholic chat rooms around the globe. Can you'all post there? Frankly this is really offensive to say nothing about mis-informed.  I don't want to start a huge and completely pointless theological debate which would do nothing but hurt feelings. Let's save this stuff for Ihatecatholics.com.

Here's an easy way to find out if you're in a cult. If you find yourself asking the question, "am I in a cult?" the answer is yes. -Stephen Colbert
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12:27 pm »

Quote from: "G_Prince"
Look, there are millions of anti-Catholic chat rooms around the globe. Can you'all post there? Frankly this is really offensive to say nothing about mis-informed.  I don't want to start a huge and completely pointless theological debate which would do nothing but hurt feelings. Let's save this stuff for Ihatecatholics.com.

Umm? I think people should be allowed to criticize doctrines and practices of Catholicism, just as we criticize GCx, without being told they hate Catholics.. Personally, I don't have much interest in debating the issue. However, I feel like it's unfair to attack Truth Lover and theresearchpersona like this when nothing from their posts seems to indicate to me their problems with Catholicism are anything more than doctrinal. If anything, the debate might be outside of the scope of this forum, but I don't sense that either of them hate Catholics.
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 01:42:59 pm »

Quote from: "puff of purple smoke"
Quote from: "G_Prince"

Umm? I think people should be allowed to criticize doctrines and practices of Catholicism, just as we criticize GCx, without being told they hate Catholics.. Personally, I don't have much interest in debating the issue. However, I feel like it's unfair to attack Truth Lover and theresearchpersona like this when nothing from their posts seems to indicate to me their problems with Catholicism are anything more than doctrinal. If anything, the debate might be outside of the scope of this forum, but I don't sense that either of them hate Catholics.

Might I make a suggestion, then?

If there is going to be debating of doctrinal/theological issues that are not GCx related, can it please go in its own forum (or at the very least, in its own separate thread, CLEARLY LABELED) so that those of us who don't want to read it can avoid it?

Post-gc, our family chose to attend/join a Catholic Church.  If I want to hear all about how Catholicism is evil, I'll go visit my local GCx affiliate.

Om, shanti.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:28:32 pm »

Quote from: "namaste"
Might I make a suggestion, then?

If there is going to be debating of doctrinal/theological issues that are not GCx related, can it please go in its own forum (or at the very least, in its own separate thread, CLEARLY LABELED) so that those of us who don't want to read it can avoid it?

Post-gc, our family chose to attend/join a Catholic Church.  If I want to hear all about how Catholicism is evil, I'll go visit my local GCx affiliate.

Sure. If anyone wants to continue a debate on Catholicism (I don't) feel free to start a new thread. Thanks.
Jason Stauffacher
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 12:50:03 am »

Chuck Norris endorses Mike Huckabee:
http://www.chucknorris.com/html/events.aspx

SWEET!  Chuck Norris would be a cool uncle to have.

-Jason
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2008, 08:51:37 pm »

Funny.  Huckabee just won the Iowa Republican Caucus.  Hmm...

Glad to be free.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 09:07:48 am »

(Additional debate about Catholicism continued in this thread.)
Linda

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 09:14:44 am »

Hi Research Persona,

I understand your need to speak the truth as you see it and contend for it. I respect that.

I do want to point out that a forum or blog are the "property" of the moderator(s), and as such, they control the content and purpose.

This forum is for " ex-GCM (aka GCI, GCAC, GCC) church members who want to discuss problems we've experienced in the association's practices and theology." (see statement of purpose at the top of the page.) Everyone who comments here is a guest and the comments are to relate to problems we have with GCM.

We aren't here to discuss Catholic theology. Graciously, the moderators have allowed this discussion, but suggested that it be continued on a separate thread. That way those who want to participate may and order is maintained.

There are many things to contend for. The purpose of this forum is to focus on one. Hope that helps you understand forum "etiquette".

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Linda

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 09:16:05 am »

A big never mind to the above post...Puff just moved it to its own thread.

Thanks, Puff!

LucyB
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 10:48:55 am »

Pastor Terry Amann from Walnut Creek was quoted by the Huffington Post for endorsing Rick Santorum for the Iowa Caucus. Does the article suggest that Walnut Creek is considered a "mega-church" or were they just unable to get a "mega-church" pastor to talk to them?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/31/rick-santorum-iowa-caucuses-sunday-evangelicals_n_1177415.html
trthskr
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 12:35:04 am »

Hmmm I wonder why they didn't get a quote from Tim this time  Grin
I thought I had learned somewhere that churches lose their tax exempt status for endorsing political candidates?
Linda

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 12:46:32 am »

Pastors are allowed to endorse candidates. They just can't do it from the pulpit or while on the job.

TheAtheist
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »

Hmmm I wonder why they didn't get a quote from Tim this time  Grin
I thought I had learned somewhere that churches lose their tax exempt status for endorsing political candidates?
It is very rare for churches to lose their tax-exempt status even if they break the tax code by endorsing political candidates from the pulpit or while on the job. This is one reason why many atheists support the repeal of tax-exempt status for churches altogether.
Outtathere
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 11:36:38 am »

Here we go again...sigh
 Undecided

Same church, same candidate but a different pastor.
http://theiowarepublican.com/2015/pastor-terry-amann-throws-his-support-behind-huckabee/
DevastatedTC
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 07:57:46 am »

So on Mike Huckabee's Facebook page, there is an endorsement from a Walnut Creek pastor, Terry Amann. https://www.facebook.com/mikehuckabee/?pnref=story

Weird, that's all. In other news, Wikipedia no longer has any mention of Tim Rude (gee, I wondered how that got changed) and apparently a church left the association (good for them).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: