Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:24:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Darling's Ames "Annointing"  (Read 9828 times)
An ex-GCM pastor
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: April 11, 2008, 10:58:50 am »

I got an email from a woman that was at the meeting that put Mark on as a pastor in Ames, Iowa.  I would love to share it below, but feel that it might be a bit off-color as it is a bit direct in her assessment of that day.  She really was there, as many others were. Are there anyone one of you here that were at that meeting?

I can email it to you off-list, if you request it.

-Ex
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 05:12:04 pm »

Wasn't Mark Darling a leader of some kind (Deacon?) and then
asked to step down because of pride and that is when he went into a depression?  Anyone remember?
An ex-GCM pastor
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:17:26 pm »

Mark had gotten seriously into debt on Slick 50, with no easy way to pay it back. Feeling like a failure towards his wife and family is supposedly a big part of the depression.

A quick note: Slick 50-it's a motor oil that contains teflon. It's now sold in stores, but wasn't in the early 80's. Probably 10-15 GCI people saw it as a get-rich-quick scheme and invested heavily. It didn't sell like people thought it would, leaving some with real debt.

puff of purple smoke  |  November 25, 2006 at 4:08 pm

Be specific, Puff, about what you are referring to with McCotter. Give examples.

Well, “Divisive” gave two examples in his/her original post. McCotter lying to a senator about how much capital he had, and Slick 50. With Slick 50, Henry Hintermeister claims extreme exhagguaration on McCotter’s part in terms of the funding: McCotter claimed to Petrolon that the GCI fellowship owned about a fourth of the Petrolon organization throughout the United States when in reality this was not even close to reality. Similar deal with senator John Conlan: McCotter claimed to have half a million dollars in capital raised, but really did not (but needed the appearance of having some money invested in order to convince others to invest, “gotta have money to make money” mentality). There are many other incidents of this manner that go way beyond “hype.” They point to a man unconcerned about telling the truth, a man without character. All financial matters aside, let’s not forget to mention the hundreds of people excommunicated and slandered by McCotter and his disciples for the sake of “unity”– that is another form is misleading people. Using people’s religious beliefs against them, with little disregard for the lives ruined, simply to keep critics silenced. What a swell guy.
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:44:16 pm »

I can remember the recognition of another elder in Ames. They asked everyone at the assembly to lower their heads, and then asked if anyone had anything they knew about the brother which would disqualify them to raise their hand.

I raised my hand but kept my head down. I then heard the leaders state that no one had anything so they recognized him. I was pretty let down. After the meeting I was approached by the leaders to find out why I had raised my hand. I explained what I knew. I found out later that the brother set about rectifying the problem, but by then he was already an elder.

Putting the cart in front of the horse if you ask me.
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:55:10 am »

And a LIE -- since you had a reason they shouldn't be recognized and they deceived the rest of the church.  

I think I was at that recognition -- because I remember them saying for everyone to put our heads down and raise our hands if we have anything against the brother.   Am I too bold to ask who the elder was?  I seem to have a memory it was Brent Knox
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 11:16:21 am »

You can ask but for the life of me I cannot remember! I do know that it was someone I had worked construction with, and so it couldn't have been Brent Knox. I don't think it was one of the Laugerman brothers either.

What that means is that there may have been more of the same behavior at other recognitions!
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:33:46 am »

I think John Meyer worked construction (he was a painter).  

I think you are RIGHT -- I think there were MANY elders "raised up" that it was done this hokey weird way.....

I remember they weren't going to raise Brent Knox up because he didn't make his bed faithfully!
DrSam
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:18:56 pm »

Hey guys,

I wouldn't look for a conspiracy in this. I was at a few of those events, either as an upcoming leader and insider or as a recognized leader. I would have said something to pursue the issue if someone raised their hand. If I remember correctly, in one of the times, someone did raise their hand and some of the leaders went and spoke to the person. It was resolved. I know that my attitude and that of the other guys were that, if necessary, we could hold off any new recognitions until everything was clear. I cannot speak for those times after I left.
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 01:39:44 pm »

Hey Sam,   I am not advocating a conspiracy. I am simply stating what happened and how I felt about it.

This was taking place in the late 70's and early 80's, some of it before you came on the scene and some of it afterwards.

I am glad that someone on another occasion may not have been recognized if a hand was raised.

All I said was that someone was recognized in spite of my raised hand and that I was questioned about it later. I felt that I "didn't count"  ,that my status as a non-leader was not regarded, that what was being said did not match what was being done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: