Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:14:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Methinks Dan should have googled a bit more!  (Read 8688 times)
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: November 29, 2007, 06:00:49 pm »

Here's a new article from the Great Commission site:

Dan Braga, a church planter in Seattle, is the first pastor of the Acts 29 Network to come on staff with GCM.

Acts 29 is a network of church planters who are committed to starting missional churches--churches that act as missionaries to their own communities and cultures. Acts 29 was co-founded by author and pastor Mark Driscoll, and it shares with GCM a commitment to fulfilling the Great Commission through local, reproducing churches. Both Acts 29 and GCM are committed to planting churches that will effectively reach the culture and plant more churches.

As a native of Seattle, Dan Braga is on a mission is to replant a church in the south of the city. "Seattle is the most unchurched city in the U.S.," he says, "so it is a ripe mission field. My hope is to see a church re-birthed that proclaims the good news of Jesus without shame, and to see lives healed for the glory of our King."

Dan came to know the Lord in 1998, after years of addiction and depression. "The night I received Jesus, I knew that I would serve Him with all my life," he says. "Over the years, I began naturally teaching and pastoring people, and as I matured, I felt a deep drive to do this in a greater capacity." Dan and his wife, Alexis, were married in 2001, and they have three children: Sophia, Nyla, and Jobe.

The executive director of Acts 29 encouraged Dan to come on staff with GCM for the financial support and credibility GCM provides. "Church planting and replanting are financially challenging calls," says Dan. "GCM provides excellent fund-raising training and accountability, easing the burden on the prospective planter. It's been absolutely fantastic to be the first in this, and I can't wait to see many others join!"

To learn more about the Acts 29 Network, visit www.acts29network.org.

Glad to be free.
maranatha
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:25:05 pm »

I've sometimes thought it could be beneficial if GCx churches merged with a group like Acts29 or Sovereign Grace ministries, who have similar hearts for the Great Commission, but are stronger in doctrine.

But perhaps with Dan Braga coming on staff, maybe GCx will help GCx become stronger in doctrinal weaknesses that it has?

It seems, too, that something God has helped Mark Driscoll with lately, too, is humility.

He spoke recently of how because of his lack of humility, it's become a problem in the men he influences.  This video shows a recent teaching he did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHRMFsOUYBY
(The first 5 min. are general good teaching. It's about at 5.30 that he speaks of his lack of humility)

Wishful thinking perhaps.
G_Prince
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:53:57 pm »

Dan B.

This isn't the same mean-comment guy on "you know who's" blog?

Here's an easy way to find out if you're in a cult. If you find yourself asking the question, "am I in a cult?" the answer is yes. -Stephen Colbert
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 03:04:27 pm »

It's either him, or another guy (can't remember last name) from Milwaukee hat used to be in GC back in the day.
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 03:10:22 pm »

Quote from: "nateswinton"
It's either him, or another guy (can't remember last name) from Milwaukee hat used to be in GC back in the day.

Sorry, the first part of that ("It's either him, or another guy...") REALLY cracked me up. Wink

Thanks for making my day. Smiley

Om, shanti.
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 06:12:56 pm »

Ha ha, yea, it's um... one of those guys... ya know?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: