Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:39:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mission pastor - Amsterdam or Berlin - that was decommissioned in 2002-3??  (Read 41471 times)
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 07:24:26 am »

Wow!!!!!

Roll Eyes

Is THIS string relevant right now or WHAT?Huh?

Now we know what the altercation was all about between Mark Darling and John Van Dyke.

And we know how Mark Darling responds to accountability and the wounds of a friend.  Touchy touchy.

I just read it again and it is making more sense. 

Why doesn't Evergreen Church stop with the secrecy and protecting top leaders at all costs?

None of the pastors are held accountable is how it looks to me. 

Is this glaring to anyone else?Huh??

It is relevant in that we all agree the reason John and Suzanne left Evergreen had nothing to do with sexual abuse.
iamnotafraid
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 08:52:15 am »

Linda,

Jeff Kern led GCM after Tom Schroeder. Tom came out of the Ohio State vein of GCM and Jeff came out of Michigan. My understanding is that Jeff had convictions to partner GCM with other organizations and realized that GCM did not exist in a bubble. He began relationships with groups like Campus Crusade and Dr. Luder Whitlock from Reformed Seminary. Jeff began introducing theological training into the staff structure and saw it as a need for missionaries. That created tensions within the overall structure as Jeff was moving towards more of a reformed structure within GC and the tensions could be felt at national conferences and, from my understanding, national leadership conferences. There was a power struggle of sorts as to who would be the banner carrier for the organization, Great Commission Churches (GCC) or Great Commission Ministries.  That is when Faithwalkers began. It was a statement against the direction Jeff was trying to move in. You still see some of the ramifications of that today as Reliant has distanced themselves from GCC. They still serve as a sending ministry, but they also serve many other organizations and not GCC exclusively.

To answer your question, I believe Jeff committed the unpardonable sin (in their eyes, not mine) of interviewing for a leadership position with another organization. This sent alarms off throughout the "committed" of the movement and he was asked to resign because he was not seen to be fully loyal. My understanding (from an inside source) is that he did not wish to do so and that certain people jumped on the opportunity to remove him. I have the UTMOST respect for Jeff; not per se as a perfect man who never made mistakes, but because of his big picture vision to move the movement towards more gospel-centered teachings. I was always encouraged and refreshed by his commitment to partner with others outside of GCx for the gospel. I do hope he is doing well. My understanding of his successor, Tom Mauriello, is that he is also a man who casts a larger net and sees Reliant as just one part of something greater that God is doing.

Moral of the story, "If you want to rid yourself of someone, question their loyalty to the organization (and  therefore Christ)."

FALSE INFO here - Jeff Kern had suffered major health issues.  Do not post information that is assuming or untrue.  That is about 85% of this webpage. 
HughHoney

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 08:55:04 am »

You imply that Kern decided to leave due to heath issues. How did you come about this information?
iamnotafraid
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 09:02:21 am »

You imply that Kern decided to leave due to heath issues. How did you come about this information?

He is a family friend.
HughHoney

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 09:06:42 am »

No offense but you got the family friend explanation.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 09:14:41 am »

His "health issues" don't seem to be stopping him from serving as a pastor at a large (non-GCX) church and having a consulting business on the side.  Could be true I suppose but when his health recovered he didn't seem to come back to GCM or even a GCM church but is still engaged in ministry..things that make you go hmmm....

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeff-kern-5153b66/
Digital Lynch Mob
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 09:43:26 am »

He did have a heart attack if I remember correctly. That might cause someone to step out for a season.
HughHoney

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 09:45:46 am »

I’m really glad he is doing well these days. An answer to prayers no doubt.
omelianchuk
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 09:46:48 am »

Poor dude. I always liked that guy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: