Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:50:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New update on Evergreen Church's website, 8/8/18  (Read 9786 times)
MovedOn
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: August 08, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »

https://www.evergreenchurch.com/update/

OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:23 pm »

I think it is a good letter. It means that people are talking and the BOT is listening.

I am skeptical that the DNA of this cult can change. How do they change when the remaining pastors are unrepentant narcissists? Hiring pastors outside of Evergreen that have a degree of divinity would help a lot. Imagine the work such a pastor would have sharing the gospel and teaching the truth that lies in scripture. I bet it would be a more difficult job than sharing with those who count themselves as non-believers.
ShineTheLight
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 04:37:17 pm »

They are listening but sadly seem to be only listening to those at The Rock who love Mark and hate the decision that was made (and probably don't have warm feelings about the victims) - Those may not be the voices they should be paying the most attention to.  I wish they would listen to those of us who have a different set of questions such as:

1) How is knowing about 3 occurrences of complaints of sexual misconduct and not telling the BOT at the time about it not the definition of "coverup", having your fellow pastor's back at the flock's expense, protecting your own, a church version of "the blue wall"
2) Why is the person who covered this up and who wrote the tweet that was proven more false than true still in a pastoral role without any disciplinary steps or recovery steps required before resuming his duty as a pastor.
3) Why was Loey's account of physical sexual assault, shared both with the investigator and on Facebook not addressed -at all-
4) Did our pastors sign NDAs to protect Mark and if so, how is that not the definition of a coverup?
5) How is a path back to "restoration" appropriate for an unrepentant liar? (is there a different way to read "comprehensive denial)?" - you can't repent for what you don't admit and to deny something found to be true seems to be the definition of a lie.
6) My tithes and offerings are apparently now helping pay for a severance package for someone who should have been fired for cause but voluntarily resigned - fine - how much how much will we be offering the victims of his misconduct?  I'd like to contribute to the 2nd not the first, do I have that option?

These are questions I and others I know would like to see addressed on the update website. This update (and the one before it) is kowtowing to angry, hurting folks at The Rock - fine- what about the rest of us who are angry for different reasons? How about addressing our questions ECC?
Heidi
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:29:46 pm »

They are listening but sadly seem to be only listening to those at The Rock who love Mark and hate the decision that was made (and probably don't have warm feelings about the victims) - Those may not be the voices they should be paying the most attention to.  I wish they would listen to those of us who have a different set of questions such as:

1) How is knowing about 3 occurrences of complaints of sexual misconduct and not telling the BOT at the time about it not the definition of "coverup", having your fellow pastor's back at the flock's expense, protecting your own, a church version of "the blue wall"
2) Why is the person who covered this up and who wrote the tweet that was proven more false than true still in a pastoral role without any disciplinary steps or recovery steps required before resuming his duty as a pastor.
3) Why was Loey's account of physical sexual assault, shared both with the investigator and on Facebook not addressed -at all-
4) Did our pastors sign NDAs to protect Mark and if so, how is that not the definition of a coverup?
5) How is a path back to "restoration" appropriate for an unrepentant liar? (is there a different way to read "comprehensive denial)?" - you can't repent for what you don't admit and to deny something found to be true seems to be the definition of a lie.
6) My tithes and offerings are apparently now helping pay for a severance package for someone who should have been fired for cause but voluntarily resigned - fine - how much how much will we be offering the victims of his misconduct?  I'd like to contribute to the 2nd not the first, do I have that option?

These are questions I and others I know would like to see addressed on the update website. This update (and the one before it) is kowtowing to angry, hurting folks at The Rock - fine- what about the rest of us who are angry for different reasons? How about addressing our questions ECC?

I have all the same questions and concerns.  The Statement that Evergreen has now come out with on 8/8/18, states that Mark Darling was offered a Severance package.  Was that mentioned before? " A severance package has been offered to Mark by the Board of Trustees."  That is vague.  Did he take it? 
Why would a severance package be offered to a person that has sinned against the church by flat out denying any wrong doing.  The investigation proved their was wrong doing.   That is lying.  He continues to deny any wrong doing.  I hope that severance package had some strings attached like-  You can get a severance package if you commit to getting psychological counseling, which was advised in 2001.  This is so wrong church.
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 10:17:59 pm »

Ordination rescinded due to inappropriate sexual conversations with several women and he’s offered a severance package? You’ve GOT to be kidding.

Will the victims who were ignored for years and disrespected in sermons and Tweets by pastors be given compensation for all the counseling they paid for to process this abuse?

Do ECC members know what the package includes? They should be told.

ECC just keeps digging their hole deeper and deeper. It is astonishing.

To the victims. I am so sorry that ECC has offered a severance package to the man who treated you so inappropriately. It must hurt.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:59:38 am »

The amount of the severance package should be information available to the public, correct? Was Jeromy given a severance package too?

I think it will take a lot of time and pressure through questions before Evergreen operates with transparency and integrity. The system was not designed with integrity. It save Evergreen the system would need to change until it is no longer Evergreen. A new model would have to be created. A purge of pastors would need to be forced or would happen naturally as the current pastors who lack a conscience would likely leave to work somewhere else where they could continue to operate in an oppressive manner.
MovedOn
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:23 am »

I see the severance package as a way for MD to care for his wife for a time, things like medical and to cover basic expenses like rent or mortgage, utilities, car insurance, etc., but I wouldn't think it would be a typical package since he has resigned and not admitted to any wrongdoing found by the investigation.

Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 08:09:03 am »

Yes, but it was Mark's choice not to remain employed and utilize the "path back" to ordination.  They did not remove his livelihood, rather he chose not to accept their terms.  Plus he's raising financial support for a new ministry.  I do not understand why an abusive unrepentant dishonest pastor who has caused such significant upheaval in a church should receive money from that church when he refused to participate in the restoration they so graciously offered.

I couldn't tell by your comment MovedOn if you think it is legitimate for him to receive severance or not, I'm just explaining why I think it's completely inappropriate.

I see the severance package as a way for MD to care for his wife for a time, things like medical and to cover basic expenses like rent or mortgage, utilities, car insurance, etc., but I wouldn't think it would be a typical package since he has resigned and not admitted to any wrongdoing found by the investigation.

Mapleleaf
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 08:23:43 am »

Did I miss something, because I thought we were informed that Mark chose to resign.  If you resign from your job, I believe that makes things such as taking care of your wife, medical coverage, mortgage, utilities, car insurance, etc. to be YOUR PROBLEMS, not your former employer.  It continues to be impressive how much this church will bend over backwards to try to make things better for Mark, due to the perceived "injustice" that has been done to him.
MovedOn
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:33:13 am »

Rebel and Mapleleaf, I see what you're saying. I hadn't thought it through the whole way like you did. (Edited to add: I think I had missed some comments up above as well from others, which would have helped me write a more thoughtful and thorough post.) I agree MD did not choose the path of restoration offered, so that would disqualify him from severance or anything that would help even his wife for a time. (Edited to add: there are victims here that have been thrown under the bus, and that is completely wrong. Evergreen Church should be doing more to help the victims.)

If Evergreen Church is getting professional advice on how to deal with all of this, they are not getting good advice. They need help.

Yes, but it was Mark's choice not to remain employed and utilize the "path back" to ordination.  They did not remove his livelihood, rather he chose not to accept their terms.  Plus he's raising financial support for a new ministry.  I do not understand why an abusive unrepentant dishonest pastor who has caused such significant upheaval in a church should receive money from that church when he refused to participate in the restoration they so graciously offered.

I couldn't tell by your comment MovedOn if you think it is legitimate for him to receive severance or not, I'm just explaining why I think it's completely inappropriate.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:27:47 am by MovedOn » Logged
Cult Proof
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 10:00:42 am »

GCC doesn’t seem too concerned about the welfare of the pastors they abused out. The truth of those abuses are still untold and unknown. They were done in secret, other pastors with more integrity were even kept from knowing those abuses. I don’t know how you do that to a guy with 8 kids and sleep at night. I don’t know about other people here but I personally have spent multiple $1000s of my own money to get out from under the ptsd my pastor gave me from his control and his narcissistic abuse cycle. I am healing  but not everyone is so fortunate. The wounds of spiritual abuse go deep and the scar remains. It speaks not of any weakness of the victim but of the cruelty of these leaders.
GodisFaithful
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 07:56:40 am »

I firmly believe that the severance for Mark Darling is the plan of the pastors at Evergreen, and the BOT is there to rubber stamp. Back to business as usual at ECC.
Badger
Private Forum Access
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:13:06 am »

I would be extremely surprised if a non-disclosure or non-disparagement clause was not included in any severance package agreement offered by Evergreen.  My question is whether the NDA or non-disparagement clause(s) in the severance package covers both Mark and Evergreen or just Evergreen.  I'm guessing disparagement and disclosures by Mark against Evergreen would be prohibited in such a contract.

If Mark, and possibly Jeromy, have legal representation, it would surprise me that their counsel wouldn't attempt to make such clauses mutually beneficial - ie. Evergreen would have to not disparage Mark privately or publicly.  How successful Darling's counsel would be at making the clause mutually beneficial is questionable.  However, I wouldn't trust the BOT to not give Darling more than he deserves from a legal and eccumenical perspective
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: