Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:18:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pastor Mark Darling the pastor who discipled me  (Read 7427 times)
Kathman
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:13 pm »

I am new here, following for a few weeks and posting now to share my experience with Evergreen, the Rock, Mark Darling and family. I was in elementary school when my family started attending Evergreen Bloomington. Then Plymouth/New Hope. And Now I attend the Rock.

I can understand why many Mark supporters choose to stay off this site, and to a degree I can understand simply trusting the investigation process to exonerate him. I’ve wrestled with that, with the unprecedented situation we are in and with biblical truth on defending the afflicted, attacked, those being crushed, those not being able to speak for themselves. I believe this is what we are dealing with, if you don’t... call Mark and Kathy. Visit with them, see what I’ve seen. I love them dearly, I love his kids like they were my own brothers and sisters. And I’ve been convicted by 1 John 3:18 Let is not love with words or speech but with action and in truth. 

It’s the speaking truth that will prevent the destruction of Marks name. (And the other wonderful pastors accused here). It’s the truth that (though it will probably not convince those who will choose to argue against his character and my experience) will be available for all those who are processing this, following or even new to our churches and googling Evergreen, The Rock and Mark Darling for the first time.

The biggest voice should not be that of hatred and unfounded claims against our churches and our pastors. It should be of truth, and yes, at times that truth can carry some righteous anger. This whole thing can sadden and anger any of us, but for me to do nothing, to say nothing seems to be the opposite of love in action for my church and my pastor.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, but a brother is born for a time of adversity.

Proverbs 18:24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

I pray the Spirit leads each of you to love in action, however that may look. I pray the Darlings would find reliable help and encouragement amongst friends during this incredibly difficult time.

I’d love to hear the true, noble, right, admirable and praiseworthy. Here’s some of mine:

Mark taught me about selfless love. What that looks like from my savior and what that looks like in my marriage and family. One of my favorite quotes is if you want a great marriage “go home and Die to yourself more”

Mark taught me about passion for the gospel, for the lost. That my priorities should reflect that passion. How I spend my time and live my life should honor God.

He’s taught me fervency in my prayer life, a reflection of my dependence on God.

He’s gently led me in following God’s will for my life. My marriage and our family have been a blessing, the fruits of my life, because of the peace and joy found in setting my plans aside for God’s.

He’s demonstrated a commitment to loving his family and raising his kids well that I hold on to daily as I raise mine.

Mark’s compassion for the sinner (all of us) and helpless. He demonstrated Christ’s love for the broken, the difficult to love. He’s been a tangible example of that for me.

His personal attention to his flock, genuinely caring and remembering the details of our situations, spending hours in prayer for us, encouraging us in our struggles... something I have always admired.

Once when I was discouraged, I sent him an email asking for his prayers. He asked if he could come over the next morning. He took 2.5 hours out of his weekend brought donuts for my young kids and encouraged and prayed with my husband and I. He was moved to tears when he talked about what a blessing and encouragement we are to him. That’s the Mark I know, the selfless love, the devotion to his church, the light in the darkness kind of Christ like love for people.

His voice in our home (through strong disciple) is something my kids respond to with excitedly shouting “is that pastor Mark?!? Yay!!!” They have (on their own) likened him to their wonderful grandparents calling him Grandpa Mark. His warm greeting, care for their lives and love for them is apparent even at their young ages. He loves well, and besides the perfect example of my Lord, Mark is the best human example of selfless love that I have. I’m so grateful for Mark and his family and this amazing church. I give Christ all the glory for using them in my life. It has made all the difference.

#DicipleStrong
Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:25:28 pm »

This was so well worded, and the sentiment of so many.  Thank you for posting this story!!!
jeromydaviddarling
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:44:28 am »

I am new here, following for a few weeks and posting now to share my experience with Evergreen, the Rock, Mark Darling and family. I was in elementary school when my family started attending Evergreen Bloomington. Then Plymouth/New Hope. And Now I attend the Rock.

I can understand why many Mark supporters choose to stay off this site, and to a degree I can understand simply trusting the investigation process to exonerate him. I’ve wrestled with that, with the unprecedented situation we are in and with biblical truth on defending the afflicted, attacked, those being crushed, those not being able to speak for themselves. I believe this is what we are dealing with, if you don’t... call Mark and Kathy. Visit with them, see what I’ve seen. I love them dearly, I love his kids like they were my own brothers and sisters. And I’ve been convicted by 1 John 3:18 Let is not love with words or speech but with action and in truth. 

It’s the speaking truth that will prevent the destruction of Marks name. (And the other wonderful pastors accused here). It’s the truth that (though it will probably not convince those who will choose to argue against his character and my experience) will be available for all those who are processing this, following or even new to our churches and googling Evergreen, The Rock and Mark Darling for the first time.

The biggest voice should not be that of hatred and unfounded claims against our churches and our pastors. It should be of truth, and yes, at times that truth can carry some righteous anger. This whole thing can sadden and anger any of us, but for me to do nothing, to say nothing seems to be the opposite of love in action for my church and my pastor.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, but a brother is born for a time of adversity.

Proverbs 18:24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

I pray the Spirit leads each of you to love in action, however that may look. I pray the Darlings would find reliable help and encouragement amongst friends during this incredibly difficult time.

I’d love to hear the true, noble, right, admirable and praiseworthy. Here’s some of mine:

Mark taught me about selfless love. What that looks like from my savior and what that looks like in my marriage and family. One of my favorite quotes is if you want a great marriage “go home and Die to yourself more”

Mark taught me about passion for the gospel, for the lost. That my priorities should reflect that passion. How I spend my time and live my life should honor God.

He’s taught me fervency in my prayer life, a reflection of my dependence on God.

He’s gently led me in following God’s will for my life. My marriage and our family have been a blessing, the fruits of my life, because of the peace and joy found in setting my plans aside for God’s.

He’s demonstrated a commitment to loving his family and raising his kids well that I hold on to daily as I raise mine.

Mark’s compassion for the sinner (all of us) and helpless. He demonstrated Christ’s love for the broken, the difficult to love. He’s been a tangible example of that for me.

His personal attention to his flock, genuinely caring and remembering the details of our situations, spending hours in prayer for us, encouraging us in our struggles... something I have always admired.

Once when I was discouraged, I sent him an email asking for his prayers. He asked if he could come over the next morning. He took 2.5 hours out of his weekend brought donuts for my young kids and encouraged and prayed with my husband and I. He was moved to tears when he talked about what a blessing and encouragement we are to him. That’s the Mark I know, the selfless love, the devotion to his church, the light in the darkness kind of Christ like love for people.

His voice in our home (through strong disciple) is something my kids respond to with excitedly shouting “is that pastor Mark?!? Yay!!!” They have (on their own) likened him to their wonderful grandparents calling him Grandpa Mark. His warm greeting, care for their lives and love for them is apparent even at their young ages. He loves well, and besides the perfect example of my Lord, Mark is the best human example of selfless love that I have. I’m so grateful for Mark and his family and this amazing church. I give Christ all the glory for using them in my life. It has made all the difference.

#DicipleStrong

Bump.
JessicaNoelDarling
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:42:48 pm »

#DicipleStrong

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: