Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:48:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing God's Voice  (Read 16515 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: August 09, 2017, 07:15:02 pm »

HEARING GOD'S VOICE

When I first became a believer in Christ, I sweetly recall having such satisfying and personal times with God.  But, after many months in GCx I remember loosing confidence in my relationship with Him.  What sadness that brings me.  I felt I hadn't done enough "godly works" to have a good audience with him.  In fact, I too often thought he was so disappointed with me.  So, I wasn't usually certain whether God was speaking to me.  I already had my mental GCx list of what pleased God so I didn't pay attention to much outside of that.  Boy, did I miss a lot!!  I especially missed his guiding me away from their teaching and their "authority".  After I left, I started SEEING the verses he kept highlighting to me formed a repititive theme.  He basically told me leave them, over and over.  He told me this party was destroying my faith.  I just didn't get WHO it was that was confusing me because I was deafened by their false teaching.

In GCx, we were not encouraged to personally hear from and follow God's voice.  This became obvious when it included near anything outside the church's goals, plans, and schedule.  If there was something the church told you to pray about, you were strongly encouraged to seek counsel on those things from a leader or an elder.  When it differed, guess who we were told was "really hearing" from God?  Why seek God when there is a higher power?  Why ask Him when their are those who are "closer" to God than you are?

So we thought.     But, we were brainwashed.     They were DANGEROUSLY....WRONG.

If you desire to relearn how to enjoy His satisfying and comforting voice, then you might enjoy part or all of this series.  This is one refreshing and sound voice on God's Word.  I have been made stronger through some of this teacher's encouragement and empowerment.  Below is his series on Hearing God's voice.  The title is "Frequency":

http://www.theblessedlife.com/series/frequency

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:22:36 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
iamnotafraid
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:35:44 pm »

That is super sad.  Who were these people treating you this way?  Time and time again when I have brought my "spiritual productivity" so to speak to Mark or Karl at my church, The Rock - they tell me how proud they are of me.  They encourage me in the Word, that the Lord sees my heart and guide me to the character of God.  He is patient, understanding, loving...Were these pastors at your church or attendees?  Were these your small group leaders?  What were your churches goals and plans?  I've been a member of my church for over 15 years.  I have not been in leadership or a ministry for over 7 years and no one has challenged me about involvement.  I've had health challenges and have not been able to attend as often as I would like but every time I do come people greet me warmly.  I'm sad you had such a hard experience in your church.  I can attest, they are not all like that.
iamnotafraid
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 10:56:28 am »

Janet, we had a similar experience at a GCC church in Minneapolis. Glad we are free from it now, and we have forgiven those who hurt us. For years I couldn’t understand what was missing and why I consistently felt burnt out, depressed, and felt my relationship with God had become nothing more than a bunch of rituals and rules. I turned out there was this Person I never knew and welcomed into my life when I became a beleiever. Our Helper, Comforter, Healer, and Friend. The God I never knew was called The Holy Spirit. He led us out and into a church where He is everything the leaders had become at our old church. Our chains of bondage, strict legalism, and spiritual conformity with others our gone and healed. A local counselor who has helped hundreds of former GCCers in the Twim Cities explained it really well to me. He said that church is essentially a Christian “birthing center.” Let me explain. It’s a great place to become a new baby Christian and develop habits that are essential to having a good Christian life, like reading your Bible daily, developing a prayer life, and engaging with others and serving others in a small group. Once you “grow up” into maturity though actual biblical exegesis is pretty slim there, mainly with sermons about personal opinions with scripture that is pulled out to fit them, such as verses on women not preaching, leading, or pastoring, obeying and submitting to man, etc.. Over 70 plus people had left and from speaking with many they too had similar experiences. There was like two different worlds because some (and I praise God) had and are having very good experiences like Iamnotafriad speaks about. I only bring write this after someone said spiritual abuse does not exist anywhere in the Bible (another example of some of the prideful attitudes we came across)

Mark was always very nice and kind to us anytime I spoke with him, and we developed what we thought were authentic friendships but after we left essentially we were dropped. We never let Mark counsel us either becaus I was always told growing up to set healthy boundries with Pastors especially very personal matters that should be handled by educated Christian counselors if needed. We did however hear directly from couples who did let Mark into their personal life too far and it was not good. Any sexual or behavioral sin committed by the husband was ALWAYS blamed on the wife for either “being on her period, having a illness, or having a “rough past.” I’m not saying that makes Mark guilty of what’s been happening to him by any means, and the whole situation breaks my heart what this must be doing to his very sweet wife, his kind children, and him personally. I pray for everyone daily and like I said we have forgiven and still love them because scripture comands me to love those who are in Christ Jesus. My point is pastors shouldn’t develop a “savior” type mentality and feel they have the authority to know intimate details of couple or a individuals life.

Here's where these kind of posts upset my spirit. Your experience with leadership at The Rock was fine, right? Why did you burn out though? Were you involved in multiple ministries? Was your wife? Then a friend of yours came to you giving you one side of their story (you don't have Mark's side here though this very well could have been Greg who gave your friends counsel) and then you conclude its a fact. I have spoken to Mark at least 5 times since I've been married, regarding some personal things in my marriage. Not only has he been very kind and compassionate, he has pointed out lovingly to my husband when he has been in the wrong for not leading in love and a more understanding way. My husband has deeply appreciated that loving feedback. I'm sure it's been hard for him to hear but he loves and respects Mark and knows his heart is always to build us up. He's encouraged us to pray together, which has helped our marriage a lot! I understand people coming on here to share a personal experience. I respect that person and that story even more when they share that they tried to make things right with their friends at their church. I do not like when people post, "someone told me Mark said," or after we left we were told (that is gossip) or my cousin wrote about this person from GCC in a book report and he was evil.
Godtrumpsall
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:05:53 pm »

I’m sorry but we’re not gossiping. If the person who’ve I’ve known for many years and who’s character I know to be one of honesty had this happened directly to them, and they shared their experience that’s not gossiping. That’s like saying that because I can’t go to Jesus directly and ask Him if He really did die on the cross but because I “heard” it from the disciples it must be gossip. Just like the deciples had no reason to lie because they were eye witnesses, neither did our friends. I can also say that that’s why it’s hard for me to believe what mark is accused of to be true because of the character I know him to have from the time I knew him, but I wasn’t there at that time and I’m not Suzanne so I can’t know what she went through. We can agree to disagree I guess and I truly mean no harm or hurt like I said this whole thing is truly devistaing for everyone. I won’t be commenting any further, as just like when we would bring up concerns and told the same thing (“it’s your heart that hard”) being told I’m just a gossip is bringing up too many of the same hurts I had before we left.

Grace and peace,
Fellow brother or sister

Well is just so happens that the Word of God has plenty to say about gossip (like... A LOT).  So if we were questioning what gossip is or isnt, the bible answers that pretty clearly, no twisting of scripture.  Could someone not read these verses and feel convicted by the holy spirit?  Can you read this and still say the forum is righteous and healing?  Do you not trust God enough, that through prayer, that He has the power to deal appropriately with those that are false teachers, as many of you claim?  God will bring clarity to what is true and what is false.   

2 Corinthians 12:20 New International Version (NIV)
20 For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.

Ephesians 4:29 New International Version (NIV)
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Exodus 23:1 New International Version (NIV)
Laws of Justice and Mercy
23 “Do not spread false reports. Do not help a guilty person by being a malicious witness.

James 1:26 New International Version (NIV)
26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

James 4:11 New International Version (NIV)
11 Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister[a] or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.

Leviticus 19:16 New International Version (NIV)
16 “‘Do not go about spreading slander among your people.

“‘Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the Lord.

Proverbs 10:18 New International Version (NIV)
18 Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips
    and spreads slander is a fool.

Proverbs 11:13 New International Version (NIV)
13 A gossip betrays a confidence,
    but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.

Proverbs 16:28 New International Version (NIV)
28 A perverse person stirs up conflict,
    and a gossip separates close friends.

Proverbs 17:9 New International Version (NIV)
9 Whoever would foster love covers over an offense,
    but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

Proverbs 18:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
    they go down to the inmost parts.

Proverbs 18:21 New International Version (NIV)
21 The tongue has the power of life and death,
    and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Proverbs 20:19 New International Version (NIV)
19 A gossip betrays a confidence;
    so avoid anyone who talks too much.

Proverbs 26:20 New International Version (NIV)
20 Without wood a fire goes out;
    without a gossip a quarrel dies down.

Psalm 34:13 New International Version (NIV)
13 keep your tongue from evil
    and your lips from telling lies.

Psalm 41:7 New International Version (NIV)
7 All my enemies whisper together against me;
    they imagine the worst for me, saying,

Psalm 141:3 New International Version (NIV)
3 Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;
    keep watch over the door of my lips.

Proverbs 18:6-7 New International Version (NIV)
6 The lips of fools bring them strife,
    and their mouths invite a beating.

7 The mouths of fools are their undoing,
    and their lips are a snare to their very lives.

1 Timothy 5:13-14 New International Version (NIV)
13 Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also busybodies who talk nonsense, saying things they ought not to. 14 So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander.

1 Timothy 3:9-11 New International Version (NIV)
9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons.

11 In the same way, the women[a] are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.

Proverbs 26:20-22 New International Version (NIV)
20 Without wood a fire goes out;
    without a gossip a quarrel dies down.
21 As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire,
    so is a quarrelsome person for kindling strife.
22 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;
    they go down to the inmost parts.

Romans 1:29-32 New International Version (NIV)
29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Titus 2:2-5 New International Version (NIV)
2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.

3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

Matthew 7 New International Version (NIV)
Judging Others
7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Psalm 50:19-23 New International Version (NIV)
19 You use your mouth for evil
    and harness your tongue to deceit.
20 You sit and testify against your brother
    and slander your own mother’s son.
21 When you did these things and I kept silent,
    you thought I was exactly[a] like you.
But I now arraign you
    and set my accusations before you.

22 “Consider this, you who forget God,
    or I will tear you to pieces, with no one to rescue you:
23 Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me,
    and to the blameless I will show my salvation.”

Proverbs 19:9 New International Version (NIV)
9 A false witness will not go unpunished,
    and whoever pours out lies will perish.

Proverbs 12:22 New International Version (NIV)
22 The Lord detests lying lips,
    but he delights in people who are trustworthy.

roverbs 11:9 New International Version (NIV)
9 With their mouths the godless destroy their neighbors,
    but through knowledge the righteous escape

Ephesians 4:25 New International Version (NIV)
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.

1 Peter 3:16 English Standard Version (ESV)
16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 08:51:45 pm »

Former LGBTQers Hear Him

Former LGBTQers stand at the capital one year ago to testify CHANGE IS POSSIBLE if you don’t want to be gay anymore.  Their stories are SO inspiring. They need to be heard around the world. They talk about where their power to change came from.  This is one “stand” you may not want to miss. Praise You, God.

https://youtu.be/v--BuHXVA70
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 08:53:22 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: