Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:35:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's just a word  (Read 6108 times)
Linda
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: October 05, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »

I was checking out the latest satire at Lark News and came upon this phony article about a youth pastor dropping the f-bomb to engage unsaved and rebellious youth. It would have struck me as "over the top ridiculous satire" had this not happened at a GC high school retreat attended by a child of mine.

I wonder how many parents knew when they forked over the money and sent their high school students to a "Christian" retreat in a different state that the leader, in this case Mark Darling, would use the f-bomb? I learned about this many years after the fact. It is astonishing to me that nothing was done about this. In a church with any accountability at all among the leadership, there would have been instant disciplinary action against the leader who demonstrated such lack of discernment (most likely immediate firing) and a correction and apology would be made to the students and parents for such a betrayal of confidence. But, as we all know, GC churches are not normal churches and talk as they might, there is no accountability. Anything goes.

That said, enjoy the article!

http://www.larknews.com/october_2008/secondary.php?page=2

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:21:58 pm »

How ironic.  Thanks for the link.

Glad to be free.
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:10:53 pm »

I did see the article.   I can understand what the youth pastor was trying.  Nice try. Needless to say it backfired.  Was there ever a tape of the Darling sermon on profanity?  

The credibility of the Lark News site  might be a bit iffy.   I had to laugh at the misinformation. The article was on  Christian radio stations repeat material years behind.   Lester Roloff and J Vernon McGee sermons are still aired years after the preachers' deaths.  Unfortunately this comment was quite interesting:  

changing the pitch of a previous minister’s voice. For example, after the death of Christian radio personality Martin Wyse, Wyse’s old shows were digitally manipulated to give him a Scottish brogue, resulting in the creation of Alistair Begg, who does not actually exist.

To the editor I wrote:

That is very interesting.  So what you are telling me is that I do not not attend Parkside Church in Bainbridge, OH  whose Senior Pastor is Alistair Begg.  I do not attend the 0830 service.  The website
www.parksidechurch.com  is a facade and there is not  an actual building near Geagua Lake  Park?  The Truth for Life Broadcast series on James last week was edited from services I attended from were from spring of  2007.

I guess I must be seriously deluded that I am not working on an event next weekend for TFL listeners.

I understand the tape loop.  Lester Roloff and J Vernon McGee have been gone for years  but the tapes do drone on. I understand that whole heartedly.  The general thesis of the article is quite sound.  However, with apologies to  Mark Twain, rumors of an aparation of Alistair Begg have been greatly exaggerated.

Unfortunately I failed to run a spell check, so my credibility may be found wonting. The Larks have a point.  This was back in the days when TV stations signed off around  2AM after the Late Show Movies.  My father was notorious  for falling asleep with the TV on.  I walked into the Living Room  to shut off the idiot box.  I noticed the obligatory  sermonette came on  prior to sign off with "Our National Anthem" and the Indian Head Test pattern.  The preacher looked oddly familiar.  It was an old faded Black and White tape which had seen better days.  It was the minister emeritus of the church was I was going to in High School.  It was in the heyday of his ministry --  and he had hair.    Sorry for the rabbit trail, but I could not resist.  BTW,  I am not dating myself, am I?

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
Linda

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:12:12 am »

Just to clarify, Lark News is a satire site. Everything is made up. None of it is true.

Unfortunately, sometimes the things they write are so spot on that they seem like they are real.

I don't know if the infamous Darling message was ever taped. Wouldn't that be fun to listen to. I know there are some posting on this site who were there.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
exshep
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 09:22:44 pm »

Quote from: "Linda"
Just to clarify, Lark News is a satire site. Everything is made up. None of it is true.

Unfortunately, sometimes the things they write are so spot on that they seem like they are real.

I don't know if the infamous Darling message was ever taped. Wouldn't that be fun to listen to. I know there are some posting on this site who were there.

I realized I got April Fooled.  I decided to play the straight  and let it go at that.  :wink:

Had friend in Columbus church 80's and 90s. Member left in 1993  Involved GC in Texas  2005-2007.  Empathy to both  with  positive and negative aspects.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: