Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:35:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teaching women theology to teach other women more effectively article  (Read 3750 times)
Mr. Toad
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:02 am »

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/thabitianyabwile/2011/01/06/im-a-complementarian-but-women-must-be-taught-and-they-must-teach/

The above article responds well to RW comments about women, "If they delve into theology I am concerned." 

Theology is a part of all that we do as men as well as women. Women would do well to strengthen their understanding of God(their theology) to more effectively accomplish all that our Father has given them to do.  To diminish this role of women is to weaken the church

(from the above article link)
"We must envision a church filled with well-taught women because we need a church full of women who in turn teach.
To fulfill the Great Commission women must teach.

This is  where the angst begins for my complementarian brothers who care about being faithful to the Bible’s ordering of our congregations and worship.  Part of the problem, however, stems from opting to protect male leadership by severely limiting the ministry of the word by women.  Which reveals another problem we sometimes face: a narrow understanding of “the ministry of the word” as pulpit ministry only."

"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

-Ratty, from Wind in the Willows
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:36:47 am »

Good points. I mean, even if women choose to stay at home as wives and mothers, don't they need a good theological foundation so they can raise their children in the faith? When I was at GC, it was taught that motherhood would deliver women from the fate of never having a teaching ministry. (1 Timothy 2:12-15) I'm not sure how this is supposed to work if women are discouraged from grappling with doctrine.

On the topic of complementarians, it should be noted that many gifted women speakers hold to complementarian views: Joni Tada, Janet Parshall, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Elizabeth Elliot. Speaking of the latter, is there even one GC leader who even comes close to her level of wisdom and credibility? Or what about the late Corrie ten Boom? What sermon have I ever heard by Herschel Martindale or Dennis Clark that could inspire the sort of faith Corrie's testimony inspired? It's not that she taught doctrine, but that a thorough understanding of doctrine infused everything she did or said. If our faith isn't founded on a right understanding of God, and a right understanding of man's relationship to God, then we have nothing useful to offer the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: