Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:26:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of new stuff!  (Read 13905 times)
puff of purple smoke
Administrator
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: December 16, 2008, 10:38:50 pm »

Larry Pile has provided a slew of documents in addition to Marching To Zion (now online), and many of these have been digitized and put up on GCxWeb, including:

"The Excommunication of Bill Taylor" audio transcript

General letter from former leaders of GCI to concerned people and groups by Lawrence A. Pile, Tony Castro, M. Div., M. S., David F. Cook, Paul R. Martin, Ph.D., David Munday, Bill Taylor and others

Bill Taylor letter of rebuke to Hershel Martindale

Larry Pile Letter describing issues with the movement

Lifton's Thought Reform Applied To GCI by Barbara Lloyd

There have also been some other small changes. More documents may be coming soon, so stay tuned!
Linda

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:48:02 am »

That Bill Taylor letter to HM was excellent.

I read the excommunication transcript of BT. It was very disturbing. He wasn't even there as he was being removed--totally violating Matthew 18 (had he been truly sinning). But, his "sin" was faction because he dared to question the doctrine of unity. A teaching. Doctrine.

I guess to GC, if someone teaches something that is fasle (ie, they say the church is their bride), anyone who tries to correct them is guilty of "faction" and since "listening to a bad report" is also excommunicable, no false teaching can ever be corrected. Reading this just gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Unbelievable. I had no idea.

Bill, if you read this forum, thanks for taking the first hit. You did the right thing. I'm sorry about the way you were treated. The only ones guilty of faction in this story appear to be the GC leaders who didn't mind getting together and giving a "bad report" about you. It's wicked.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Linda

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:28:53 am »

I just discovered the Larry Pile letter. Excellent. Here's a part that resonated with me (even though it brings Hitler into the argument!)
Quote from: Larry Pile
The prevalent attitude being fostered in Columbus seems to find its precedent in the Nuremberg Trials, where Nazi war criminals defended themselves by saying, "I was only following orders!" This attitude clearly expresses the notion of "unity at all costs--even at the cost of truth and justice," or "my elders, right or wrong!" I cannot accept the idea that it can ever be right to sacrifice truth for the sake of unity--what kind of unity is that? That's the kind of unity enjoyed by every cult! Truth thrives only in an atmosphere of openness and honesty. Truth liberates, it does not bind (John 8:32). I really fear for a church that has come to the point where it forbids the voicing and consideration of differing views, or where it refuses to listen to men of other churches or groups because of some fear that these men might poison the minds of its members with ideas that do not fully correspond to those of the local leadership. ...My fears continue to grow.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:54:47 am »

Quote from: Linda
I just discovered the Larry Pile letter. Excellent. Here's a part that resonated with me (even though it brings Hitler into the argument!)
Quote from: Larry Pile
The prevalent attitude being fostered in Columbus seems to find its precedent in the Nuremberg Trials, where Nazi war criminals defended themselves by saying, "I was only following orders!" This attitude clearly expresses the notion of "unity at all costs--even at the cost of truth and justice," or "my elders, right or wrong!" I cannot accept the idea that it can ever be right to sacrifice truth for the sake of unity--what kind of unity is that? That's the kind of unity enjoyed by every cult! Truth thrives only in an atmosphere of openness and honesty. Truth liberates, it does not bind (John 8:32). I really fear for a church that has come to the point where it forbids the voicing and consideration of differing views, or where it refuses to listen to men of other churches or groups because of some fear that these men might poison the minds of its members with ideas that do not fully correspond to those of the local leadership. ...My fears continue to grow.
Yeah, that is expressed very nicely. I was just telling someone last night, after reading something of his, about how well Larry communicates.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:00:05 pm »

Merry Christmas to me!!!!  Thanks Lil Puffy!  You rock!

Glad to be free.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:07:24 pm »

A few additional documents added tonight:
AFFIDAVIT OF OCCASIONS of Approach to Jim McCotter and Other Leaders of Great Commission International on the Basis of Matthew 18:15-17 Concerning Disagreement and/or Sin by Larry Pile

AN ACCOUNT OF MY ATTEMPTS TO FOLLOW MATTHEW 18 IN REGARDS TO VARIOUS ISSUES & CONFLICTS WITH J. McCOTTER AND THE LEADERSHIP OF THE AMES FELLOWSHIP CHURCH by Paul R. Martin
G_Prince

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:18:46 pm »

Puff,

Just spent three hours on gxcweb.org. This site is hot! Great Layout! Incredible resources! Excellent work! Bravo. Thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into the forum, the old gcmwarning, and now the new site.

I bet GCx really wishes they hadn't pissed you off.  :lol:

Here's an easy way to find out if you're in a cult. If you find yourself asking the question, "am I in a cult?" the answer is yes. -Stephen Colbert
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:10:39 am »

I read quite a bit that brought many memories back to light. I was one of those people that left money on Jim McCotter's doorstep in Ames. ( not much as we didn't have much to give. I was married and had a child and has quit college to earn $1.90/hr as a janitor so I could be free to evangelize the dorms.)

I recognized how the emotions I felt and feel are not connected with the reality of the situation then. What I feel now is some sort of nostalgia, and I don't have any real animosity for the people who led me or sorrow for what I did or didn't do.

I am over it. thankfully. time and distance can provide that closure and detachment if you let it.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 06:11:01 pm »

Also added:
Letter From Michael Royal to Pastor Mike Braun

There was also a Jim McCotter related newspaper article that was linked incorrectly that has been fixed:
The Mysterious Citizen On Sale Now
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:13:05 pm »

The article "The Other Side of Discipleship by Larry Pile" used to be on GCMWarning and was not relocated to GCxWeb.Org, so it is now there. There is also a GCxWeb editor's note at a certain point where Larry is discussing GCI and McCotter but doesn't mention them by name in the article, which the editor's note now mentions.
puff of purple smoke
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »

Okay, a TON of new stuff covering all sorts of topics. I will list it below in no particular order. Most of it was added today, some of it previously but not announced until now.

Letter From Bob LaForge to Elders of Great Commission International (This is a letter to GCI elders from the guy who wrote one of the Apostleship rebuttals.)
Choosing a Church After a Paintful Experience by Larry Pile
Thought Reform in Cults and Abusive Relationships by Larry Pile and Ron Burks
Dispelling the Myths by Dr. Paul R. Martin
The Making of a Cult Counselor by Larry Pile
Invasion '85: The Targets (list of places targeted during Invasion '85)
Questionaire For Great Commission International (GCI) by Mike Royal
Apology & Discussion of Affair by Steve Bush
An open letter to Jim McCotter from Ken Nicholson (This letter was posted before but never on the site. By the way, I have Ken's contact information if anyone is interested.)
2008 US (GCC) Church Directory (Tom M. from GCM was going to get us this list but never did, so here it is without his help.)
2006 US (GCM) Church Directory (Same as above, but for GCM churches. A few years old.)
Great Commotion International Excommunication Letter This is satire with an explanation by Larry Pile.
Jim McCotter "Slander" Comic This is more satire with another explanation by Larry Pile
wynter

« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:11:30 am »

Huh?54.8BettBettJumpAmelLeonSimoHuh?Huh?BabyProvHuh?Huh?ZORLEmilHuh?CONSHuh?ElecLancWindStas
JeweDigiLounGeneWindSonySeduSOCOMickMika(190ArthHuh?ScenHypeHuh?Huh?MaryNokiMickReadHuh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?KaraPeteHuh?1279SporHuh?ChriXIIIIronElegMornRalpAbbaHuh?UnivHuh?Wesl(HuhAudiNighHuh?
EtniLoviFromMaciWindWindHuh?WindGiusWindHuh?RidlTimoHave01-2Huh?SlimHuh?Huh?RuyaCocaBonuPedr
Huh?SlamSwee03-0RHTLGoffWalkApplTjarPlayKaspAlexRola?'??ClifPerfHuh?Huh?PockAlieBonuVideIyen
TereBronHuh?SonyHuh?MagiElecBekoMoviHuh?BigbfutuYC-WFM46Huh?Huh?OlmeEdmiBELLBlauSigmHuh?Fusi
GrouHuh?7108PaulHuh?Huh?CombWindHuh?ExtrLEGOTefaChouFranHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?LoseHuh?Body
Huh?Huh?(190AcadHuh?hepaHuh?Huh-Huh?Huh?Huh?TrueHuh?PrisYourHuh?Huh?CariMartXXVIDaviPaloRudy
steaHuh?Huh?MPLSBudeHuh?Huh?VitaHuh?Huh?Huh?IntrSonymixuHuh?RiosHuh?BeatHuh?LouiHuh?SonySony
SonyHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?BranHuh?Huh?TurnIggyHuh?Huh?tuchkasHuh?oald
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: