Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:12:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: re: More Sex phrases from GCC  (Read 35948 times)
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: April 06, 2008, 07:30:06 am »

My husband remembered this morning that Brent Knox told a group of guys (he was one of them) that an orgasm was nothing more than a sneeze.  This was after he was married to Mary.

We now have fun with that quote!!
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:52:51 am »

Hmmm.  Weird.

Glad to be free.
lone gone
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 10:18:05 am »

I once knew Brent Knox. I knew him as a passionate, articulate,excited speaker.

But if the intent of Brent's phrase was to illustrate a quality of sex, then I can possibly conclude that Brent was not that excited about sex. No matter his personality, it could well be that he wasn't interested in sex. His own sex-drive may have been low.  

Marriages can be destroyed by misunderstanding this most intimate of human drives. Not everyone was created equal. Spouses who have different levels of interest, and who impose their own level of interest on their spouse, can unwittingly do great harm.

Teachers who unwittingly impose their own level of interest on their students can be just as harmful.
unsubscribed
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:11:59 pm »

OK, all I gotta say is allergy season must be a big problem for this man!!!
unsubscribed (laughing my head off)
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »

I've mentioned this one before but a pastor at a marriage conference said, "After I met my wife for the first time, I had an erection for a year."

Also there was a conference when a pastor said that when you are intimate with your spouse you should pray that God will help you please your husband or wife.  For some reason that just struck me as odd.  

Also once we were in a small group at a conference and a woman said to her husband, "Honey I commit to having sex with you everyday!"

Glad to be free.
Immortal_Raven
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:53:15 am »

Nothing more than a sneeze?  Personally, I will say an orgasm feels much better than a sneeze.  Marriage is defined in the Bible with many descriptions.  One of those is that a husband and wife become one flesh.  To me that always meant that sex was equally beneficial for both parties, not a sneeze.

I vaguely remember Mark Darling speaking at a conference about five years ago.  Some of the things he said included, "90% of the ladies in here will never have a real orgasm."  It left me dumbstruck.  I had two thoughts.  Is it true?  Where does this guy get his information?

-Immortal_Raven

"They gave you lies, and in return you gave them hell."-Tears for Fears
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -unknown
Linda

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:07:45 am »

I am so glad I never went to a marriage conference. Cheesy

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
theresearchpersona

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 03:01:01 pm »

Quote from: "AgathaL'Orange"
I've mentioned this one before but a pastor at a marriage conference said, "After I met my wife for the first time, I had an erection for a year."

Adulterous heart... : (  Sounds like the sickos Paul warned about.

Also there was a conference when a pastor said that when you are intimate with your spouse you should pray that God will help you please your husband or wife.  For some reason that just struck me as odd.

From several of these comments it sounds as if the pastors have marital (intimacy) problems; I'd comment but I'm not married yet and so (for now) reserve comment until I can speak from experience.

Also once we were in a small group at a conference and a woman said to her husband, "Honey I commit to having sex with you everyday!"

Unless it just gets mundane...lucky guy. : )  But seriously...that's between husband and wife and I don't think we should be airing that kind of laundry; it's not dirty laundry, but it is private laundry; I'm sure glad women don't go around wearing lingerie.
unsubscribed
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »

But seriously...that's between husband and wife and I don't think we should be airing that kind of laundry; it's not dirty laundry, but it is private laundry

Well......I don't think any of these things were said in private, honestly, I wish they were. I think there are a lot of sexually screwed up ideas floating around these gc pastors, they should just keep them to themselves. A young man I know received pre-marriage counseling from his pastor in a private session away from his finance.  The pastor  told this young man that after 10 years he would get bored with his wife and wonder what sex is like with other women.  needless to say he declined further counsel.  Why would this pastor teach that  marital fidelity is a burden and that it will take great strength and willpower to maintain. I just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
theresearchpersona

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:42:56 pm »

Sickos I'm telling you; TO YOU GC "PASTORS" WHO THINK/TEACH THIS STUFF...RESIGN NOW FOR YOU OWN GOOD AND FOR THOSE "UNDER" YOU.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 05:31:43 pm »

Yeah, it was not just between them... that's what made it so uncomfortable.  My husband and I just sort of sat there and laughed uncomfortably thinking TMI TMI!

Glad to be free.
steelgirl
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 07:15:37 pm »

Quote from: "unsubscribed"
But seriously...that's between husband and wife and I don't think we should be airing that kind of laundry; it's not dirty laundry, but it is private laundry

Well......I don't think any of these things were said in private, honestly, I wish they were. I think there are a lot of sexually screwed up ideas floating around these gc pastors, they should just keep them to themselves. A young man I know received pre-marriage counseling from his pastor in a private session away from his finance.  The pastor  told this young man that after 10 years he would get bored with his wife and wonder what sex is like with other women.  needless to say he declined further counsel.  Why would this pastor teach that  marital fidelity is a burden and that it will take great strength and willpower to maintain. I just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

I recall one of the pastors at the campus area church going too much into detail about the wedding night.  I was turning a tomato.

I can tell you some other things that made me uncomfortable, but I am not sure how to go about it without possibly revealing my identity.  All accept it involved newlyweds and the husband was giving TMI about those marital priviledges.  His buddy was making light of it.
unsubscribed
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 07:15:45 pm »

an orgasm was nothing more than a sneeze.

Mark Darling speaking at a conference about five years ago. Some of the things he said included, "90% of the ladies in here will never have a real orgasm."

Hmm...do you suppose these two "teachings" could have something to do with each other?

Unsubscribed
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 05:33:58 am »

Were the people who had these dysfunctional views from GC arranged marriages?

Glad to be free.
Immortal_Raven
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 06:48:20 am »

Oooh, very good question/insight.  I would be inclined to think yes.  Another thought about sex for GC churches I had was that a wife was there to please her husband sexually, not the other way around.  No one ever said it out loud, but that's the impression I got from several leaders as well as Mark Darling's talk.  So much for mutual gratification and spousal intimacy.  THere are exceptions, but that seemed to be the underlying tone about marital sex.

-Immortal_Raven

AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:14:03 am »

That's interesting about the women pleasing men.  There was sermon after sermon about how women wanted to have sex so much less than men.  But that's silly.  I mean, sure I'm sure that's true (it certainly is a stereotype we hear a lot), but hello... women have other issues going on here!  I really do not wish to get into that, but if you were in an "old school" GC church... um, you probably didn't use a lot of birth control... and well, maybe those women just didn't feel like getting pregnant right then!

I got so freaking sick of that kind of pressure to be some GC, idealized, submissive, always willing, always servile, always quiet, only helping out with the children kind of person.  Especially when my husband didn't even WANT that kind of woman!  So even if my only goal in life was to submit to my husband, well then I couldn't very well follow what GC said about me.

And actually that really makes me mad to think of it, because those are ALL personality traits... not necessarily character traits spelled out in the Bible.  So where did they get off encouraging women to be this way.

Even now, I could walk in and instantly put on the acceptable persona with the correct speech, the correct behavior, and the correct service roles.  Makes me sick that I could be such a chameleon!  It took several years to realize who I really am!

Glad to be free.
Immortal_Raven
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:14 pm »

I got to thinking about the always, servile, willing, obedient, submissive wife thing a bit.  One thing I noticed in there is that married women were not supposed to have real jobs.  They could teach piano lessons or weave baskets, but a regular job was discouraged.  This bugged me because the church was in a college town and many of the women went there to get a degree.  Now that they've spent all that money on earning a degree, they're expected to just stay home and have tons of children instead of using what they had worked so hard for.

As a man, I can understand the need to provide for your family and be the sole bread-winner, but that's still an archaic way of thought.  For me, I'd like to earn enough money for my wife to be able to stay home with our future children if she wants to.  But if she wants to work and use her education, I'm fine with that too.  I will be taking a picture of my wife barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, but that's purely for posterity and humorous purposes.

The ideal GC woman is just not equipped to handle anything.  She just defers to her husband for everything.  What happens if he dies, or gets deployed, or leaves her for whatever reason?  She's basically sunk.

-Immortal_Raven

steelgirl
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 02:47:38 pm »

Quote from: "Immortal_Raven"
I got to thinking about the always, servile, willing, obedient, submissive wife thing a bit.  One thing I noticed in there is that married women were not supposed to have real jobs.  They could teach piano lessons or weave baskets, but a regular job was discouraged.  This bugged me because the church was in a college town and many of the women went there to get a degree.  Now that they've spent all that money on earning a degree, they're expected to just stay home and have tons of children instead of using what they had worked so hard for.

As a man, I can understand the need to provide for your family and be the sole bread-winner, but that's still an archaic way of thought.  For me, I'd like to earn enough money for my wife to be able to stay home with our future children if she wants to.  But if she wants to work and use her education, I'm fine with that too.  I will be taking a picture of my wife barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, but that's purely for posterity and humorous purposes.

The ideal GC woman is just not equipped to handle anything.  She just defers to her husband for everything.  What happens if he dies, or gets deployed, or leaves her for whatever reason?  She's basically sunk.

I think I know of a present day case that did not make sense.  I wonder if there was pressure for one of my old friends to work even though there might be a major logistical issue, so his wife could stay home and take care of the children, perhaps pressure from the church.  Heck with the fact I heard her culinary skills lacked something to be desire while he had more developed culinary skills.  I won't go into the logistics of the situation.  I assume their happy, but it just did not make sense.  If you are interested please private me.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 04:19:34 pm »

My favorite state is barefoot, pregnant

And in the hammock!!! Cheesy

Glad to be free.
Neverbeengcm
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:49:40 am »

I just now read this post for the first time today. I am still laughing!!!

They say ignorance is bliss. I cannot imagine a worse sex counselor or sex educator than a GC pastor.  I pitty the poor kids who get all of their information about sex from these incompetent morons. God bless them all in their ignorant blissful existence.

In an insane society, the sane man must appear insane.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: