Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:28:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Short Wikipedia Article  (Read 16562 times)
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: November 27, 2007, 12:49:37 pm »

On Tom Short's wiki article, there's a reference to him commenting that women are sluts and whores.  It's well known that Tom will make outlandish statements in order to stimulate conversation and interest, but did he really say that?  Even in jest, such a statement says a lot about the opinion GCx has of women.

I should think that any young woman would want to know not only about GC's outdated and draconian attitudes regarding women, but also that a member of the GC "board of oversight" considers her a slut and a whore, prior to making a "lifelong commitment to her local church."

Here's the quote from the article, emphasis mine:

In 1985, Short's ministry was criticized when campus religious leaders at the Towson State University became concerned over reports of GCI's 'mind control' techniques and fundamentalist ties. Short's ministry in particular was criticized by Father Bob Albright, Towson University's Catholic Campus minister, who stated:

"All religious groups are set up to minister to humanity and not the other way around. Yet from our observations about New Life, they came to this campus seeking people to fill their ranks. … He [Tom Short] was referring to girls as sluts and whores and he presumed every guy to be drinking and sleeping around … We've invited New Life to meet with the campus ministry staff and they've never accepted. If someone is Christian and they don't want to be involved, that leaves a question in your mind."

Om, shanti.
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:27:24 pm »

I've spent a good deal of time with Tom, and I know his daughter and son-in-law both personally.  I highly doubt that he would use that kind of language.  My guess is that there is some kind of confusion.  There have been days where he's been on campus with sincerely crazy preachers, who do use that kind of language.  "Brother Jeb", for example, calls women "snakes" and "whores" commonly, and they have similar campus rotation schedules.

The "Hitler" thing was a mis-communication as well, but that's another story.
Daisy
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

While I was a member of my GC church, in 2003, I heard Tom Short was to be on our local campus.  I met with a non-believer friend of mine for coffee the week he was on campus, she said that she had been completely offended by the only preacher on campus preaching that week.  She had been walking past him to get to class, when he called another girl walking near her a slut.  My friend was disgusted and said that this was why she couldn't stand people who so publicly proclaimed themselves to be Christian.

I was close friends with several people who were being raised up as pastors, church leaders and staffers. On and off I heard these friends talk about GC tactics used to draw crowds.  One was to say things that were quite "controversial" in order to draw crowds.  Some of the examples included accusing pass-byers of different crimes, as murder for hating someone in their heart, and prostitutes, assuming everyone sins in lust.  (The assumption was that any word used by Jesus to describe a sinner was a good thing to accuse someone of, because Jesus said that an action was not necessary to sin, only the thought of an action.)  One of my friends who now runs the campus ministry at my church was being trained specifically in "campus preaching" which included provoking people in passing in order to draw a crowd or offend enough to get them to stay in lieu of going to class.  Even better was to get a "heckler", or someone that might openly argue passionately with you, so that your confrontation may attract the attention of people passing through and allow you speak more "truth" about how sinful everyone in the audience is.  The whole thing made me uncomfortable and even embarrassed; I made sure to avoid Tom Short on my campus and pretended to know nothing about the "traveling preacher" to my friend.  What a poor way to portray my God.
nateswinton
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:57:49 pm »

Daisy, I agree, all the things you mentioned there are shameful practices to the body of Christ.  I guess that it's possible that at some point Tom may have used those, but I think he was honestly better at public speaking than many, and had a good deal of integrity.  He wouldn't have had a need for those cheap tactics.  I've watched him "start" several times in a few different places, from Iowa City to Ames to Chicago, and he's generally very respectful and avoids personal attacks altogether.

It's possible that I'm wrong (I've been very wrong before), but the people you're referring to probably have a different school of thought than Tom Short.  It sounds like they're trusting in human methods rather than the power of the Spirit to lead their tongues, and to bring listeners with open hearts to hear a sincere gospel.  Personal attacks, foul language, sensationalism, and conflict all sound like matters of the flesh to me, and I can't imagine them bearing fruits of the Spirit.
Valley Noir
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:50:08 pm »

Brother Jeb has been around for 25 years and going, and, yes, he refers to a woman who has a V-neck or the collar of a shirt unbuttoned as a "whore".  I thought that colleges had been relieved of his noxious presence, but I saw him on the campus of University of Michigan this fall.

Valley Noir
Angry
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:19:23 am »

valley noir -

Do you or have you attended New Life in Ann Arbor?

Angry
Valley Noir
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 01:32:49 pm »

Quote from: "Angry"
valley noir -

Do you or have you attended New Life in Ann Arbor?

Angry

No.  I was involved in GCI in the early 80s, before there was a presence at Ann Arbor.

Valley Noir
Immortal_Raven
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 03:42:42 pm »

Tom Short, I call him Tom Short-minded.  I saw Tom Short a couple years ago at my college campus, the University of Northern Colorado.  Everyone at the church I attended at the time was psyched.  They said, " He's awesome.  He's gonna preach on campus this Friday and then give a message at worship tonight."  I thought "Cool, guest speakers usually do a good job, I'm excited."  

After my last class, I went to where he was talking.  A crowd had gathered and several people were debating with him.  I watched for about 15 minutes before I decided that wandering around campus aimlessly was a better use of my time.  He was publicly called several women sluts and whores like many of you have stated.  He was also denouncing everything written in the Koran.  I'm not Islam, but I've read excerpts from the Koran.  It's not 100% bad.  Several principles in there are also found in the Bible.  So I was a little less excited to go here him that night.

His message was entitled, "Deconstructing the Da Vinci Code".  At the time the book was popular and so were the Gnostic gospels.  The positive side of the message was disproving the gospels.  He did an excellent job.  Other than that, the message was pointless and almost demeaning.  Dan Brown has stated that the "Da Vinci Code" is purely fiction and entertainment.  Tom Short treated it like heresy against the church and treated us like small children during his message.  I've heard many of the GCC leadership give talks, including Mark Darling, Rick Whitney, and Dennis Clark.  Tom Short was the only one who offended me and really came across as a jerk.   The ends does not justify the means in this case.

-Immortal_Raven

"They gave you lies, and in return you gave them hell."-Tears for Fears
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -unknown
theresearchpersona
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:43:04 pm »

Quote from: "Immortal_Raven"
Dan Brown has stated that the "Da Vinci Code" is purely fiction and entertainment.  Tom Short treated it like heresy against the church and treated us like small children during his message.  I've heard many of the GCC leadership give talks, including Mark Darling, Rick Whitney, and Dennis Clark.  Tom Short was the only one who offended me and really came across as a jerk.   The ends does not justify the means in this case.

-Immortal_Raven

Well...Mr. Brown has been provocatively suggestive otherwise whenever he had the chance, but when he was confronted he'd throw-up the wall of "just fiction".

Other than that, Tom's nice...sort of. But I do agree that he isn't quite...um...great at interacting with people well (I was thinking there). Once a guy asked me if I could talk to him not to come off so wrongly.

There is something to be said about offense: the Word says the gospel is offensive, Paul on Mars Hill trashes Hellenistic thought and even points to the alter of the unknown god to press-home, even more, his point that they're ignorant without truth...except where they act to show they are guilty. YET Tom doesn't ususally offend this way. He offends by "I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to make an example of you", and so on. It's nice that he likes to dialogue...but he *might* do better preaching the Law and the Gospel and letting God convince people with His Holy Spirit. Many times people ask Tom very basic questions about, say, translations...and no good answer. I remember once where he was claiming Bible versions didn't matter at all, at all, "who has bibles...let's compare John 3:16" and some smart guy (and I give him credit for this) said "no, let's compare a random passage". Despite assertions otherwise...methodology in translation and the attitude towards scripture held by the translators...does matter. If, for instance, it is reverred and they're conservative...not necessarily politically or whatever, but rather with the text itself: they won't even, then, try to amend supposed discrepencies, but put it out plainly. This is why I like literal: maybe hard, but honest (with consistancy).

If, however, it's meaning and not words that count...problem: that even contradicts scripture itself. If the Bible is just a storybook why not meddle here and there?

I'm not sure why Tom didn't run through teaching this guy in detail...except that I realized as the day progressed more and more people asked different, basic, simple little questions: and Tom never knew: you'd have to go over and talk to that person personally after they were no longer engaged. This was maddening. I don't expect him to know every little detail...no one can, but he could have at least prepared in translational details and such: though if so it might disturb him more than he'd like...and probably many other pastors (and no, I don't mean in rocking their faith in the Bible).

Anyways, I'm glad those kind of things actually signal to people "don't listen to this guy", especially when they can preach all day "you need Jesus" and mention only God's benefits and none of that which prepares the unbeliever to forsake sin and their own life and which God commands to preach first. Didn't Jesus, it says, go around saying "repent", and unlike the GC "it's just a mental thing" (Papers on teaching evangelism in order not to scare away the person beign "shared" with...the "do" part is later). They'll be out ALL DAY fighting over politics and abortion but never go into God's Holiness and wrath, but His excellency for being so patient, and His willingness to extend His patience just to show us He will offer grace...and then the Person (Deity and Human) and Work of Jesus Christ.  With GC's doctrinal depth, however, I might be afraid for them to try this: even though it's the basics. But many Christians around, I think, have started learning they're not taught this anymore...and I'm relieved to see so many beginning to starve, wake-up, and seek feed. Maybe people who'll really feed them purely will be the ones some of those "yeah right" critics will actually listen to...we can at least hope.

ANYways...Mr. Raven, I'm glad you're here. : )
steelgirl
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »

Quote from: "Immortal_Raven"
Tom Short, I call him Tom Short-minded.  I saw Tom Short a couple years ago at my college campus, the University of Northern Colorado.  Everyone at the church I attended at the time was psyched.  They said, " He's awesome.  He's gonna preach on campus this Friday and then give a message at worship tonight."  I thought "Cool, guest speakers usually do a good job, I'm excited."  

After my last class, I went to where he was talking.  A crowd had gathered and several people were debating with him.  I watched for about 15 minutes before I decided that wandering around campus aimlessly was a better use of my time.  He was publicly called several women sluts and whores like many of you have stated.  He was also denouncing everything written in the Koran.  I'm not Islam, but I've read excerpts from the Koran.  It's not 100% bad.  Several principles in there are also found in the Bible.  So I was a little less excited to go here him that night.

His message was entitled, "Deconstructing the Da Vinci Code".  At the time the book was popular and so were the Gnostic gospels.  The positive side of the message was disproving the gospels.  He did an excellent job.  Other than that, the message was pointless and almost demeaning.  Dan Brown has stated that the "Da Vinci Code" is purely fiction and entertainment.  Tom Short treated it like heresy against the church and treated us like small children during his message.  I've heard many of the GCC leadership give talks, including Mark Darling, Rick Whitney, and Dennis Clark.  Tom Short was the only one who offended me and really came across as a jerk.   The ends does not justify the means in this case.

Why does he have to stoop rather low, along the lines of Brother Jeb
wastedyearsthere
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 05:57:07 am »

I remember someone telling me he was trying to be a modern day
John the Baptist -- preaching sin and repentance.  He has been doing this for over 20 years -- I remember him doing this same technique in the 80's
pvitartas
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

I really do think Tom borrowed his style from Jed Smock of late 1970's Ohio State preaching on the Oval Days.  He may've been influenced by a female preacher, fondly referred to as "Disco Queen" from the same time period.

I think Tom had nice qualities in those days, but I think he was, and likely is, deceived about the elders authority over the flock.  He was made an elder of the church at a very young age - 21 years old if I remember correctly. 

wynter
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:00:27 am »

Huh?148BettBettHuh?Huh?DigiHuh?MarkMereHuh?Tesc0004GardHuh?MarcMystSkarHiddSimsHuh?Huh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?MichGarnPantVinoMeisXVIIJardHuh?Huh?BertHuh?Huh?RobeHuh?FranJackHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
SplaJohnHuh?ChriHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?shinRovePETEDigiMicrExcuMetrTimeHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Klau
WindCondHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?JaggGregNivaHuh?ivilHuh?Arts(196Huh?JohaHuh?Huh?Huh?SidnHuh?Huh?
RKUXHuh?3000tapaMiyoAlbeDaphHuh?Huh?DrunPoliFyodWelcValiImagUnreBrotHuh?LiveHuh?BingHuh?Chap
RegrFutaMiloSM-8Huh?Huh?LiebPierCarlBillHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?MegaHuh?9018AVTOMazdHuh?Huh?Voca
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?OxfoSkinFavoNissLiviPhilReleChoiHuh?DaviNellHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?WillGeraHuh?Huh?JeweHuh?Huh?Huh?VisuMPEGUnzaHuh?Huh?KonrHuh?Sall
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?186-Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?FeedHuh?TheyWoodPochHuh?NelsDAIWHuh?WhatHuh?Huh?SM-8SM-8
SM-8PhotHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?GeorHuh?NicoComeHuh?tuchkasHuh?Huh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: