Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 18, 2024, 07:28:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very odd  (Read 4922 times)
AgathaL'Orange
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: June 12, 2011, 07:54:18 am »

http://media.thedtc.org/index.php/media/file/life-pt-6-parenting/

Listening to this sermon by Tim Rude where he discusses an upcoming parenting conference that will be primarily for fathers and single mothers.  HUH?  Of course it will be open to anyone interested but predominately for fathers and single mothers.  He says God gives the primary child rearing job to the father and the mothers come along side to help.

1.  How can someone honestly say that a father is predominately raising a child if they believe in stay at home homeschooling mothers?

2.  It is offensive to suggest that a single mother is a "father".  She's a mother.  Not a father.

3.  It is inappropriate in their highly sexualized, gender specific culture to have single mothers meeting with married fathers without the married wives present.

4.  It affirms the odd take we've all perceived that single women retain autonomy and "giftedness" while married women are "downgraded" to a more servile and dependent role. 

5.  It is offensive to suggest that a mother would not need to be involved in discussions of "steering" the family or "family mission".

These people are genuinely clueless.  I am sad for the mothers and fathers in this church.  Why can't they just be normal?

Glad to be free.
Linda

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:55:49 am »

Excellent points.

I'm surprised they want the single moms to attend at all. I would imagine that in their thinking the pastor would be the default "father" to the child!

Another point. Children of single parents often have a living father. Why is he left out of this picture?

The mixing of the sexes was astonishing to me in light of the dating control. There were lots of missions trips where only one spouse would go. (Probably financial reasons) I saw several "really close" friendships develop between married members of the opposite sex who had gone on mission's trips. Made me think that I would never want my spouse to go on one without me.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
LucyB
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:03:30 pm »

4.  It affirms the odd take we've all perceived that single women retain autonomy and "giftedness" while married women are "downgraded" to a more servile and dependent role. 

Agatha:

I did not perceive that at all. I was on both sides of that fence. When I was married, I gladly took the role of a servant. After I was divorced the message was very clear that I was a square peg. I feel bad for divorced women. They are trying to raise children on their own. The message is that child rearing is not really their natural role, but they can hone in on the men's session if they insist. Their children are f#$%$ed without a father in the home. Why would they want to attend the session or stay in the church?  I'm glad they are honest that the session will be directed to men, instead of baiting and switching like they used to do.
AgathaL'Orange

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:20:13 pm »

You know, I actually agree with you after thinking about it.  I think divorced women or single mothers were "lower" in GC brains.  Good point. 

But they did essentially "demote" women when they got married (before children).  Women could be leaders while single or in college.  But when they were married, they weren't anymore.  Was that your experience too?

I feel sorry for divorced women too, that would be so weird, IMO to be grouped together with the men in that circumstance.  Why not just have a parenting conference open to all parents?  I mean, every parent should be "steering" their children and families.

Glad to be free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: