Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
September 21, 2017, 02:25:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Women and GC  (Read 63630 times)
MidnightRider
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:25 am »

Quote from: "theresearchpersona"
I AM in a situation where I'm having to try to be faithful and not train-wreck a gal while also dealing with the GC stuff: I'm around the Christians...I'm not participating, however, with GC...and when I'm around the GC I'm there guarding, say, the unbelievers that might be there from being taken captive, and there talking to them about the Bible and contering anything unbiblical that I might.
GC thinks we're the enemy...they don't seem to get that many here are just very much concerned...and protesting all that's unbiblical.
Persona,

You know the situation better than any of us so anything I say is just advice. And I apologize in advance for poking at a sore spot.

I would like for you to look ahead 10-15 years. You will very likely be in a situation where you have alienated the girl so much she left you, and GCx got tired of your resistance and "encouraged" you to exit their fellowship. How will you feel then?
namaste
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:34 pm »

What's wrong, boys?  Don't like that women make up 51% of the electorate? :wink:

Oxford Researcher: Men Will Be Extinct in 125,000 years
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4725121&page=1

Looks like GC better revise its position on females and leadership...if they want their "non-denominational-denomination" to survive.  :lol:

Om, shanti.
ex gc woman

« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:47 pm »

Yes, I agree with the original post. My GC church didn't know what to do with all of the older intelligent, ambitious, outspoken single women.

We'd been with the movement for several years, but as we grew up, grew in confidence, acquired the ability to think critically and think for ourselves, and gained a greater understanding of our freedom and power in Christ, we found that it went both ways. GC didn't know what to do with us, and we didn't know what to do with GC. We wanted to pursue lives that didn't center around men or children. We wanted to learn, flourish, and grow into our potential, as full & equal members of a community. So we left. We found other communities where we could flourish. My current (non-gcm) church is pretty egalitarian, but still committed to intelligently pursuing biblical truth, a much better fit for me.

But blessings on those of you who are sticking around & trying to affect change within a GC church. You're more patient than I am.
Rebekah
Private Forum Access
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »

I'm glad you left. It really goes to show what a church is (and isn't) made of when only certain categories of people can fit in. What is this, a social club? hehehe They always made a jab about church being nothing more than a social club at "other" churches.
theresearchpersona
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:33 pm »

Looks like GC better revise its position on females and leadership...if they want their "non-denominational-denomination" to survive.  :lol:

They would be unbiblical to do so.

However, it's not as though any level or part or aspect of their leadership is biblical already: any part that even appears to be, at first, is twisted. Besides that, however, I found that in the DT's, despite the official positions on things, women had authority over men all the time. Besides that, women were also permitted to be leadership over women even officially--which is okay...if they're seasoned older women: these were not, so they just helped perpetuate immaturity, and sometimes a haughtiness--I know a certain one that told puff "you're following the devil" after he dared asked whether anything they (who built this site) had said was deceptive/lying, untrue, and she could not; then again, she may have just been repeating a line the higher-ups said of those who built this thing.

Oxford Researcher: Men Will Be Extinct in 125,000 years
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4725121&page=1

And although I understand your joking reasons for bringing this up I want to help put an old myth to rest. This is a very old myth, not grounded in science, but like many scientific "proclamations" keeps getting picked-up and re-cited. It's also outdated matter: the Y, despite its minute size, was the iron man of genes to sequence because it's recursive; the researchers who accomplished this described it (and much simpler than it really is) as looking at thousands of New York cities where the only difference were a couple of mail boxes in each. The Y, unlike other chromosomes, like a mirror-in-a-mirror, is able without a partnered chromosome to repair itself: so the coming demise of men is far over exaggerated.

Speaking of which, I actually considered in school writing a paper on a chicken-and-the-egg problem regarding sexes that, if evolution held, men would have to have been first: sure, Adam-and-Evecome to mind first for sure to anyone who'd encounter that paper, but on a genetic basis it would be quite serious if one has no pre-commitments to evolutionary philosophy into which to force the data to fit. It doesn't quite have to do with the Y, but that could be part of the reasoning too, if one really wanted to give extra detail.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:30:54 pm by theresearchpersona » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: