Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:32:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A GREAT WOUNDING of God’s People in GCx Churches  (Read 13496 times)
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« on: April 14, 2019, 07:25:59 pm »

A GREAT WOUNDING of God’s People
in GCx Churches

Part One

People in GCx churches are being and have been greatly afflicted for over 40 years by its abusive teachings and practices. There is profound wounding going on in the name of God in this church organization. This is not something new to Christianity. The Bible speaks of personal damage done to his people by those over them in both the Old and New Testaments. Some of the telltale scriptures appear below.

“These are the horns that scattered Judah so that no one could raise their head,
but the craftsmen have come to terrify them and throw down these horns of the nations who lifted up their horns against the land of Judah to scatter its people.”
Jeremiah 1:21

The root of this affliction seems to be exploiting and abusing the flock to feed the pride of it’s leaders. The tearing down of those under their “authority” for the building up of their own egos, resulting in their flock hanging their heads so that the leaders’ might be lifted up.

"I said to the boastful, 'Do not boast,' And to the wicked, 'Do not lift up the horn;
Do not lift up your horn on high, Do not speak with insolent pride.'"
Psalm 75:4-5

The GCx leaders and their loyal followers viciously attack those speaking up to defend themselves or the flock concerning clear violations of biblical leadership being carried out. They are tearing at the reputations of innocent people to deny and deflect their guilt.

“...you do not take care of the flock.
You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured.
You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost.
You have ruled them harshly and brutally.”
Ezekiel 34:5

They are falsely denying weighty offenses of lording over people’s lives; burdening believers with anti-scriptural requirements and commandments; and enslaving their people under man-made laws, and heaping undue shame and guilt upon them.

“But our authority builds you up; it doesn’t tear you down.
So I will not be ashamed of using my authority. ...
For you tolerate it if anyone enslaves you,
anyone devours you,
anyone takes advantage of you,
anyone exalts himself, anyone hits you in the face.”
2 Corinthians 11:8,20

GCx psychologically holds it’s people captive against their spirit-led conscience, quenching God’s freedom, leading and purposes for them.  These serious abuses against their people gravely wound believers mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The founder’s and leaders’ sinful pride and cruel treatment has in many cases, as the scriptures above say, tragically torn the faith of their members and scattered the sheep. The effects are far-reaching as you will note from those members who have bravely chosen to speak out.  The first witness included here is a bit longer than the others, but is very helpful in understanding the dynamics at work in GCx Churches that greatly wound so many.

The damage this group has done to the minds of young people, young Christians is staggering. ... My story stems from a truly abusive church experience caused by the Great Commission [GCx Churches alias]. ... Confusion, pain, sorrow, anger, sadness, inability to sleep and an actual diagnosis of PTSD is what I experienced because of the Great Commission [again, not the commandment in Matthew 28 - but the name the organization assumed for many years] I needed to turn away from the god I knew in the GCx and figure out who God really is, what is a healthy way to live, and how to heal emotionally and psychologically. This has been incredibly painful. My huge concern with GCC [another GCx alias] is that their system of beliefs fosters depression and poor mental health.
     ... I have come to this conclusion based on mental health professionals' objective assessment of this church's beliefs, (this includes psychiatrists, licensed psychologists, therapists, and nurses), and after speaking to core young people who have left the GCM [GCx alias] church because of trauma caused by these beliefs, actually looking deeper into what their lives and emotional states really were while they were in the system, listening to numerous Faithwalkers messages to understand what they preach, and realizing that the outward appearance of the seeming harmony, unity, friendliness and caring is how they are supposed to act, not truly a manifestation of inner peace and joy that comes from following Jesus.
     ... Mentally, you become confused, unable to logically think things through for yourself. You aren't encouraged (or allowed) to question anything but to accept what the pastors and leaders tell you. You are expected to seek counsel for decisions that you should be responsible for deciding for yourself, and you constantly have people telling you how to live, what to think, and holding you "accountable" in the system.
     Emotionally, life is hard. It's supposed to be hard. Some people cry regularly, often daily. They give up desires they once had in order to serve the church more fully. (Notice I did not say serve God.) Their hopes and dreams and activities that are not church or outreach related are strongly discouraged. True friendships are discouraged so everyone can be "best friends" in the system. Joy is an emotion that is rare.
     Psychologically, people become sad and depressed. Guilt rules their lives, as does fear. They become afraid of God's judgement, afraid they are not doing enough, afraid of living alone or living with anyone not in the system; afraid of honestly examining how much they really are hurting and why, and very afraid to leave the system or have anyone else leave. Anger, frustration, resentment, guilt, etc. well up in a devoted GCM'er but the system does not provide a healthy way to deal with these feelings so they get stuffed and bottled up inside. The cheerful mask of joy and unity is worn despite the inner pain and turmoil. This contradiction within a person creates psychological chaos.
     I don't think it is possible to be psychologically healthy if you buy into this system. The more involved you get and the more you buy into their teaching, the more the "problems" affect you mentally, emotionally, and psychologically. At the same time, you don't see them as "problems" because you have bought into the system by then. Casual members don't experience the same mental, emotional, psychological consequences as people who are devoted the the teachings of the movement.
-wisemind

My son was in GCM for two and one half years. He has been out of it for two years. Before he left for college he had a deep faith.  Now, he wants nothing to do with organized religion.  I have also noticed his personality is starting to come back but not the confidence he used to have. How long does it take to recover from GCM?
-aconcernedmom

It's been 18 years since I left and I'm only just starting to heal. ...I first heard the term "spiritual abuse" six years ago from a fellow ex-member with a similar story to mine. Prior to that, I didn't know there was a name for what we had experienced, that other people had been through it too, and that it was wrong. The relief I felt to find that it wasn't just me - that I had been done wrong by, I wasn't just a "bad Christian" - was life-changing. It explained so much about what had happened and perhaps the keys to get my head back on straight and repair my relationship with God.
-bLizard

...a lot of people in GC's depression is due to the fact that they don't feel they are meeting the spiritual standards being set up in GC. That was true in my case. Once I got out, I started feeling like myself again. I could have normal relationships over time and wasn't worried about meeting spiritual quotas (did I read my bible enough this week, did I share enough this week, did I pray enough this week).
-DevastedTC

I'm pretty emotionally messed up by these people. So, yes, my experience was bad. I was about as deep as someone can get into GC for about 10 years. When I left... I really can hardly describe it. It's like I woke up. It's like my identity had been erased during those ten years. Talking about not being able to have any dreams or goals of your own! I lived that for ten years!
-escapee    [left ~ 2009]

I do remember crying daily for how sad I felt for the friends I had left behind in that GC church; they really are good people corrupted by a wicked system.  Sometimes I still miss the group of friends, the sincere drivenness, and the singular focus of a group, but the organization is sick and I watched it digest the souls of far too many people I loved to ever consider going back. ... The first while after I was ready to start trying church again I felt frightened, sometimes even panicked that the new church would be just like my GC experience.  Along with this is a distrust of pastors and teachings, though I have found that I have a very heightened sense of works based salvation now. These are the ways that I was spiritually altered by GC.
-Daisy

I'm just starting the healing process after being at Walnut Creek [GCx Church] for 5 years. It sounds crazy and overly dramatic to me, but I really don't know how to adequately explain my experiences without calling it spiritual abuse. As I begin my search to find a healthy church, I'm worried that I'm going to either put up walls that will prevent me from interacting with brothers and sisters the way God wants me to or that I'll end up in a similar situation again. I know for sure that I won't be able to automatically trust the pastor of the church I end up at next, he will have to earn it. How do you explain things so that the new pastor and members of the church will understand that you're not just trying to be negative and bitter?
-TJ    [left ~ 2015]

I just want to say that one of the most destructive things I experienced in the GCC church I attended, and one of the reasons it is so hard to heal, was the way they screwed up my view of God. ... I never felt ministered to at my GCC church, I felt I had to perform or that I was a project and once I no longer danced to the music I was quarantined and kept apart and now shunned.
-unsubscribed

..the leadership using the expression, "we know your heart brother," I shuddered. ...
There is no way for me to count the number of times that phrase was uttered by the leadership.  They genuinely believed that they could read a person's mind, heart, and motives, as if God had made them prophets and revealed this to them. ... The fact that they assumed it was proper to "know a man's heart," motives, or secret thoughts at all is a giant warning sign.  That they would take action based on believing they "knew a man's heart" is cause enough to find spiritual fellowship elsewhere. ... Times too numerous, what they "knew" about a man's heart proved to be false knowledge, erroneous intuition, and a wrong gut feeling.  
-EverAStudent

I was a defender for a long time. It took getting married and having all my expectations completely exposed for the false hopes they were before I could see what I'd been through. The wounds are deep; the consequences seemingly for ever: marriage choices, career choices, family decisions, etc. I know that God is sovereign, but I constantly struggle. I feel that I was not protected. I hope that our experiences have made us stronger Christians. Like many [former members of GCx], I struggle to read Scripture. We threw our lives behind the understanding we had [formerly in GCx] of God's Word--we lived the lies we believed.  Every time we open the Bible, those false messages are waiting there to confuse us. Pray for us... Pray for our healing.
-TurnLeft

It's honestly a miracle that my friends who left with me are still attending church at all.
-Alexa    [left ~ 2015]

There were so many times where we felt that something wasn't right, but could not put our finger on it. We have never experienced as much guilt in our lives as when we were attending a GC church, as if we could never measure up.
-Concerned

The entire time I was in GCx, I was told that my mental illness could only be relieved by God. I was told not to see a psychiatrist or a therapist. ... saw a "counselor" that was a member of the church that had no experience in psychology and was basically told that my mental health wasn't a problem with my brain, it was a problem with my soul. I was told that I wasn't reading the bible enough, meditating on scriptures enough, fellowshipping enough, or praying enough. I was chastised for having a job that I desperately needed to pay for college because it was interfering with my time in fellowship and time spent with the Lord in general. I was reproved constantly, and I became so depressed that I started cutting. I became increasingly suicidal and had to be hospitalized on multiple occasions due to suicidal ideation and self-harm. Eventually, I started to see that what I was a part of, what was around me completely encompassing my life, was not true Christianity. Christianity is not meant to make you hurt so bad that you want to kill yourself.  I was a victim of spiritual abuse by GCx.
-jcrash27   [left ~ 2010]

When we returned to Greeley, my wife had several one on one meetings with female leaders who accused her of being prideful and arrogant.  After several meetings she broke down and admitted to it to placate those leaders.
-Immortal_Raven

...churches and religious organizations get into erroneous teachings when they promote pervasive and invasive accountability and self-examination instead of simply pointing us to the all-sufficient grace of God. What sincere and open-hearted Christian isn't aware of his or her own short-comings? When caught off-guard, they are the very ones who suffer the most when manipulators misuse the scripture to create guilt trips. I think GCI [GCx alias] still has a lot of travel agents for those kind of trips. ... I knew one couple and two single guys who practically had nervous breakdowns after being sent out [among others to start 50 new GCx churches in the U.S.] with all the fanfare and Jim's glowing praise, and his promise of GCI's ongoing support. Within a year those promises turned out to be as empty as all his other schemes and broken promises. ... I now realize that a big part of Invasion 85 [50 Church plants] was to boost Jim's [McCotter - founder of GCx] ego... [as well as] the circulation of GCI's latest newspaper: U.S. Press... it went defunct that same year and so did most of those 50 "churches."
-newcreature

I'm just coming out of a GCM [GCx] Church. ...used the same words I have been using. . . toxic, insidious, bondage, condemnation, not measuring up, lost my reliance upon GRACE . . . all resonate with me.
-esperanza317

It's hard to go back into a new church and not look at the leaders with suspicion.
-puff of purple smoke

I for the first time allowed myself to talk about some of the hurts of the past with a very supportive pastor. The problem was that once I could begin questioning the Church, I also began questioning God, and reexamining everything. It was hard to not throw out the baby with the bathwater. I went through many years after that ignoring God. I couldn’t bring myself to read the Bible… especially the version I had used for years. My husband would ask me to read the Bible and pray with him, and I just couldn’t. It took about six years before life circumstances and some painful events brought me back to my knees, But not before having it out with God one night where I yelled and cried and finally forgave and confessed. I started really healing after that, and found a new love for God and his Word. I am now doing what I love, and what I think God made me to do.
-Liz

For the first year following my exit, I tried to go to a local Presbyterian church; and most I could muster was sitting in the last pew and wait until a panic attack set in ... then I had to rush out.
-calgal

I left a Great Commission Ministries (GCM) church in the midwest in the recent past, but I still can’t read the Epistles without cringing. I didn’t realize the effect the church had on me until after I left. ... To be honest, I’ve always been a people-pleaser and have never felt very confident that I knew what God wanted me to be doing. I guess that might be why GCM was so stressful for me. I felt like I wasn’t pleasing them because I wasn’t doing enough and that by not pleasing them, I might also not be pleasing God. I didn’t feel like the GCM meetings and activities were meaningful (or natural) to me personally, so I didn’t participate a whole lot. Then, by not participating, I worried that I wasn’t living the life God intended for me and was making him unhappy. It was really hard to be there because I felt like a failure all of the time.
-Genevieve

I know in my brain that I made the right decision to leave but it was just so hard to have people that I thought were my friends attack me and cut me off. My wife and I have struggled to join another church for fear of being hurt like we were hurt before. As much as it makes me sick to admit, it has really shaken the foundations of my faith.
-crp87

I disconnected on social media with all the people from that [GCx] church. And I immediately felt unburdened. I was actually inspired to read God's word. No obligation, no compulsion by authority. I legitimately wanted to seek out God. This shouldn't happen. Church should not be a chore, a place you go to get your weekly spiritual hazing as you grow and mature as a Christian.
-MisterPenguin42

Portraying happy Christian on the outside was the most important thing. As a teenager, some of my sins were so “bad”, I had to apologize to a pastor because I was told that my sin hurt the body of Christ as a whole. Never mind that I was dying on the inside. GC [GCx alias] squelched my individuality and dreams and crushed my spirit. My eyes became completely dead. There was no light, I was so lost and confused and very sad. I contemplated suicide on a regular basis. As a kid, I would sneak out in the middle of the night and walk along the highway hoping someone would kidnap me so that I couldn’t be blamed for killing myself or running away voluntarily. I learned early on to always pretend. Pretend I was okay with only being allowed to have friendships with GC people. Pretend everything was fine. Pretend I wasn’t going through any problems. Always be obedient, respectful, happy, remorseful....all the pretending and burying caused so much pain. As I got older, I engaged in a lot of self destructive behaviors and got involved in extremely abusive relationships. ... So, was I mentally well within GC org? No. It was extremely unhealthy for me and others. ... The effects run deep.
-Shamednomore

I married and years of irreparable harm came to me and my husband and eventually our six children through the intimidation and partial judgments of a pastor with unprofessional advice and counseling. As our family fell more and more apart we realized the harm. We were always told if we were HUMBLE we would accept the advice! Our experiences included betrayals, lies told to and about us from Elders/Pastors, deacons and members of note who were trying to cover their backsides when caught or challenged.
-lynne

...devout Christian psychologists could in very good conscience call GCM a cult, even if they personally agreed with GCM's stated doctrines, based on the testimonies-narratives of members they have counseled as well as other evidence brought into consideration. My own Christian psychologist wasn't into the business of doling out labels, but did specifically find some highly pathological aspects to GC* based on The Blitz Papers and my own personal stories.
-observer

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:38:43 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:37:19 pm »

A GREAT WOUNDING of God’s People
in GCx Churches

Part Two

“Twisted Scriptures” lays out well the formulation of false teaching that is wielded to control believers’ lives. The description of the deception and effect upon those under these teachings is very helpful in revealing what happens in the mind and emotions of the followers. The way it unpacks the manipulation of using unbiblical twists of scripture shows how believers can be so disillusioned and wounded.  The following are quotes from this enlightening book about spiritual wounding. The first quote may be somewhat revelational to many.

“A Principle of Abusive Discipleship Dying to self = Giving up for God your own ideas, desires, ambitions, and obeying your discipler even when your heart tells you not to.”

“A Principle of Good Discipleship Dying to self = Giving up for God your own sinful ideas, desires, and ambitions.”

“An abusive discipleship is a group that exerts coercive persuasion through systematic deception. ... In essence, the disciple becomes a slave obedient to the discipler’s advice. ...humiliation frequently is done by: imposing a standard by which disciples are often caused to feel guilty or ashamed [by] continual judging of members’ hearts or motives...”

“Leaders often question your personal habits just to see if they can find some possible cause for judging you.  Some coercive discipleship methods call for interrogation, confrontation, and accountability... In abusive discipleship, you are told that you are factious, proud, or that you have a bad heart. When a discipler tells you that you have a bad heart, it is a weapon of control...”

Many of the characteristics of abusive discipleship the author describes are on target with the abuse in GCx Churches, but I believe GCx is even more destructive then some of the examples in the this book.  Below are more experiences of abusive wounding in GCx churches, in addition to the 25 instances in Part One.

I had always wondered if it was really anyone's place but God's to judge our "progress" toward Him.  This is very obvious principle in their discipleship practices, to the point where the discipler’s time and energy should be spent most on those who "grow" most.  Too bad for all of the delightful godly people they miss out on.
-Daisy

...people who reported to the leadership on private conversations of other members, resulting in late-night unannounced visits by the deacons to "see how that conversation affected your thinking"; being told after I had started worshiping there that I was now involuntarily committed for life ("God put you in this church, and only God can take you out of it") ... For a very long time, though, I blamed myself for not being godly enough to live up to their demands. It took a long time to understand that it was the demands that were all wrong.
-Huldah

I guess I didn’t fit the perfect GCI mold, at one point all my friends were “counseled” to not be my roommates, and I found myself ostracized. At another point I asked the local elder permission to visit my brother who was dying in Florida and his counsel was to allow the dead to bury their own dead...
-Liz

GCx tried to even pressure me, at times, into taking on expensive financial commitments (and to get in debt), to not honor my schoolwork, or my job, etc., for the supposed sake of the gospel. I was often chastised and verbally abused for sharing thoughts on scripture (told I loved to hear myself talk), and that I was going to grow into a bitter old maid (in prayer, mind you), and other such abusive treatments. ... No, no... These folks don't help others because Christ said so -- These folks help people so they can look attractive in their own eyes, and rope people in to their church -- as a recruiting tactic. It hurts to realize those things, because I gave years of my life... and there are still SOME truly decent folks in there; but few and far between. ...It was not an easy decision for me to leave GCx. I stayed for many years, and thought that *I* was the problem -- that I wasn't giving enough grace, that I wasn't being a person who was committed to unity. But little by little, I came to understand these people did NOT care about me... I was simply there for their selfish reasons of needing 'members.' That was all...
-FeministRebel

I...started attending WCCC as a freshman at Drake. ...I enjoyed learning, [but] felt that the emphasis was to be on ministry and not on my education. Sometimes, I even felt guilty for reading the assigned reading for class because I could be "outreaching". Looking back, I wish I would have spent more time on working harder at my education.
-Summer0924

...their sincere interest for my life turned out to be a robotic compliance to god's command to love thy neighbor.
-skewed_grace

We were now CORE. That was why the friendships sort of dwindled. We had had such great friendships we had thought. I considered some of these people to be my best friends! We had gone out to eat together, on trips. But something had changed. There was this sort of “we’re all in the trenches now” mentality. Why would we want to go out for coffee or share a meal together? You’re here. You’re staying. Kind of like a boring old married couple when romance has gone by the wayside. This is where the truth of who people are really comes out. And I say, “Cool!” I am cool with people being themselves. Maybe they just tired of us, but I began to hear some kookie things. ...Was it all an act? That first day we visited the church, a promise of friendship was made that led to nowhere after awhile. I still wonder why they were unusually friendly.
-Agatha L’Orange

Many people were treated as pawns in the hands of their disciplers and ultimately that discipler's elder. ... I know I truly hurt others I was supposedly "discipling", and discipler's and elders definitely hurt me. It became obvious later that many of these "relationships" were for show and had a selfish agenda. I believe this fake friendship approach flowed from the top down. ... This lack of sincere love actually created loneliness and depression among many. Friendship was often manufactured in GCx.
-Janet

The people are all extremely committed Christians and all very loving.  At the same time, they were all apparently confused about what being a loving Christian meant, which resulted in them doing incredibly hurtful things to each other and the cause of Christ.
-2xRon

I was told by church members that God didn't protect me from being assaulted because I questioned my faith and didn't pray enough.  They assured me it wouldn't have happened to them because they knew that God loved them and would never let that happen to them. ...This experience has affected my life tremendously, and though it has been over 15 years since I left the church, the years of spiritual abuse I was subject to, changed who I was as a person and stripped me of my faith.
-Lisa1863    [left ~ 2002]

I had a neck injury when my middle child was two.  I needed help at home for a period of time but none was to be had. I could not lift more than a glass of milk, much else my own children. This church which could rally around any event to 'love bomb' those to recruit but couldn't afford time for one of their own.
-calgal

My basic synopsis is this: the GCx church we attended had nothing to do with love. Yes, as antithetical to the Bible as it sounds, the "church" we attended was really a means of building the leaders’ franchise in the GCx model. The "leadership" was more interested in bringing people's time and money into "their church" than to truly love them. ...We experienced (like many others in the same church told us) that once you are in and the honeymoon is over, then you fade into the background. ...Over and over again, it was all about building "their local church" and submission to their "leadership". Truly disturbing. ...As I've said 1000x before, the GCx church I encountered was never about love.
-boboso

When my discipler was approached...by a brother she began to date him.  She had me go with her to a church elder to receive counsel on whether she should become serious with him.  I personally heard this elder downplay her doubts about marrying this guy and just act like of course he's a good one for you. He goes to GCM [GCx alias].  He was just a lousy counselor truth be told.  She married the brother, then divorced him.
-Xiaojia

I know a lot of people who have experienced serious issues with Summitview [GCx Church] and those leading it. Other churches in the area are quite aware of Summitview's "issues." It's not a normal, healthy church. ... Long term exposure to that kind of church culture does have an effect
-j

When I discussed with our local pastor (before leaving) [that]...you don't trust the Holy Spirit in the believers.  You tell them what to do in every single situation, and don't give them a chance to seek the Holy Spirit for themselves. ... The way he tells people what to do, points out their sins, REMINDS THEM of past failures in order to 'keep them down', the list goes on.  Basically, he is being everyone's Holy Spirit. ... And if one didn't do what he said to do, one was labelled as "having trouble with authority." ...the pastor in our former church seems to thrive on pointing out people's sins, and bringing them up months and years later to remind them, which was very manipulative. It "kept people down" so to speak. He'd have the small group leaders share their sins from the week, as well as the individuals in their respective small groups. ...After 30 years in, and being told what to think, say, feel, and do, it's hard now, after several years out, to do those things for myself.
-margaret    [left ~ 2005]

Once someone gets saved there’s tremendous pressure for that person to “grow in the Lord” to become a leader, and [be] incredibly involved right off the bat. There’s [no allowance] for growing into the relationship or uncertainty. The person is immediately plunged into groups and “apprenticeships” in life groups. They expect everyone to immediately have the faith it takes a lifetime to have.
-Genevieve

My turning point was when a few leaders organized a meeting about a member of the church who wasn't devoting enough of their time to the church. They gathered all of this individual's closest friends and pretty much told everyone to stop talking to the individual. This poor saint had no idea people were meeting behind their back. I could not turn my back on my pal over something like that. I still can't believe it happened.
-jtk1983

I helped start two churches and was in GCI for over 20 years.  I left in 2003 after a divorce and went to a Evangelical church. After getting remarried, my former pastor told the [new] church [I was attending] to shun me. He never told me or warned me. He then told me I was not allowed to attend my daughters wedding that year.
-Loro

The pattern described here-- the small group leaders passing on sensitive information to church leaders-- is a long time practice. ... I saw extremely negative results in several cases.  It's more than creepy and unpleasant, it's dangerous and abusive.  In one case, I saw a violation of confidence result in a major meltdown in someone's life, and I don't know if she ever recovered.
-lone gone

The teaching has been the same as it has been for over 20 years!  Full of shame based messages.  They induce guilt not love of God.  There is no inspiration to do the right thing.  Seems they are trying to build an army, not a congregation of worshippers.  The emphasis is always on what we should be doing -- not on the character of God.  Even our relationship with God seems to be on a legalistic basis.
-wastedyearsthere

I wish GCM would see past their pride and protective barriers they have constructed around themselves to what is happening in their churches. To see that yes, they are leading people to Christ, but not into Him. To see that yes, they are bringing people into community, but not into fellowship. To see that yes, they are offering hope, but only giving false facades of peace. To see that yes, there is much to be proud of and much that is good, but there is so much that is sick. ... Wake up to the pain, confusion, and struggles that have been caused by practices and beliefs found in your movement of churches.  
-sistanchrist

I was a believer then, but I didn't really know Jesus, if that makes sense. Or maybe, more accurately, He wasn't the first love I had. My first love was the church, the approval of the leaders, and doing ministry...not knowing and loving Jesus. I think what really crippled Evergreen [GCx Church] in those days was pride. It crippled me, too. There was a sense that we were the "true" church who was doing it right, that we had it all figured out. It was a culture that celebrated ME (look what I did!) instead of Jesus (look what HE did!) ... Ironically, by striving so hard, I missed the gospel of GRACE.
-Free Now   [left ~ 2002]

“Twisted Scriptures” speaks painful truths about spiritual wounding that are worth repeating.

“...When a person can’t freely share doubts about an important matter without the threat of expulsion or other negative repercussions, it can cause great inner struggles and leave one emotionally devastated. ...the fruits of broken hearts, damaged psyches, and disillusioned spirits are becoming more and more evident...[from]...unhealthy submission and non-Biblical obedience to human leaders...”

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:13:20 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 03:54:23 pm »

Janet, thank you so much for taking the time to compile this list of quotes.

Lisa's story is one that I missed somehow, back when there was so much going on in the forum last year. Aside from having to endure an assault in the first place, the way she was treated by her church afterward must have been trauma on top of trauma.

I also very much identify with TurnLeft's comment, "The wounds are deep; the consequences seemingly for ever: marriage choices, career choices, family decisions, etc." This is one reason (among several) that our critics don't seem to understand, when they complain that we're still talking about things that happened so many years ago. For some of us, the consequences of our involvement with GCx still affect us to this day.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:09:30 pm »

Yes, Huldah, I agree.  Since so many GCx leaders were manipulatively pressuring members to follow their oppressive counsel in personal life decisions, often altering the course of their lives, it most certainly has effected them for years.  They were told to sacrifice soooo much to be “loyal to GCx”, though it was deceptively masked as “loyalty to God”. They gave up friends, family, girlfriends, boyfriends, fiancés, dating, education, jobs, salaries, promotions, homes and even their own true selves. Their bullied choices brought hurt, grief, loss, hardship, impairment, damage, distress, heartache, and even despair.

Anyone with Jesus’ compassion and love in their heart would ache for the people who share their stories of brutal wounding from spiritually abusive “shepherds”.

Their stories deserve to be heard and not held secret any longer. I hope those reading hear their heart as they read their words.

I too have dreams that I am still in rooms with leaders or that I am somehow still under their authority. In those dreams, I am looked upon as suspect and treated [as] inferior. I used to have those dreams a few times each week. Now, it is less frequent but I think it may be about once a month. ... Also, I was not the only one who contemplated suicide as a way out. I know that others did too. I hope more people begin to speak out so that it never comes to something like...
-Outtathere

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:41:06 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:06:47 pm »

Where was caring?  Where was compassion?  Where was comfort?  

I believe it was in short supply because most were so busy pretending spiritual perfection they were afraid to admit weakness and struggling; to show empathy and sympathy, to identify with and accept and unconditionally love their brothers and sisters in Christ.  

Instead, what seemed to flourish was competition, jealousy, power playing, and unbiblical judging, reproving, and rebuking.  Wounding others were often rungs on the ladder to upward movement in this church organization.  Isn’t any wonder such carnage has been left in it’s wake?  

Those that have spoken out on here are only a small percentage of those who have suffered. Many are not even aware this site exists.  Some do not want to relive their nightmare in going into their hurtful experience.  Others choose to read to heal and not write.  The words spoken here are to voice a grave spiritual crime against God’s precious people.  God’s will is for such abuse to be exposed.  Paul exposed the false teachers abusing God’s people in his day.  He warned those people still under their spell to leave.  I believe the best way you can help stop the abuse GCx has caused and is still continuing to cause, is to leave and remove yourself from their influence and imposed authority.  

Here is yet another instance of lack of compassion and caring from the leadership of GCx churches.  I think this particular testimony is one that occurred at an alarming rate inside it’s walls.

I went to a GC church for years.  I was very involved.  I served, I led, I spoke. Then I came into personal circumstances in my life where I needed to be encouraged and needed to lean on some shoulders at my church.  When I shared this I was told that God would give me the strength I needed and to find comfort in the service of the Lord.  When I stepped down from leadership and service to find the encouragement in the Lord that I needed, I was still asked to serve and mentor. I was no good to anyone.  The leadership couldn't see this and many didn't ask.
-imnotbroken

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:37:16 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:56 pm »

And another:

We were expected to assimilate to the traditions of our leaders - again, NOT the Bible - and if we didn't, we were considered rebellious and not-teachable. We were considered not "on fire" for God. ... I have also been the subject of many of their meetings. The subject of hushed gossip disguised as concern. Steadily pushed to the outskirts, and eventually to irrelevance. The focal point of meetings that bordered verbal abuse. ...
-Wingless_Butterfly    [left ~ 2018]

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 07:19:25 pm »

How true!  Be warned!

To the extent that a rank and file GCI brother pursues a leadership role by seeking to please and impress the elders, he is becoming more and more culpable for his involvement in the wounding of many, many lives.
-Columbus Old-Timer

Our Lord taught that when people speak--and especially when they speak without thinking--they are revealing their true CHARACTER.  I find it odd, then, to teach that the only qualification for leadership [in GCx] is to be a man of good character while excusing those who preach cruel or false things.
-Cossette729

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:21:25 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 10:41:07 am »

Being a shepherd includes CARING FOR the sheep.  This would NOT happen in my current healthy church.  These unsympathetic incidents almost seemed a regular occurrence at LT sessions.  Perhaps because people were viewed as a means to an end in GCx Churches, rather than a ministry themselves right in front of their own blind eyes.

“Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine,
you did for Me.’”
Matthew 25:40

I went to LT in Estes Park, Colorado. Summer of '99. ... I would be guilt tripped about taking naps, after work. It was the only way I knew to keep up with the schedule. The altitude was really wrecking havoc on my health (as I had thyroid problems), and I began getting dizzy at work, and sometimes, not able to attend project days. I got SO MUCH GRIEF over this. I went to the local clinic, and had to go in town with the help of someone... But, I was treated like I was really irresponsible for just not taking care of my health, somehow, before going to Estes Park, as if I would be able to predict how altitude would affect me.
-FeministRebel

I was at North Myrtle Beach LT [GCx Leadership Training] in 92 & 93.  Looking back, it seemed like programming, indoctrination even. ... I almost never talk about my GCM [GCx alias] days.  I've often felt embarrassed about it all. ... When I left the church I was really struggling with life. I had just dropped out of college, and have struggled with clinical depression off and on since that time. I somewhat blame the church for this, I also blame myself. ... I felt abandoned, thrown by the wayside. ... I always tried to defend GCM in my mind, trying to convince myself that they weren't a cult, but I realize now that this was futile. Thank God for my parents, they have shown me what love really is in the years that have passed.
-Jack

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:45:31 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Lost Creature
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 12:17:29 pm »

I believe the best way you can help stop the abuse GCx has caused and is still continuing to cause, is to leave and remove yourself from their influence and imposed authority.

What of those who believe GCX can be saved from such influences?

There are a number of pastors within the movement now who, aware of abuses of the past and even aware of abuses of evangelical culture in general,
are working to keep their GCX church from going in the direction that it went under McCotter's leadership?
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 08:00:31 pm »

A Great Wounding by UNREPENTANT GCx Leaders

To those current members of GCx who also feel that GCx can repent and operate as a healthy church organization it would be wise to hear what former members who approached GCx leaders with those same hopes experienced over and over again for nearly three decades beyond the hidden “Apology Paper”. There is an overarching theme here. It all goes back to the National Organization.  Those people who call the shots, though they claim they have little influence, have idolatrous power and influence both “theologically” and financially over their churches.  These churches and leaders ALL go back to an evil manipulator, their self-appointed founder, James D. McCotter; who claimed to be a prophet with new revelation from God on the functioning of the Church body.  These men will not denounce him or his years of false teaching which dominates them and every member of the organization.  They have chosen not to obey God’s command to publically rebuke him.  Their actions have poisoned and wounded thousands of believers as to their real freedom and confidence in Christ. Below are real experiences of former members dealing with unrepentant leaders of the GCx Organization; beginning with the first encounter occuring in the past year-and-a-half. Perhaps you have only heard one side of the story from the leaders of your GCx church.  Here is an opportunity to practice biblical wisdom and hear from the other side.

“He that speaks first in his own cause seems just;
until his neighbor comes and examines him.”

Proverbs 18:17

I have seen other posts on this board about wishing GCC churches could recognize the error of their ways, or that things could perhaps turn around. We are so far past that point. What is happening right now is absolute corruption at the risk of losing a fellow friend. ...

Right now it is easy for [some top GCx Board Leaders] to leverage financial support to churches in exchange for support of [GCx leader accused by numerous women of harassing sexually inappropriate speech and behavior]. They are currently restructuring the whole organization so it's either put up and shut up, or have your support network destroyed.
-ReaperofGCM

My name is TC and I am on staff with GCM[GCx alias]. I strongly agree with a LOT of what was said on the GCMwarning website. Before even reading it, it was not hard for me to guess what I would see there. I still remember the first time I read the GCM apology paper and being shocked – because all of the weaknesses remained in my church to some extent. In my opinion, there are some MAJOR issues woven into the DNA of GCM as an organization.
-Anonymous

I'm just starting the healing process after being at Walnut Creek [GCx Church] for 5 years. It sounds crazy and overly dramatic to me, but I really don't know how to adequately explain my experiences without calling it spiritual abuse. ...I started attending Walnut Creek in the summer of 2010. I was already aware of GCM's history but at first glance WCC seemed "normal". After 2 years I became a community group leader (aka bible study leader). I began to develop more and more angst over several issues (the lack of emphasis on spiritual gifts and the sovereignty of God being my biggest concerns) and had attempted several times to start conversations with other leaders. Over the course of the last year or so I attempted to have several meetings with D. & L. (pastors of the downtown location) in order to try and bring about change. It became incredibly obvious that any opposing views were simply ignored, and when they could no longer be ignored were castigated as "divisive"
-tjlyttle    [left ~ 2015]

After being kicked from my small group, I left the GC and later found the Statement of Early Church Errors in which GC leaders admit that the things I and my friends suffered from in 2009-2012 have been known problems to the leaders of the movement for 21 years!!!  And then I found this site: so many people with the same stories!  I'm truly not alone.
-2xA Ron

Former group members were understandably not impressed. So I can easily side with the thesis that the statement [Apology Paper] was an effort at window dressing.
-exsheep

I read the statement of church error [which was issued back in 1991] in 2005, and found that it described much of what I was experiencing, and was shocked.

GC issued a statement of error in 1991, but I am pretty convinced that this was an attempt to ward off bad publicity rather than an honest desire to change. The timing is just too strange (the very month “Churches That Abuse” was written, being thrown off of a Toronto campus a few years earlier) and the modern day response/followup shows a lack of sincerity. Furthermore, I have personally witnessed too many of those problems firsthand, before even reading the statement, as have others. When I did finally read it, almost all of the items in it rang true with the exception of 1 or 2. This is no coincidence.

If an organization is truly reformed and sorry about its past, its current leaders should not be denying what happened. I tried to confront a pastor (who has worked in multiple GC churches) about the inaccuracy of his “church history” sermon. He admitted he didn’t know much about the church history other than what he preached, but said because he respected Jim McCotter and HM [prominent leader’s name abbreviated] and knew their heart’s for God, he would not look at any negative information on them. It didn’t matter how well documented it was, he wasn’t interested, and this was a guy teaching others the “history of GC.”

...I listened to a sermon BK [GCx elder’s name abbreviated] gave a few months ago, and he pretty much summarized this belief. The idea that we are to submit to our "spiritual leaders" even when they are wrong. Even so far as to give control of our life to them (not God, but them).

...current members have attempted to talk to me about GCI [GCx alias] and the modern GC as if they were completely different organizations ("That was GCI! Not GCAC!"), when in reality many of the big leaders from back then (RW, DC, HM) are still around at the top of the leadership chain today, and many of the teachings are just the same (or in some cases, when they resurrect old materials, exactly the same).

A strange level of denial has happened in other incidents with other leaders, which points to a group who is not really sorry for their past, and a group that has little interest in attempting to keep themselves from falling back into their old ways. Another good piece of evidence is the people who were asked to leave or thrown out for bringing up church history and modern problems. An organization that cares about not repeating the past is not afraid to learn from it and admit it happened.
-puff of purple smoke

What GC thinks and does is deep in the DNA of the group. My guess is that leaders are for the most part too intellectually isolated, invested and steeped in their own teaching--and frankly at this point have too much to lose--to ever initiate such a reformation. My impression at the time we left GC was that (despite any apologies or corrective statements) those in power within GC had walked with their "apostle" founder and still loved pretty much all he believed and taught.
-TerryD

Our experiences with GC happened in 2007 and yes, it was just as heavy-handed, abusive, and un-biblical as it was back in the 70s an 80s as THE SAME PEOPLE are still involved. ...What is really shocking is just how much has not changed since then. The most powerful arguments I see on gcxweb are the taped conversations -- how can anyone refute this? ...how can you deny word-for-word documentation?  ...Same bondage, same arrogant attitude, same problems -- (at the time) same leadership -- they even quoted McCotter on occasion.
-boboso

Great Commission’s history fascinates me. Partly it’s because GC kept it hidden. Discovering Jim McCotter and the cult accusations was like finding a secret door in the house where you grew up. You never expected it to be there, but at the same time you always kind of thought the floor plan seemed wrong. Now that odd feeling about the size of the dining room suddenly makes sense. So, I guess this is why GC’s history really interests me. To what extent can one draw parallels between the GC of today and the GC of the 70’s and 80’s? I know in many ways they are very different organizations, and yet… and yet. Many of the same men and their handpicked successors continue to run things nationally and locally. Indeed, some have seen signs of a resurgence of “old” GC ways.
-Bertrand

When I said wait, here are some real problems that you all really do have - I did see amazing turn around there too.   Some of the healthier and not abusive leadership really changed things, and tried to shift the church as a whole into a more positive direction. ...Seeing the change, I stayed at the GCM church… [But the] leaders that made the changes into a healthier direction quickly left or were kicked out within the next year. ...The rhetoric hasn't changed that much from when I was there -how did I not see how messed up this is?

...keep in mind that just because certain practices were not in place at your particular church does not mean that they were not/are not widespread in many other churches. If some/many churches did have these practices, GCM should keep closer tabs on things and know what the individual churches are practicing if things have indeed changed since the apology letter written by DB [GCx National Leader] was released. If the circumstances shared by the blog members are indeed...why hasn’t GCM done anything about it? If GCM as a whole has truly apologized/repented (and really believed there were major problems) of their former practices one would think they would be eager to purge the denomination of these old practices.
-Brigitte

Decades of abuse using scripture to convince people that all is as it should be. Decades of cover up by those who know that abuse is taking place. Decades of not being willing to acknowledge scriptural heresy but asking those who who bring up concerns to leave. Decades of this....decades. And an apology or repentance should be sufficient?Are you kidding me? ... B.K., M.D. and M.B. are unfit to be in a position of authority because they lack healthy boundaries and have a pattern of covering up sin that goes back decades!!!!!!!!! This entire GCx Evergreen "church" operates this way. The system is so sick how can it possibly become a healthy one? Disband and let people go find a healthy community if they so choose.
-OneOfMany

*Note:  The Evergreen Church (mentioned above) did not disband, but renamed their group “Hometown Church” to attempt to cover their past.

We had a copy of Larry Pile’s book, “Marching to Zion”, in front of us and were puzzled that over the course of several months we could not get an Evergreen [GCx] pastor to EVEN LOOK at the book. We were actually hoping one would look at it and refute it.  So, we asked the pastor, “Why won’t you even look at this book?” The answer he gave was, “I don’t need to because I know the hearts of all the Evergreen pastors.” That was frightening. Who can judge someone’s heart? According to the Bible, God is the only one who can judge a heart. ... I told him about how the plurality of elders thing can also work as a cover up group. The example I gave was how when this man gave a message at an all church gathering and referred to ECC church members by saying “you are my bride” not one elder called for a public correction… [though] three knew our concerns and agreed this teaching was “off”.
-MamaD

... The interesting thing I found is that GCx has been made aware of the practices for a long time, by many others and that they have disregarded and hidden the cries of others. It was interesting for me to find out (after I left) of the Statement of Weakness paper put forward years ago, where GCx had initially recognized their error. To my surprise, the same exact things which they claimed to have repented of as a movement were still being practiced.

...in Des Moines, they still try to control whom people date and when they can date them, they still ask for life time commitments to their church alone, they still counsel people to never move from Des Moines and leave their church, they still look down on other churches who "just don't get it", they still preach controlling messages from the pulpit...

I spoke with several former leaders of the church I was at who had left and to a person they all said that they tried to help leadership (the ones given charge of protecting God's flock) see the misguided practices and weights and burdens they were putting on others. My point is that they have had ample opportunity to change.
-DevastedTC

The weaknesses paper that was done in 1991 really means nothing.  There has never been an official renouncing of the False teachings of Jim McCotter.  There has never been an official separation from the teachings of Jim McCotter.
-marie

I think the one I was thinking of was a main session where RW [GCx National Leader] made overtures to Jim McCotter to come back and join them. This fact was denied and "spun" when I approached leadership. I would say that it is a fact that in 2004 there was no remorse for the practices supposedly apologized for in the weakness paper and I would say little had changed. ...

I met with leaders and told them what I saw happening that I felt was unbiblical and harmful to the sheep they were supposed to be leading. The result of me trying to be honest led to shunning (no, it wasn't in my head), my grievances being addressed and targeted from the pulpit and the pastor telling me that it was just me and nobody else had ever had the experience I had. When I left, I found out that there were numerous others who had the exact same experience I had. I felt lied to and deceived.

It is not changing. Everything that had been voiced publicly by...had been voiced by others before him, including myself. Leadership pretends to be sincere when listening to objections and pretends that they are unaware of them but they are not.

After, I found the weakness paper that came out in 1991 and realized that everything I experienced had been admitted as sinful years ago and since I was still experiencing it, not repented of. ... I do feel that the recurring issues that keep happening on this forum dating all the way back to the weakness paper in 1991 will not go away because they are related to bad theology.
-Outtathere

We asked one of our founding pastors and he deceived us by saying he vaguely remembered a statement of clarification. He offered to find us a copy and never did. We got our copy from Larry Pile. Furthermore, you can find notes to a RW talk where he suggests that maybe this paper was too strong and that it was an honor to be considered a cult back then. So, they sort of back down from the apology. Clearly, what is missing in this "apology", was public confession, correction of error, and accountability. Obviously, this was not so much an "apology" as it was a PR move to make them look humble and get them off of cult watch lists.

They never publicly corrected the teaching. This is what they do. They don't correct bad teaching. They merely remove it. I'm happy that those who started GCx library have these audio files.

I do not believe GC leaders have acknowledged their error, corrected error or, apologized for their error. Their behavior reflects their blindness. They haven't apologized because they are spiritually blind and cannot see. The GC way is the blind way. They sincerely believe they are right and we (people pointing out their error) are bad.

Clearly, we will know GC is on the right track when they 1) acknowledge their error (as often as necessary), 2) make public correction of their error, and 3) stop criticizing people who point out their error. As mentioned in caps in my post, THEY NEVER MADE A PUBLIC CORRECTION OF THEIR ERROR. That is huge and very telling.
-Linda

Yes, this has been my experience as well. They're sorry to have been caught. They'll do a quick, cold PR campaign and then it's back to business as usual. This behavior really concerns me because I believe that conviction from the Holy Spirit and true repentance is one of the main signs of one's salvation. I'm not God and it's not my place to judge whether others are saved or not, but it makes me greatly concerned when those who claim the name of Christ lack any semblance of real humility.
-TJ

Every now and then I would see something that would give me hope and think that things were beginning to change. The worst is when people in leadership started saying that they were aware of problems and that changes were taking place. However, over time, tradition would win out. So many of my friends are staying because they want to change things in their local church. The sad thing is, things won't change locally unless they change nationally.
-MarthaH

...they [GCx National Leaders] were being paid (or "supported") to keep watch and protect the churches from false teachings.  They failed miserably with regard to apostleship, but have never repented or apologized in public. ... All the National Elders, regardless of how they have deluded themselves over the years, owe a "national" public apology / repentance for:

1) supporting McCotter's spiritual gifts conference,
2) supporting McCotter's apostleship book publication,
3) not publicly denouncing McCotter's heresies (their biblical job was to protect the churches from false teachings--it was what they were paid to do!),
4) lying about why McCotter left,
5) attacking those of us who left in 1985.
-Ever A Student

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:42:02 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Del
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 02:38:18 am »

Liz said, "I started really healing after that, and found a new love for God and his Word. I am now doing what I love, and what I think God made me to do."
AMEN to THAT, Liz!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:06:11 am by Del » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 11:18:15 pm »

Oh my gosh!  This article is SO TELLING!  It pretty much describes what has happened to us in GCx Churches.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard it so aptly put before.  It is long, but full of such good stuff, so I am just posting the first part today with excerpting only the HIGHLY pertinent sections.  All the bold emphasis is mine.  You can find the full article via the link at the bottom.

”WHEN CHURCH LEADERS ABUSE CHURCH DISCIPLINE

By Jack Hughes

Sadly, church discipline is often not performed according to the Scriptures. There are times when church discipline becomes an act of revenge, exasperation, or an excuse to hurt someone who doesn’t agree, or who is asking legitimate questions, or who won’t obey unbiblical edicts from controlling church leaders. ...

... having a different ministry philosophy, asking questions, or wanting answers for why the leadership is doing something isn’t a sin. The Apostle Paul praised the Bereans because they questioned his teachings, investigating the Scriptures to see if what Paul was teaching was biblical (Acts 17:11). He didn’t discipline them for questioning him, even though he was an Apostle, he praised them and held them up as examples to follow.

But men are proud. They often don’t want to admit they have failed. They sometimes get angry, vengeful, and seek to achieve unity in the church with the club of church discipline instead of humbly obeying the Word of God out of love. They set up their own inquisition and drive away all who dare question their authority. Sadly, it is often those who want to honor the Lord the most, who become targets of their wrath. Truth seekers become a thorn in the flesh to leaders who have something to hide. When you are in sin, holiness and truth are convicting and threaten to expose you. Sadly, those pushing for holiness and truth are often vilified as divisive, factious, and quickly disciplined out of the church without biblical warrant or procedure. This is why it is critical that we not bend, nor ignore, the criteria of elder qualifications (I Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9).

Consequences Of Abusing Church Discipline

When church leaders abuse church discipline, the Holy Spirit is grieved (I Pet. 5:3), the sheep suffer (Jer. 10:21), and sin rather than holiness prevails. Leaders, above everyone else in the church are called upon to display the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23; Titus 2:7). Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control should be apparent in their lives. ...

When the leadership does not take the path of humility and confession, and they refuse to own up to their own sins, their motives quickly shift away from glorifying God and loving their sheep. Instead of promoting holiness in the fear of God and seeking what is best for the flock of God, they seek to protect themselves. The fear of being found out often causes leaders with something to hide to become heavy handed. Instead of acting slowly and patiently in love to promote holiness in the church, according to the Word of God, they act rashly in anger and revenge. They modify, twist, or ignore the Scriptures in order to protect themselves. The purposes of church discipline are completely ignored. The motives of church leaders who are trying to hide their sins are selfish, and desperation makes them act harshly.

This is especially true if the sins of the leadership are severe or if they have been ignored for a long time. As they live in unconfessed sin, grieving the Holy Spirit, they are plagued with guilt, but they fear coming clean because they themselves are living in unconfessed sin. They know that if anyone found out, they would be disqualified from leadership. Thus they find unity in trying to protect themselves, dealing harshly with those who might expose them.

Indicators That The Leaders May Be Hiding In Sin

When the leadership of the church is in sin and has something to hide, certain indicators are usually present. Guilty leadership often treat as an enemy anyone who disagrees with them or seeks to humbly confront them in the fruit of the Spirit. Sternness, warnings, and threatenings are apparent, not love, care, and concern. The sheep become scared of the leadership, not the Lord. Leaders in sin will often quickly condemn godly individuals who ask questions, labeling them as “divisive,” “contentious,” “factious,” and “causing disunity among the brothers.” Truth and holiness end up being turned upside down and the congregation often has no way of knowing which end is up.

Another common indicator that leadership is in sin is when they impose gag orders. The Scriptures never prescribes placing gag orders on anyone, either the entire church or individuals being disciplined. ...

Leaders who impose gag orders, threaten people with discipline for asking questions, talking about what has happened, or talking to the person being disciplined are leaders who have wandered far from the Word of God. Surely gag orders and threats are the tactics of desperate men with sin in their own lives. The Scriptures don’t prescribe Nazi propaganda and information control tactics in the form of gag orders.

Another sign that something is amiss among the leadership is when they aim for character assassination rather than dealing with specific sins addressed from specific Scriptures in the Bible. They might bring up issues long dealt with as if they are current issues of ongoing unrepentant sin in order to increase the weight of their character assassination. It has nothing to do with lovingly shepherding the flock. Half-truths are told with critical facts left out in order to create an unjust and false impression of the person being disciplined. By assassinating a person’s character they hope to discredit the person, discourage people from talking to them, and this is how they “handle” the congregation to decrease their chances of being exposed.

Men of truth have nothing to hide. They don’t fear examination or even the need to confess their own sin. It is true they can’t divulge confidential information about a person. However, once something becomes public, it is open to public discussion. Leaders who are humbly obeying the truth in love do not fear examination, dialogue, discussion, or explaining themselves. “Just trust us” isn’t enough if there is evidence that the leadership is untrustworthy. Proverbs 18:17 reminds us, "The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." Beware of those who seek to control information so that you only hear their side of the story. Beware of those who become heavy handed when you seek to expose things hidden in darkness (Eph. 5:11-14). Those who walk in the light do not fear being examined by the light. ...

Church leaders are responsible to shepherd the flock, but their authority begins and ends with the Word of God. They have no authority outside the authority of Scripture. ...

If the leadership of a local church neglects to obey the Word of God themselves, they have no authority to discipline anyone out of the church until they themselves repent. The Scriptures require that leaders who continued in sin be “rebuked in the presence of all” so that the entire congregation will know they are not to be followed anymore as leaders and so the congregation will be fearful of continuing in any sin themselves, seeing that even the leadership is not exempt from rebuke (I Tim. 5:20).”

Link to Full Article:
https://www.drivennails.com/for-preachers/when-church-leaders-abuse-church-discipline782015

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:55:17 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Vince Capobianco
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 02:38:06 pm »

x
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:38:53 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 09:27:54 pm »

“Disregard them! They are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”
(Matthew 15:14)

“Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.”
(Luke 6: 39-40)

-Jesus
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:31:07 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 08:49:59 pm »

WHEN CHURCH LEADERS ABUSE CHURCH DISCIPLINE

By Jack Hughes

(Continued from Above)

Long Term Consequences of Unconfessed Sin Among The Leadership

The long-term consequences of unconfessed sin in the leadership and the abuse of church discipline is that the sheep suffer. The flock of God is not cared for by loving shepherds. Instead the congregation is controlled by fear and intimidation. Those needing counsel become fearful of confiding in the leadership. If leaders remain in sin, “Ichabod” will be upon that church until they repent and humbly step down (1 Sam. 4:21-22). Holiness will decline when those leading the church are not holy themselves. The church will continue to suffer. In some cases Jesus will remove a church’s lamp-stand and make war against a church with corrupt leadership. As a result the church will become liberal and/or die (Rev. 2:5, 16).

What Should You Do When The Leadership Abuses Church Discipline?

First, don’t fear men; fear God (Lk. 12:4-5). If the congregation fears the leadership something is terribly wrong. Yet it is still necessary to seek holiness, truth, and what is best for the church and the glory of God.

Listen to what the Apostle Peter says in I Pet. 3:13-17:

“Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame. For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong”

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:14:51 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 08:01:48 pm »

Shepherds Without Grace

This is one of many uncaring, unloving, and callous “counseling” encounters in GCx chronicled here.  Hopefully, we’ve learned that God’s compassion is unlike what Shepherds without God’s Grace do and say.

At the end of that year, the Lord gifted my husband with hope. He started to get excited for the future, for finding his purpose. A lot of monkey-wrenches happened, and then the Lord showed my husband that my husband is capable. Capable of providing, and capable of functioning, and capable of getting better - at least externally. My husband asked for help a lot. This is the part that for me, is the hardest. We were still attending the other church [GCx Church], and my husband opened up and described the depression and the self-loathing and the feeling far from God. Unfortunately, he was met with a lot of shaming. "What are you doing about it?" "Well, are you reading your bible every day?" "If you don't seek God you'll never get better."  Only one person ever suggested for him to see a professional counselor, but we were so embedded in the system that he wasn't willing to take the advice at that time. Though he asked and asked for help, no one was really willing to give it. To just be with him as he felt this pain.

After we left, my husband did what I had quietly been expecting for some time. He said he didn't know if he believed in God anymore. He said he'd bought into a system for a long time thinking it was right, and he ended up being horribly wrong.
-Wingless Butterfly

What seems quite certain in the above real story is that the “godly men (leaders)” this man went to in GCx had a choice to genuinely reach out to him and be transparent about their own struggles or those of other members (anonymously of course) to assure him he was not alone. To be alive is to sometimes experience trouble and struggle, so surely they themselves had experienced stress, doubt, depression, or despondency. As men who supposedly knew God intimately (kind of like David did) they could have shared how discouraged or despairing they may have felt (in the past) and then, in what compassionate ways or words God comforted them and assured them of hope; and how he rescued them from their distress.  

Obviously, they did not do this, but instead heaped more weight of shame and guilt to his already failing frame.  How unlike God they were. How ungodly. They chose pride and selfish ambition over  ‘Loving their Brother as Themselves’. They choose not to be honest with one another as the Bible commands.  I’m not saying they had to go into great detail about their own humanness, but in the least say, “Been there, done that, and that there is much hope. We can tell you from our own experience.” I strongly suspect that there was not the brotherly LOVE that Jesus taught, but competitive jealousy silencing any possible talk of real weakness among prideful “godly men.” I also feel that they may not have had many of those genuine and intimate times of encouragement from God with which to actually share with this hurting man.

A few verses come to mind as I think about this kind of scenario which is not unfamiliar to this site.

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit,
but in humility count others more significant than yourselves."

Philippians 2:3    ESV

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4     (Berean Study Bible)

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me
and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.

Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Matthew 11:28-30    (The Message)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:44:07 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 08:19:52 pm »

Shepherds Without Grace

The need to keep excessive commitment and exploitation of members secret resulted in many such private meetings with GCx leaders.  Members were persuasively advised to seek counsel of all kinds inside the group.  They were taught to avoid or assign little weight to counsel from parents, college advisors, psychologists, psychiatrists, licensed counselors, pastors and here, even physicians outside the group.  Of course, the obvious question is why would secluding people and their experience be so strongly recommended if there was nothing to hide?  Why does GCx still tell it’s members it is sinful to read this Forum to learn from others outside their group?

We were constantly being organized into new teams with confusing new assignments. They kept us too busy to ask questions about who was making these decisions, and why. Each grand new plan was simply presented to us as a fait accompli, and we did our best to keep up. Sadly, I didn't do such a good job of keeping up. I grew quite ill from the strain; and when the M.D. recommended certain medications, my team leaders promptly sent me to a private meeting with an elder, whose counsel mainly boiled down to: "Nobody but us knows what's best for you."
-ISU Alumna

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:53:51 am by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 06:27:08 pm »

Nullifying God’s Word

“The second is this: ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’
There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Mark 12:31

The issues below I feel we’re not sincerely and regretfully apologized for toward many that were told to alter their lives to carry out what GCx leaders and churches labeled “God’s will to spread the gospel” when in actuality it was to build up and spread their own kingdom, not God’s.  They made void the Commandment of God by oppressing their people with GCx’s self-serving traditions.  If they were really loving God with all their heart, they would have also loved his people as themselves instead of lording over and exploiting them.  They got way off track of who they were serving.  Their pride causes them to refuse to let go of worshiping and fearing man and publically confess this sin to the people they wounded, rather than humbly honor God and truly love their neighbor.

“he is no longer permitted to do anything for his father or mother. Thus you nullify the word of God by the tradition you have handed down. And you do so in many such matters.”

Mark 7:12-13

As more and more people throughout the movement have had the same questions and expressed the same disagreements with GCI's doctrine and practice, the leadership has become increasingly authoritarian in order to maintain control over the members. In fact, recent teaching by leaders who work directly under McCotter in Maryland asserts that the Bible is authoritative over only 40% of a person's life (i.e., is black and white on certain issues, like adultery, etc.) but in anything not specifically spelled out in Scriptures, it is the leaders' perogative to interpret, direct and counsel specifically and authoritatively. This concept (in more general terms) has been around in the movement for a long time, and has resulted in much harmful meddling by leaders in the private lives of group members in such areas as: the choice of marriage partners; the purchase of cars, homes, etc.; pursuit or non-pursuit of higher education; location of residence; choice of occupation; use or non-use of birth-control methods; adoption of children: child-raising; and much else. Much damage has been done by the simplistic, uninformed, and plain wrong advice and dictates of inexperienced and arrogant young men, posing as wise counselors, who must be obeyed.
-Mike Royal

THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
‘AND IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN.’
Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men
.”

He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. For Moses said, ‘HONOR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER’; and, ‘THE ONE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER, IS CERTAINLY TO BE PUT TO DEATH’;
but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’
you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother;
thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down;
and you do many things such as that
.”

Mark 7:6-13

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:18:24 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 06:50:02 pm »

"In fact, recent teaching by leaders who work directly under McCotter in Maryland asserts that the Bible is authoritative over only 40% of a person's life (i.e., is black and white on certain issues, like adultery, etc.) but in anything not specifically spelled out in Scriptures, it is the leaders' prerogative to interpret, direct and counsel specifically and authoritatively."

My heart just breaks for all the people who handed over control of their lives to people who had so little care or respect for them. What a wicked teaching.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 09:36:46 pm »

Celebrity Status in GCx

Recently, I was introduced to a newcomer to our church. My mind on other things, I didn’t initiate much conversation with her. Today I learned through a friend she is the mother of two celebrity men in the music world and mother-in-law to two celebrity women - a very famous movie star and a tv personality. Glad I didn’t know that because I would have embarrassed myself by talking impulsively and asking stupid questions. I do get stupefied when star struck. Years ago my son complained I cared more about his famous doctor than about him when he talked to us on his rounds in the hospital ward. So today I asked God what he might be teaching me. I didn’t seem to perceive an answer UNTIL I thought of the woman cleaning the sidewalks of an entire shopping center that I had encountered early this morning. She looked familiar so I pulled over. She came to greet me. It was the faithful woman who worked behind the deli counter. She is the only one who doesn’t sour when you might be interrupting another task to ask for meat to be cut. We have exchanged a few words over the counter and I believe she is good mom and wife to her family. She is a believer. Today, it hit me that she worked two jobs. She is laying her life down for those she loves. She is a leader and example to her children. But, she is not a celebrity. I have a feeling that I could be serving under her in heaven. ‘The last shall be first’. What a day that will be when we are honored for the inward heart no one sees, and not the outward show many see. It will be a graceful humbling.

Celebrity status became a dysfunctional way of interacting with others in our GCx churches and seemed to color a lot of our performance, leaving too many out in the cold and seemingly insignificant. The ignorant classification of people was quite hurtful toward members of GCx. This included the “fearful” elevation of Jim McCotter and the high status of his appointed “elders”. Some enjoyed celebrity status in GCx Churches like their self-appointed founder. Next, in their pyramid of importance were the “elder’s” personal disciples. All these celebrated positions created the appearance of being unquestionably “spiritual”. GCx’s many teachings also taught or implied as much. But, in fact, MANY of those leaders were not spiritually mature. They may have memorized many scripture verses, and spoke in GCx spiritual lingo, or even had several “disciples” following them; but their arrogance, harshness, jealousy, and impatience did not demonstrate the attitude that was in Christ. Not to mention, the spiritual immaturity in not recognizing a wolf, and warning others about him. It seems those who were ousted for that reason were most often actually the mature ones.

...what lead me to leave GCx was the caste system that exists. Basically, leaders are first class Christians in the church and everyone else is a second class citizen. If you don't agree with the leadership, you are the one who is wrong or who doesn't hear from the Spirit correctly or doesn't know the Bible as well.
- jtk1983

When I was at ECC, it had a sort of caste system feel to me, and I inwardly compared myself to some type of ideal which I could never fully meet. On the flip side, there were particular leaders who seemed to be able to do no wrong, and I pushed away questioning thoughts because of the position they held.
- Free now

Being in the presence of those who emanate Christ and this website have exposed their lack of true Spiritual Annointing from God. I believe many were not sent or called by God to lead or teach his people, starting with the one at the top. Proof of this is in the message they so passionately carried - it was to grow and expand the “Kingdom of GCx”, not really the kingdom of God and it’s accompanying Grace and Truth; enlarging and protecting their pyramid was always of urgent and utmost importance. And, it was done at the frightful cost of it’s “pyramid builders” - God’s children.

This website is full of thousands of instances of harm that this often jealous, insincere and worldly competition type environment created that abused likely tens of thousands of vulnerable believers. What have they done about it? Excused it for proper public relations. Denied it for continued paid employment. Labeled those who spoke up against it as evil slanderers who hate the gospel. Slyly rewritten their history.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:54:33 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: