Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:23:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banning GCx Trolls  (Read 7876 times)
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: June 22, 2018, 11:13:48 am »

I know that our forum doesn't generally have a policy of keeping out GCx people from it, but as the nature of this forum is to help survivors of spiritual abuse from these organizations, I feel it is paramount that this place remain a place of healing. If these folks want to join in and engage in positive communication, and healing -- asking where people are coming from, and trying to be understanding -- that is one thing. But it is quite another for them to join here, basically persecute folks for sharing their experience and their stories of abuse and exposing fake Christianity and fake righteousness -- in an effort to silence people who NEED to speak out and NEED to expose the leaders they so wish to shield from the light of truth and accountability. Simply put, loving someone is NOT and will NEVER be enough from keeping the light of truth from exposing their misdeeds. LOVING someone doesn't mean someone is innocent of the wrongs many people have experienced under their burdensome leadership.

This behavior is tantamount to spiritual abuse in and of itself, and that should truly not be allowed in this forum.
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 11:29:35 am »

I am starting to agree with this. I do not like calling for blocking people, and am still not sure we should. But they are being rather disruptive and rude and are refusing to participate in sound conversation. This is not about simply blocking people I disagree with. It goes beyond simply disagreeing with them at this point.

I assume this is a privately paid for and owned website, correct? There is no inherent right to use someone else’s private site in ways the owner doesn’t agree with. People who refuse to adhere to the rules and goals of this website do not have some inherent right to use it. They can go start their own forum if they don’t like the rules on this one. 

I am NOT in favor of blocking all GCx members. Just ones who cross certain lines.
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:34:23 am »

I am NOT in favor of blocking all GCx members. Just ones who cross certain lines.

Yes -- this is what I mean. People who do not contribute anything positive to this forum, not even constructive disagreement, just sheer constant negativity and the constant need to deny or silence the stories of others, are people who should not be here. This was environment we sought to get away from in the first place. When we stood up against situations, and we got called liars, or bad Christians -- or people just wanting to attack or hurt good people.

It should NOT be that we are called bad Christians for wanting to call out false prophets and abusive leaders and their shameful, sinful, and often illegal behaviors. THIS IS NOT OKAY.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:43:14 am »

Wow. I was about to suggest this very thing.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:45:50 am »

We would need a process - like use the site's polling function to vote people off the D'com'd Island  Wink
Fireball
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:47:53 am »

You guys are just upset that your ,"safe space" is being disrupted with truths.
DarthVader
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:50 am »

And we have our first nominee  Wink
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 11:49:57 am »

Actually -- it would appear it is GCx people whom are upset that their little safe space is being disrupted by our forum of truth and spiritual abuse survivors. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here defending the indefensible. But nice try.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 12:07:55 pm »

I am trying to be compassionate. Mind control is powerful and it is apparent that it has a strong grip on some GCM members interpretation on reality. But the constant interference with productive conversation is getting old. If you think the abuses posted here are in error then go start your own forum and discuss what you do at your church there.
FeministRebel
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:55 pm »

I am trying to be compassionate. Mind control is powerful and it is apparent that it has a strong grip on some GCM members interpretation on reality. But the constant interference with productive conversation is getting old. If you think the abuses posted here are in error then go start your own forum and discuss what you do at your church there.

Well said.
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 01:02:17 pm »

Oh, oh, I know this one!

It's "begging the question." That is, assuming that his side is "the truth," when the truthfulness of his side is one of the very issues in question.

EDIT TO ADD: Do I also detect a whiff of ad hominem in the implication that we aren't interested in the truth?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:06:06 pm by Huldah » Logged
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:28:04 pm »

They will just keep coming back, unless the mods can ban an IP? Idk what power they have here, but banning them will never get rid of a troll....
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 07:01:29 am »

They will just keep coming back, unless the mods can ban an IP? Idk what power they have here, but banning them will never get rid of a troll....

I mentioned the problem on this forum to the admin of another site for abuse victims. She says she rarely gets trolls any more, because they've learned that they're simply not tolerated on her website. She says they're drawn to sites that give them a platform for their views.
OneOfMany
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 07:02:25 am »

I mentioned the problem on this forum to the admin of another site for abuse victims. She says she rarely gets trolls any more, because they've learned that they're simply not tolerated on her website. She says they're drawn to sites that give them a platform for their views.

Did she block them?
Huldah
Private Forum Access

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 07:11:24 am »

Her site has comment moderation enabled on all comments, which is a time-consuming option that wouldn't suit a forum like this one. Blocking users and IPs would work better on a site like this one.
araignee19
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 12:00:50 pm »

Well, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If we stop responding, stop engaging, and just turn away when they throw insults or attacks, they will have lost their platform. Even if they can’t be (or won’t be) banned, we have the power to take away their voice.

Again, I do NOT mean this in relation to current GCx members who actually want to engage in productive conversation. Just those who come here with the sole goal of tearing forum users down and attacking in defense of their “movement” or leaders.
wynter

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:26:14 pm »

Huh?119.1demoBettRemiAlicHuh?Huh?OzdoHuh?Huh?Huh?ThorSter1568Huh?PensTescJeff1018Huh?Huh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?IsaaXVIIDelpPatt1911KBITMariHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?UrsuWhelHuh?EscaXVIIKariTescHuh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?SmilHuh?DAIWJellCotoUselHuh?PrivHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?tranSergAmbrWindShelPoulBrenEnig
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?EmilRafaHuh?ZoneHuh?Huh?SwarHuh?XXXIHuh?CollFuxiHuh?Huh?MichRusiELEGZoneHuh?
SigmZoneHuh?HenrJohnGeorZoneZoneZoneHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?HenrHuh?Huh?Huh?
ZoneHuh?Huh?GradHuh?EvenHotpZanuHuh?ThisNeroPinaVirgPardHuh?Huh?ProfHuh?STARVOLK(HuhHuh?Free
Huh?CreaHuh?AgenHuh?Huh?Huh?wwwnWindWindBOOMPhilPanaHuh?IamsaudiHuh?Huh?noteHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?AlexHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?BerlHuh?SmasInspHuh?BarrHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?PaulHuh?
Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?ForeHuh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?GradGrad
GradDaybNeleHuh?AnnaCollHuh?Huh?GlenJennHuh?Huh?Huh?tuchkasHuh?Huh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: