Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:42:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Church Leadership  (Read 2198 times)
IWishToRemainAnonymous
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« on: September 07, 2020, 09:01:10 am »

This man is really clueless about forms of church governance.

https://youtu.be/aPFk08FLtfs

A little seminary training might have helped. Or, a simple Google search.

https://www.theopedia.com/church-government

These people seem preoccupied with being in charge. It's very telling. It's not about God. It's about THEM.
Huldah
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:09:21 pm »

It's interesting that his arguments in favor of a plurality of elders are the exact same arguments  used at Solid Rock in the 70s. Unfortunately, there's no form of church government that's so right or so Scriptural that it can't be exploited by human sin. Character trumps organizational structures. The classic GCx argument is that a plurality of elders can keep an erring elder from going off the rails, but it's equally possible that an erring elder can be so dominant or so persuasive that all the elders end up going off the rails together. We can all think of examples.

I also noticed that he spoke of the importance of strong leaders directing their vision for the church's activities and goals (although I forget exactly how he put it). He seemed to be assuming a model that's heavily based on programs and group activities. However, it's equally valid for a church to be less focused on having lots of corporate activities and more focused on supporting and equipping members as they live out their witness through their individual life activities and responsibilities. This would probably be particularly true in smaller, more rural churches. GCx has mostly been about large urban congregations, which certainly isn't wrong, but it's a very narrow focus.
WoodBern82
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 06:48:56 am »

It is interesting for me that it was the plurality of leadership concept that was an attraction for me to Evergreen.  I had seen the model of pastor driven churches by a single head pastor and I drew the conclusion that the model was the problem and figured the dual leadership in GC churches would be smarter.  Now all the wiser I have to observe that character trumps the greatest church leadership model.  You can structure churches with all the accountability structures you want.  The bottom line is do you have a humble and teachable leader or group of leaders at the helm.  Mark Darling, even in his own sermons, reveals how tough it was for people to correct him.  I could see it in those gathered around him that they shuttered with the idea of challenging him.  The youtube video posted with BKnox speaking had some interesting points.... One was the idea of the unpopular decision making of the pastoral leaders.  A strong leader would have sat down Mark Darling around 2001 (don't remember exact date "Scout" brought forth her concerns)  when he was confronted with his issues and told him.... You are getting counseling and that is NOT any option.  A leader with character would welcome correction.  Mark saw it his way and look what happened.  Any of these models presented in the video are corruptible.  It all reminds me to keep my focus on Christ first and not on men.. even pastors.
WoodBern82
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 08:32:14 am »

Just one more thing to add.. Never trust a leader without a limp as they say.
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 08:32:12 pm »

Thanks for the link.  I agree, it’s about them, not the God of the Bible.

Woe to the Elders who say one thing, but do another.

Hometown Church in Bloomington, Illinois, formerly known as Evergreen Community Church has greatly missed out on opportunities to humble themselves and be honest with their people.  

The “teacher/pastor” in this video mentioned so many neglects and abuses avoided by one who shepherd’s well God’s people.  He goes on and on about what the Bible says.  But, if the men who lead this Church were disciples trained in the GCC [GCM, GCAC, GCI, etc.] Organization (which it seems they are), they learned to “Lord it Over” disrespecting their people, tearing them down, and even deliberately lying to them; rebelling against what the Bible instructs. They do not shepherd God’s people well.  Just because some quote many bible verses, doesn’t mean they practice them.

Would have been a great opportunity to be honest about their historic abuse and tell what they have learned from their mistakes.  Also, if they won’t publically rebuke a horrendously abusive elder/pastor such as their founder Jim McCotter, don’t count on them calling out another abusive pastor.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:54:35 am by IWishToRemainAnonymous » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Janet Easson Martin
Private Forum Access

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 08:44:01 pm »

“The God of The Bible refuses to participate in religious cover up. He puts sin right front and center, and He won’t allow sin, abuse, injustice to be swept under the carpet, nor does He allow it to have the final word.”

-Dr. Joanna Vitale

A few of the practices below rang familiar to what many of in GCx experienced. The link to the open letter is below them.

If you’re in a church that behaves in any of these ways and calls it “submitting to authority” or being “teachable” you may want to rethink your attendance there.

* Coercing vulnerable employees to sign non-disclosure agreements to cover your illegal business practices and sin.

・Speaking to your employees in a manner that was condescending, as well as emotionally and verbally abusive.

・Slandering former employees that quit to new employees, in an attempt to control the narrative around the true nature of their departure.

・Using your ministry platforms to slander dissenters in sermons, YouTube videos, and social media posts, disguised in Christian colloquialisms.

・Gaslighting your employees into thinking that they were called by God to endure your abusive behavior to complete their work assignments.

Full article:
https://www.spiritualabuseendsnow.com/open-letter

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:12:16 pm by Janet Easson Martin » Logged

For grace is given not because we have done good works, but in order that we may be able to do them.        - Saint Augustine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: