Welcome to De-Commissioned, a place for former members of the Great Commission movement (aka GCM, GCC, GCAC, GCI, the Blitz) to discuss problems they've experienced in the association's practices and theology.

You may read and post, but some features are restricted to registered members. Please consider registering to gain full access! Registration is free and only takes a few moments to complete.
De-Commissioned Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:00:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faithwalkers 2017  (Read 10003 times)
Differentstrokes
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« on: December 27, 2017, 09:24:58 am »

If you want to feel sort of sick, go read some seminar descriptions for this year's faithwalkers. Can't believe I bought into this bull**** for so long
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:42:14 pm »

Yeah, you're right.  I now feel sick.  As a woman, I'm SO glad I'm not there to hear the Bovenmeyers'
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:12:30 am »

Well, y'all piqued my curiosity! Yes, some of the titles were Same Ol', Same Ol', but this title and description was quite interesting:
What [Gay] People Need from the Church
Bob Joy & Paul Joy

Room 312-314

Seminar Description: “Between Two Worlds” often describes the experience of someone trying to reconcile their sexuality with their faith. As a Christian, God’s call to true life is confused by fear, loneliness, and misunderstanding. As someone living that reality, Paul has become increasingly convinced that a healthy community makes all the difference. Bob and Paul will share some ways the church can be that place of growth. And it’s really what ALL people need from the church!

Bio: Bob Joy is a pastor at Walnut Creek Church in Des Moines, has six children, and has been married to his wife, Jo, for 35 years. His eldest son, Paul, works in video production and leads a bible study at Walnut Creek Church. He’s personally had to navigate the tension of his homosexuality and his faith. Currently, he believes singleness is his path to honor God in that tension.

Pretty shocking!
nelliepooh
Regular (15-99 Posts)

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:07:56 pm »

Yup same old same old.  Women barefoot and pregnant and not leaders of the church in any form except as the dotting wife.  And of course a seminar to remind all its important to serve the "local church" aka gcm churches.  They will never change.
HopeOfChrist
Obscure Poster (1-14 Posts)

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:22:11 am »

Well, y'all piqued my curiosity! Yes, some of the titles were Same Ol', Same Ol', but this title and description was quite interesting:
What [Gay] People Need from the Church
Bob Joy & Paul Joy

Pretty shocking!

I attended this one, that particular seminar was quite good. Bob is a compassionate and wise man who although taking a controversial stance on sexuality expressed a love for his son and for others of similar sexual orientation while not shifting to an affirming viewpoint. It is worth listening to once the recording comes out on the faithwalkers soundcloud.
margaret
Veteran (100-299 Posts)

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 06:40:07 am »

Thanks, HopeofChrist, for commenting!
Rebel in a Good Way
Private Forum Access
Household Name (300+ Posts)

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:35 pm »

Hope of Christ, what other impressions did you have of the conference?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: